Touchy Subject...

Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

maudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant future
Default Re: Touchy Subject...

Generalizing and judge people by personal impression is very easy but we should remeber is jugment is unfair , because every nation or person has advanages and disadvanages ..like the moon has half light and other is dark .. Racial discrimination or racism are all terms with the legal and political formula..
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

s'funny I dont think I have ever heard anyone say Indians are stupid.

You cant be as devious and crafty as the little brown chaps are without being rather clever I would say

and I dont know who is kidding who here but 99% of the Arabs I have met are lazy and have a little brown man under them to do their work

Racist ? No just an observation.

Damn, is that a racist observation then ?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:12 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Well the Irish are thick, the Scots are tight, the welsh shag sheep, the french- well they are just french.
say what now?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:17 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
s'funny I dont think I have ever heard anyone say Indians are stupid.

You cant be as devious and crafty as the little brown chaps are without being rather clever I would say

and I dont know who is kidding who here but 99% of the Arabs I have met are lazy and have a little brown man under them to do their work

Racist ? No just an observation.

Damn, is that a racist observation then ?
All South Africans are racist is a nationalistic phrase I guess considering the country is a mix of blacks and whites.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

say what now?
Obviously I don't believe it for a second- and of course they are sexy as hell
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tayls123
thought i made my point pretty clear?? im wondering if you consider it to be racist to make a derogatory statement about a nationality of people?
If you want to be at all serious, I think it depends on the context and tone. National stereotypes have been around forever, but are largely just a bit of fun and anyone with any education and a brain knows that they are not to be taken literally.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:45 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
If you want to be at all serious, I think it depends on the context and tone. National stereotypes have been around forever, but are largely just a bit of fun and anyone with any education and a brain knows that they are not to be taken literally.
Tosh. I've been to Switzerland and they are all gnomes. Fodger Rederer included.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Feb 12th 2012 at 8:45 am. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I've just met an Emirati.

Has no maids (he called them servants), has 9 children, all educated and working 50/50 private/public sector, he studied in the UK and US from HND to Degree to Masters and then worked his way up.

I'd say he is an exception to the rule....

I think generalisations are easily done, I am guilty more than most of it, but I do try to remain conscious that each individual needs to be taken on merit....to an extent.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat141; Feb 12th 2012 at 9:00 am.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:27 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

trawling through some of the comments littered throughout this board, i see a lot of 'generalisation'...the same people seem to be quick to defend themselves as not racist.

the dictionary defines racism as: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

so again (and im only asking, not excusing) do you think its racist to say arabs are lazy? or indians are stupid?
yes
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:04 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

If a statement that's true is racist does it make it less valid or true?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I so thought this thread was going to be about either Jackson or Glitter... :/
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Note: i dont hold these views, trying to understand why people feel its okay to make comments like this and still not consider themselves racist...
nobody holds these views and thinks they're not racists... OK sit down Norm...

Seriously though. People do it to be provocative, or something like that. Attention seekers. They all end up on their own, or in a group of Clarkson-mulleted friends. Would you say it at work? If not, don't say it to strangers, for a start.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Really? I've not heard that before? whats wrong with our teeth?
It's an ancient joke from way back when British dentistry was on a par with Somalia's. That's not too long ago either- I guess a few people's grandparents had their teeth all extracted by the age of 35.

I happen to know about this and I have a little box full of molars from random dead people.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually seven seas when you say it like that my granny has all false teeth ( had then all taken out after coming too during a dental operation 60 odd years ago), my grandad was also all dentures and my dad has one tooth left ( but has false teeth too) - I guess he just had poor dental care- war baby and all that! Never really thought about it before- so you mean not all old people have false teeth?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not at all, for a while pretty much everyone had their teeth extracted. I think Glasgow had it especially bad in the fifties.

Scottish teeth were so bad a generation ago that a lot of people just decided they'd be better off without them - 'A girl,' the Edinburgh dentist says, 'would often have all her teeth pulled when she was 18, and get a nice set of dentures, so as not to be a trouble to her husband when she married.' This may sound like legend, but it's a fact that in 1972 an amazing 44% of Scots over 16 had no teeth at all.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rink.features2

Last edited by seven seas; Feb 12th 2012 at 5:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.