Touchy Subject...

Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:22 am
Account Closed

tayls123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Touchy Subject...

is racial profiling the same as being a racist...

for example...americans are notorious for making jokes about the state of british teeth...is this racist?

if i make fun of...lets say arabs for being predominantly lazy...does that make me racist or observant?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touchy Subject...

Originally Posted by tayls123

for example...americans are notorious for making jokes about the state of british teeth...is this racist?

if i make fun of...lets say arabs for being predominantly lazy...does that make me racist or observant?
interesting, as not all Arabs are lazy, I would say you are generalising
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:28 am
Account Closed

so you wouldn't consider it racist?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

so you wouldn't consider it racist?
no I don't think I would, it is no different than saying scousers are all tea leafs, it's a generalisation
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

americans are notorious for making jokes about the state of british teeth
Really? I've not heard that before? whats wrong with our teeth?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Kittycat... its a staple of american humour to take the michael out of the general british public's state of dental hygiene...
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

It depends....

Too lazy right now to explain things

Yup Americans make fun of Brit's teeth all the time. All in good fun though, doesn't come across as vindictive. They also joke about the French and to a lesser extent continental Euros not being too concerned with personal hygiene.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Feb 12th 2012 at 5:40 am.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
no I don't think I would, it is no different than saying scousers are all tea leafs, it's a generalisation
so if someone comments on all asian women in the middle east being 'pros' or all indians are stupid...does this cross the line? where is the line between generalisation

Note: i dont hold these views, trying to understand why people feel its okay to make comments like this and still not consider themselves racist...
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

hmm- I thought that was the chinese... and as for the americans don't they all have ludicrously white teeth? those in glass houses.

Well the irish are thick, the scots are tight, the welsh shag sheep, the french- well they are just french.

Personally I think the world is far too international now to make these sweeping statements, although having said that every scottish man I've known has short arms and deep pockets
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:43 am
Concierge

so if someone comments on all asian women in the middle east being 'pros' or all indians are stupid...does this cross the line? where is the line between generalisation

Note: i dont hold these views, trying to understand why people feel its okay to make comments like this and still not consider themselves racist...
well then they would be stupid as we all know that all Asian women are not Pro's, and all Indian's are not stupid, so that is generalising. Do you consider some one as being racist for making these comments?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kittycat1
hmm- I thought that was the chinese... and as for the americans don't they all have ludicrously white teeth? those in glass houses.

Well the irish are thick, the scots are tight, the welsh shag sheep, the french- well they are just french.

Personally I think the world is far too international now to make these sweeping statements, although having said that every scottish man I've known has short arms and deep pockets
and the english?? interestingly enough you missed them out...
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

and the english?? interestingly enough you missed them out...
The English are the sheep
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:49 am
Account Closed

well then they would be stupid as we all know that all Asian women are not Pro's, and all Indian's are not stupid, so that is generalising. Do you consider some one as being racist for making these comments?
trawling through some of the comments littered throughout this board, i see a lot of 'generalisation'...the same people seem to be quick to defend themselves as not racist.

the dictionary defines racism as: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

so again (and im only asking, not excusing) do you think its racist to say arabs are lazy? or indians are stupid?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:55 am
Concierge

trawling through some of the comments littered throughout this board, i see a lot of 'generalisation'...the same people seem to be quick to defend themselves as not racist.

the dictionary defines racism as: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

so again (and im only asking, not excusing) do you think its racist to say arabs are lazy? or indians are stupid?
and your point is?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:57 am
Account Closed

and your point is?
thought i made my point pretty clear?? im wondering if you consider it to be racist to make a derogatory statement about a nationality of people?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.