Tipping

Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Round-Bum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tipping

Not rubbish - tipping folks for their services.

Arrived into Riyadh late last night and headed for the compound. Reception should have been open, but wasn't, so one of the guards from the gate sorted us with our rooms (carried bags and everything) and, when we asked about getting refreshments that late at night, called the shopkeeper of a little store which we reckon is there for the guards' use, not the expats, and he opened up for us.

Now, based on experience in Egypt, I felt tips were in order, but my oppo said it wasn't necessary. He being the one holding the cash (hadn't stopped at an ATM at this point) no tip was forthcoming.

What's the general rule in KSA for tipping?

There will be many more questions, I'm sure. Watch this space...
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping

Originally Posted by Round-Bum

Arrived into Riyadh late last night and headed for the compound. Reception should have been open, but wasn't, so one of the guards from the gate sorted us with our rooms (carried bags and everything) and, when we asked about getting refreshments that late at night, called the shopkeeper of a little store which we reckon is there for the guards' use, not the expats, and he opened up for us.

Now, based on experience in Egypt, I felt tips were in order, but my oppo said it wasn't necessary. He being the one holding the cash (hadn't stopped at an ATM at this point) no tip was forthcoming.

Personally I would get a new friend!! Why would he think it unnecessary to reward the security guy AND the shopkeeper for his help. Please go and get some cash, then see the security man and explain that you didn't have cash yesterday and give him a good tip, then go to the shopkeeper and thank him for opening for you and give him something as well.
I can't actually believe that you need telling this darling!!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Personally I would get a new friend!! Why would he think it unnecessary to reward the security guy AND the shopkeeper for his help. Please go and get some cash, then see the security man and explain that you didn't have cash yesterday and give him a good tip, then go to the shopkeeper and thank him for opening for you and give him something as well.
I can't actually believe that you need telling this darling!!
I kinda didn't need telling, having had some limited experience in the ME, but being new to KSA just thought I'd check. I'll educate my friend Thanks PS
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

Hm, generally in KSA there is little tipping and certainly nothing like the baksheesh (?sp) in Egypt. Many people probably would not tip in your situation, though I think it would have been a thoughtful gesture. If you can go back to the shop to say thank-you, grab a few more things and tip him as well. I would suggest chocolates or sweets for the guard (a good idea regardless).
We tip at restaurants, the pizza delivery boy and if a store assistant brings anything out to the car. I also tip the local street cleaners when I see them as they have the worst job/pay in this country. I would like to tip the bag packers but it feels awkward in front of the cashier so don't. I'm not sure of the etiquette of tipping the petrol pump guys, but if I had a car I probably would.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:56 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

pretty much zero tipping in KSA for day to day stuff outside of good service in a cafe or restaurant.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
pretty much zero tipping in KSA for day to day stuff outside of good service in a cafe or restaurant.
And people say that I am mean! I would always tip taxi drivers, gardeners, cleaners and such like (as well as waiters) when I was in Saudi.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:25 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
And people say that I am mean! I would always tip taxi drivers, gardeners, cleaners and such like (as well as waiters) when I was in Saudi.
You are still mean. Maybe I am mean alongside you though. As I drove myself and had the company's own staff doing all the other stuff for me I didn't personally have any interaction with the list of people you did.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:20 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Whilst in KSA I used to tip the petrol dude, the packer who also brought my stuff to the car, the pizza delivery man and similar. I would have definitely tipped in the the OPs situation..
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:36 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the Toilet attendants. They always get a 50 from me if their ablutions don't stink of shit and piss.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 11:05 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Apropos of nothing, but what an interesting user name you have..especially when you're going to be living (?) in Saudi.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Apropos of nothing, but what an interesting user name you have..especially when you're going to be living (?) in Saudi.
Yes, well, I did say in my intro (which I'm sure was read by all members ) that I was regretting the user name almost as soon as I created the account.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I shall revert to tipping, albeit not on the scale of that in Egypt. It feels right and is, after all, very little by way of effort and money in the great scheme of things and showing appreciation may lead to helpful local "friends" in the future!

Now, just need to find the nearest ATM... in fact, just need to make it off the compound...