Reload this Page >

Timmy McColl - One Year On

Timmy McColl - One Year On

Old May 23rd 2013, 6:01 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Timmy MacColl - One Year On

So it's a year ago on Monday that Able Seaman T MacColl went missing and there still isn't any information on what has happened.

Gulf News ran this this morning and have come out with three options (pretty much as we have already agreed. I must say the second of the three I believe is still the most likely.

Interesting in point two where his missus insists it's not even him on CCTV.

1 Timmy fell into the sea 
and drowned
What lends it credibility: Timmy was heavily drunk when he left the Rock Bottom Café at 2.10am and took a cab for Port Rashid where his ship HMS Westminster was docked. It’s quite possible he fell into the sea as he was boarding the ship and drowned and his body was dragged away after being caught in the propeller blade of another vessel or the HMS Westminster itself when it sailed the following day.

What goes against it: Timmy’s body was never found when British Royal Navy ship HMS Middleton swept Dubai’s coast using hi-tech cameras and sensors in July.
Sea currents wash everything onto shore. If he’d drowned, his body would have washed ashore.
Port Rashid has security fences and sentry points. Given its layout, it’s unlikely that someone could fall into the sea here.

2 Kidnapped or murdered
What lends it credibility: CCTV footage of Timmy leaving Rock Bottom café was the key to the investigation. But now it appears that the man caught on camera is not Timmy, His wife Rachel, 26, and policeman uncle Neil Cunningham have disputed the CCTV footage. “It’s not my husband…I know what he looks like, how he stands. The CCTV might not be clear, but I know what he was wearing... his mannerisms... I am the one person in the world who can identify who he is,” said Rachel. So could it be that he picked an argument with someone and got killed or is being held captive?

What goes against it: It is highly improbable that someone would have killed Timmy. He had come to Dubai just days back and hardly knew anyone here let alone have enemies. If he were kidnapped for money, there would have been a ransom demand.

3 Timmy went AWOL (Absent Without Official Leave) 
of his own volition
What lends it credibility: The walkaway theory may look highly unlikely but it is something that cannot be ruled out. What drums up the speculation that he staged his own disapperance is the fact that he sent back his credit card with his shipmates before parting ways with them at the Dubai Seafarer’s Mission on his last day in Dubai. Why would he do that? Could it be that he wanted to break all contacts and start life anew?

What goes against it: The world isn’t that big anymore for someone to vanish. Technology would have caught up him by now. It is impossible for someone to survive for so long with no access to finances. Timmy’s relatives claim he was very close to his family and would never do anything like that.

Last edited by Kix; May 23rd 2013 at 6:12 am. Reason: Adding and "a" to his name - sorry
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timmy McColl - One Year On

I rarely read the Gulf news (because it 1000 pages thick)

Does it have better writing than other papers?

I get sick of reading WAM press releases copied verbatim.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yes point two is the most believable, first I have heard about it not being him in the CCTV clip.
Old May 26th 2013, 4:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.7daysindubai.com/PHOTO-TI...ail/story.html
Old May 26th 2013, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

"Mobile network forensics experts should be able to tell which areas of Dubai Timmy was in and when, using data sent by his mobile phone to masts, repeaters and beacons in Dubai."

“The police have not done any analysis on the phone"

Riiiiiight. Very fishy
Old May 26th 2013, 5:57 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
"Mobile network forensics experts should be able to tell which areas of Dubai Timmy was in and when, using data sent by his mobile phone to masts, repeaters and beacons in Dubai."

“The police have not done any analysis on the phone"

Riiiiiight. Very fishy
This is so micky mouse, pretty much the exact route the phone (not necessarily he) took can be plotted via either Etisalat or Du - no matter where the sim was from, he's roaming on one or both of those networks. It works by using three different masts/ground stations etc (your phone is usually connected to a minimum of 3), that way, using relatively simple geometry and the strength of each signal from each mast, (or looking at a screen) the path can be plotted.

If something this basic wasn't followed up then questions do indeed need to be asked.

It's also pretty damned accurate.
Old May 26th 2013, 6:36 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Kix
This is so micky mouse, pretty much the exact route the phone (not necessarily he) took can be plotted via either Etisalat or Du - no matter where the sim was from, he's roaming on one or both of those networks. It works by using three different masts/ground stations etc (your phone is usually connected to a minimum of 3), that way, using relatively simple geometry and the strength of each signal from each mast, (or looking at a screen) the path can be plotted.

If something this basic wasn't followed up then questions do indeed need to be asked.

It's also pretty damned accurate.
questions need to be asked and have been asked I am guessing, it's the answers that aren't forthcoming, they will never find out as nothing will be done at this end.
Old May 26th 2013, 7:28 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

In The Sun too.

Nothing of real interest, a bit sad really that she still sends texts and voicemails - I wonder whether the paper has hacked them?
Old May 26th 2013, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Conspiracy ? I think incompetence or indifference are more likely explanations. Do you think the UAE authorities would be concerned about an Able Seaman who got drunk and went AWOL ?
Old May 26th 2013, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If he accidentally got run over by someone with a lot of wasta. A cover up is possible.

If he accidentially came across something that someone with wasta didn't want known, a cover up is also possible.

One can't rule out cover ups in the UAE. It goes on, probably more than most people realise.

Originally Posted by scot47
Conspiracy ? I think incompetence or indifference are more likely explanations. Do you think the UAE authorities would be concerned about an Able Seaman who got drunk and went AWOL ?
Old May 29th 2013, 3:08 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timmy still missing - Dubai

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...25638837_n.jpg

Hi folks

Forgive me for popping into here but please see the attached.....it is a year and a few days since British sailor Timmy McColl disappeared after leaving a bar in Dubai.
Neil Cunningham is Timmy's uncle and the family are desperate for answers as to what happened to Timmy, so I have put this on here as a reminder so he won;t be forgotten

Thanks

Dread - x
Old May 29th 2013, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timmy still missing - Dubai

Dude, theres a thread like 1,000,000 pages long on Timmy. Have a looksee.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:48 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

In that case I shall ask the mod to tag this one onto that......apologies, Middle East is not somewhere I venture too much....well apart from some fab holidays in Oman !

Dread - x
Old May 30th 2013, 3:04 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...25638837_n.jpg

Hi folks

Forgive me for popping into here but please see the attached.....it is a year and a few days since British sailor Timmy McColl disappeared after leaving a bar in Dubai.
Neil Cunningham is Timmy's uncle and the family are desperate for answers as to what happened to Timmy, so I have put this on here as a reminder so he won;t be forgotten

Thanks

Dread - x
just an observation:

The picture that you posted is supposed to have all the major languages spoken in the bur dubai area saying the same thing i.e. the word 'missing'
the arabic word is Maqsood which is fine but the Urdu word is not written properly. The Urdu word for Missing is 'Lapata'. Someone has tried to write that word but has completely botched that job up, so far so that someone who speaks or reads Urdu could never have figured out what is written there. The letters are there but there is a specific way to tie the letters together in Urdu which was never attempted in this picture i.e. a completely botched job. Considering the seriousness of the issue, I would have thought someone would have looked into these small but very important details before having these printed and distributed.

Since a major population of the Bur Dubai area are Pakistanis, a large demographic was ignored by mistake.
Maybe a new campaign with Urdu only, Hindi Only, Malayalam Only posters with clear words printed and proof-read by competent people is the next step?
Just my two bits. I hope you find him or atleast come to some form of closure as I know from personal experience how horrendous it is to have lost someone like this. Btw I would be more than willing to proof read anything you want me to, free of charge ofcourse!
Old May 30th 2013, 4:27 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
just an observation:

The picture that you posted is supposed to have all the major languages spoken in the bur dubai area saying the same thing i.e. the word 'missing'
the arabic word is Maqsood which is fine but the Urdu word is not written properly. The Urdu word for Missing is 'Lapata'. Someone has tried to write that word but has completely botched that job up, so far so that someone who speaks or reads Urdu could never have figured out what is written there. The letters are there but there is a specific way to tie the letters together in Urdu which was never attempted in this picture i.e. a completely botched job. Considering the seriousness of the issue, I would have thought someone would have looked into these small but very important details before having these printed and distributed.

Since a major population of the Bur Dubai area are Pakistanis, a large demographic was ignored by mistake.
Maybe a new campaign with Urdu only, Hindi Only, Malayalam Only posters with clear words printed and proof-read by competent people is the next step?
Just my two bits. I hope you find him or atleast come to some form of closure as I know from personal experience how horrendous it is to have lost someone like this. Btw I would be more than willing to proof read anything you want me to, free of charge ofcourse!
And yet another almighty cock up.

Surely it would be obvious that if you want Urdu speakers to reply to a Missing poster, you'd expect them to be able to read it - and the numbers and details.

Shaking my head at the sheer ineptitude of everyone concerned in this farce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.