Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The thread about ridiculous Dubai ideas

The thread about ridiculous Dubai ideas

Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:29 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The thread about ridiculous Dubai ideas

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I The first that comes to mind is a high speed commuter rail between AD and Dubai. Why waste money on a pointless canal when you could instead build an efficient and highly beneficial commuter rail system?
Why would they want to make it easy and attractive to live in DXB and commute to AD (or vice-versa)? Each emirate has a vested interest in keeping people working within it living within it - apart from the labourers and other low-waged types, of course. Screw *them*.

Let's face it, if it was possible to commute by rail to - say - Fujairah or Al Ain in 45 minutes to an hour, there'd quite probably be an exodus from Dubai. Which is why the Dubai government is never going to pay for it (the Fujairah government obviously can't afford to).
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 8:22 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wordpress/environmentalist-stares-photo-young-self-approves-dubai-rainforest/

Nuff said
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 2:44 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant. When I was there eight years ago I would drive along the Al Khail and Emirates roads agog at all the amazing developments that were being heralded. Falcon City of Wonders, Dubai Land/World...whole new cities. I'm guessing not even half of these have actually been built. And they're off again. You can't fault their imagination!
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dubai-unveils-plans-for-worlds-largest-human-right,37979/
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Does it seem like Dubai is unique amongst cities and nations when it come to publicity seeking?

I can't think of another city or small nation that is constantly touting the next big project , even though a lot of such projects never pan out.
Own the press and you can build up the big news and hide the bad.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

i'm still waiting for the Mirdif crocodile park
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:03 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Brilliant. When I was there eight years ago I would drive along the Al Khail and Emirates roads agog at all the amazing developments that were being heralded. Falcon City of Wonders, Dubai Land/World...whole new cities. I'm guessing not even half of these have actually been built. And they're off again. You can't fault their imagination!
Falcon City (of Wonders) appears to be a housing development.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 9:11 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to know if the pop is close or is it still far away, so I can sell my property here before its close!
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:38 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
I just want to know if the pop is close or is it still far away, so I can sell my property here before its close!
Even if the pop is still some time away the market is already in the process of correcting itself after the ridiculous and baseless price increases we endured in 2013 and first half of 2014.

If I were you I would either sell or prepare to ride it out until the next cycle. The fortunate thing is that the cycle seems to be ridiculously frequent compared to more mature markets. Then again what do I know...
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I hope not!

Stable growth is preferable and these fantastical projects aren't helping by distorting the reality and the market. There does seem to be a pattern of lavish announcements but which haven't made it to the tender stage. Mall of Arabia? The mega mall/entertainment complex opposite MoE on Sheikh Zayed?

If I may change the topic slightly, what are the projects the UAE badly needs? The first that comes to mind is a high speed commuter rail between AD and Dubai. Why waste money on a pointless canal when you could instead build an efficient and highly beneficial commuter rail system?
But part (or most) of the attraction of Dubai for foreigners (at least those from Western countries) are those things that make Dubai "crazy".

The tallest tower, the largest mall, Burj Al Arab, Palm Jumeirah... those are the things that make Dubai famous, and ultimately the things that make someone from Norway or Portugal interested to visit it.

Without them Dubai would be another dull Middle Eastern city... dunno, Kuwait?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:56 pm

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Even if the pop is still some time away the market is already in the process of correcting itself after the ridiculous and baseless price increases we endured in 2013 and first half of 2014.

If I were you I would either sell or prepare to ride it out until the next cycle. The fortunate thing is that the cycle seems to be ridiculously frequent compared to more mature markets. Then again what do I know...
Well, selling it is sound advice I reckon. Coz I am not sure I will have the patience to ride it out. The problem in selling it is the loss of returns. I get back a ridiculous 12% per year of the actual cost and so far have gotten back 20% of my investment as it is in the past almost 2 years. Where else in the world does one get 12% back (tax free ofcourse, and overheads have been accounted for in this percentage)?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well, selling it is sound advice I reckon. Coz I am not sure I will have the patience to ride it out. The problem in selling it is the loss of returns. I get back a ridiculous 12% per year of the actual cost and so far have gotten back 20% of my investment as it is in the past almost 2 years. Where else in the world does one get 12% back (tax free ofcourse, and overheads have been accounted for in this percentage)?
if you are getting a 12% return hold it.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse
if you are getting a 12% return hold it.
Till when?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Till when?
A week Thursday
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Till when?
If you've averaged 12% since owning it, why not just keep it until the average gets close to a lower limit you set, like 10%?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.