British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The thread about ridiculous Dubai ideas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/thread-about-ridiculous-dubai-ideas-853609/)

Meow Mar 1st 2015 7:34 am

The thread about ridiculous Dubai ideas

Seems we are entering another silly season with press releases about developments that we can be fairly sure will never get built.

The "mini-Ibiza" off the coast of RAK. Okay, not Dubai but close enough and certainly Dubai in spirit.

"Plans have been unveiled for a four-million square foot party island in the UAE that developers hope will rival infamous party island Ibiza.

Set to be created off the coast of Ras Al Khaimah around an hour north of Dubai, the resort will feature two ‘mega clubs’, four beach clubs, five hotels and around 100 eateries. When operating at full capacity, it should play host to 20,000 party-goers..."

Al Marjan Islands RAK 'to be mini-Ibiza' - What's On

Meow Mar 1st 2015 7:37 am

Re: The thread about ridiculous Dubai ideas

Aladdin City

'Aladdin City' is next Dubai Creek project | GulfNews.com

http://i60.tinypic.com/1dys7p.jpg

shiva Mar 1st 2015 7:57 am

This is up there as the most insane ive ever heard

"Dubai to build Middle East’s first rainforest"

here

and here

A tropical rainforest is set to be created in Dubai as part of a luxury housing development.

The Dubai Rainforest, described as an educational and cultural dome, will be housed within Damac Properties’ Akoya Oxygen master community and is slated to be completed ahead of Expo 2020.

It is designed to recreate the natural environment of rainforests, which cover 6 per cent of the world’s surface, said the developer.

“Dubai is known around the world for attracting the biggest and best and the Dubai Rainforest joins that list of unique attractions which will support the growth of the city,” said Ziad El Chaar, managing director of Damac Properties.

Visitors will be taken on a journey through the jungle, starting on ground level, before climbing up into the canopy as they learn about the habitat’s flora and fauna.

Those with a thrill for heights will be able to fly through the treetops on a zip wire or just relax in the Rainforest spa, the latter of which will offer hydrothermal treatments among rock pools and steam baths.

Millhouse Mar 1st 2015 8:23 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11579751)

"Dubai to build Middle East’s first rainforest"

here

and here

A tropical rainforest is set to be created in Dubai as part of a luxury housing development.

The Dubai Rainforest, described as an educational and cultural dome, will be housed within Damac Properties’ Akoya Oxygen master community and is slated to be completed ahead of Expo 2020.

It is designed to recreate the natural environment of rainforests, which cover 6 per cent of the world’s surface, said the developer.

“Dubai is known around the world for attracting the biggest and best and the Dubai Rainforest joins that list of unique attractions which will support the growth of the city,” said Ziad El Chaar, managing director of Damac Properties.

Visitors will be taken on a journey through the jungle, starting on ground level, before climbing up into the canopy as they learn about the habitat’s flora and fauna.

Those with a thrill for heights will be able to fly through the treetops on a zip wire or just relax in the Rainforest spa, the latter of which will offer hydrothermal treatments among rock pools and steam baths.

The only rainforest on Earth that will actually emit carbon as opposed to sinking it.

shiva Mar 1st 2015 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11579766)
The only rainforest on Earth that will actually emit carbon as opposed to sinking it.

if it ever gets built

Millhouse Mar 1st 2015 8:43 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11579768)
if it ever gets built

Greenpeace need not worry.

norsk Mar 1st 2015 10:28 am

Did I read about the underwater hotel finally going ahead recently?
Are all these crazy construction plans another sign that something is about to pop?

DXBtoDOH Mar 1st 2015 10:54 am

I hope not!

Stable growth is preferable and these fantastical projects aren't helping by distorting the reality and the market. There does seem to be a pattern of lavish announcements but which haven't made it to the tender stage. Mall of Arabia? The mega mall/entertainment complex opposite MoE on Sheikh Zayed?

If I may change the topic slightly, what are the projects the UAE badly needs? The first that comes to mind is a high speed commuter rail between AD and Dubai. Why waste money on a pointless canal when you could instead build an efficient and highly beneficial commuter rail system?

I'd also vote for razing the Marina entirely and starting from scratch. I drove around the Marina yesterday for the first time in years and was gobsmacked by the traffic. Due to the tram all the left turns/U-turns along the road between JBR and the Marina have been removed, meaning you need to drive to the far south end of the Marina to cross over and of course it meant the traffic was insane, even on an early Saturday afternoon. They've also blocked the means to walk north-south on the internal roads on the east side of the marina because of the tram. Why anyone would want to live in the Marina now is beyond me.

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11579861)
Are all these crazy construction plans another sign that something is about to pop?

Meow Mar 1st 2015 11:04 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11579861)

Not heard about that but there were some articles about floating villas.

Dubai’s underwater villas go on sale for Dh5m | GulfNews.com

They call them underwater, but that's Gullible News for you. They are floating as opposed to submerged.

mikewot Mar 1st 2015 12:39 pm

Underwater Hotel Dubai

mikewot Mar 1st 2015 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11579875)
Mall of Arabia? The mega mall/entertainment complex opposite MoE on Sheikh Zayed?

Shaikh Mohammed launches Dubai’s air-conditioned city - Khaleej Times

mikewot Mar 1st 2015 12:50 pm

Dubai Eye: soon to be the world's biggest Ferris wheel!

Pulaski Mar 1st 2015 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11579751)

"Dubai to build Middle East’s first rainforest". ......

"First"? Are they actually planning a chain of them across the Middle East? Perhaps franchising the concept? :lol:

norsk Mar 1st 2015 5:56 pm

And of course all theme parks are being built everywhere once again...

Thrills & Spills: Theme Parks in the GCC - Bloomberg Businessweek

Boomhauer Mar 1st 2015 10:13 pm

Does it seem like Dubai is unique amongst cities and nations when it come to publicity seeking?

I can't think of another city or small nation that is constantly touting the next big project , even though a lot of such projects never pan out.