Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

For those about to rock!

For those about to rock!

Old Dec 17th 2014, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default For those about to rock!

So I might have a job in Abu Dhabi!
I have a band in the UK which is a great hobby. What are the chances out there of starting a band? There must be other midlife crisis rockers? In the UK there is a massive scene there are rehearsal spaces studios etc. so it is not to difficult but what about in Abu Dhabi? I know there are a couple of places, open mic and a few guys playing acoustic stuff but I am looking for a full amplified band?
Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice
Default Re: For those about to rock!

Loads of Philipino rock bands but also a few European bands or band members. A good place to start would be the Sheraton open mic night on first Saturday of the month. The guys running it also have a studio in Abu Dhabi so could either help or give you contacts.

There's another open mic at Stars n Bars pub every Sunday night but it's pretty crap and mainly aimed at karaoke. I played a few songs one night last month and I was the only one performing apart from the host!

DB
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DustyBits
Loads of Philipino rock bands but also a few European bands or band members. A good place to start would be the Sheraton open mic night on first Saturday of the month. The guys running it also have a studio in Abu Dhabi so could either help or give you contacts.

There's another open mic at Stars n Bars pub every Sunday night but it's pretty crap and mainly aimed at karaoke. I played a few songs one night last month and I was the only one performing apart from the host!

DB
Cheers DB
I will have a look at both these places. I would be hoping to get something going just as a hobby. I am a terrible singer so open mic is not my thing but they can be good to find other muso's !
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shy Lock
My brother flew for Air Emirates for about 10 years and he told me he played (not acoustic) in bars all the time- I'll ask him for some names
Thanks Shy lock - let me know what your bro says - Thanks!
Old Dec 18th 2014, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You could always drive up to Dubai for the evening. Plenty of low key venues like the Music Room available there.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
You could always drive up to Dubai for the evening. Plenty of low key venues like the Music Room available there.
Music Room is great.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 9:00 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I have a mate here in Dubai who plays the guitar with and without amps.
He has done quite a few amateur gigs in Pakistan when we worked together. I can put you through to him if you want to, once you're done settled in.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys! Its good to hear just makes me a little more convinced to make the move! Irishbeekeeper I don't think there is much point in establishing contact just yet! I still have a face to face interview in Jan! I expect then I will have a couple of months afterwards before I make the move! Thank you all As I say its just trying to build a picture and make sure that I ham making the right move!