Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

things you've bought but wouldn't back home

things you've bought but wouldn't back home

Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: things you've bought but wouldn't back home

Originally Posted by Scamp
Oh, and a Dunhill back that was 3,500 dizzy dinosaurs.
what's a Dunhill back?

I love the Dunhill store in Dubai Mall. Will only go near it during the sales though.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by saudiflares
what's a Dunhill back?

I love the Dunhill store in Dubai Mall. Will only go near it during the sales though.
Sorry, I meant bag.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 2:38 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

on cars... certainly would never have bought back in blighty a 4.4L, V8, 315hp, 0-100kph 7.3s, 7 seater

sunglasses, flipflops, staff
Old Mar 4th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
on cars... certainly would never have bought back in blighty a 4.4L, V8, 315hp, 0-100kph 7.3s, 7 seater

I wouldn't have bought it either, with that sorry wank performance from a V8
Old Mar 4th 2012, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Explorer. (I'm sure it's a V6, but that's what I've been told. It's definitely got the worst 4 litres of american shite under the bonnet though - speedo goes up to 120mph...120. From FOUR litres. 120, from 4. Mind blowingly shite).....that all being said, I love it. It's the American spec so has all the toys imaginable
120mph is 190kmh... that is quite fast for a bus.

Enjoy the summer - the AC will be shite, especially if it's a US one
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
120mph is 190kmh... that is quite fast for a bus.

Enjoy the summer - the AC will be shite, especially if it's a US one
Hmm, true, but still. I'd expect something a little more impressive. Oh well.

Yeah - you're not the first that's said that, but at the moment it's freezing in seconds and decent. When summer comes and IF it's toss as you suggest - can I do anything about it?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

When summer comes and IF it's toss as you suggest - can I do anything about it?
decent film if you haven't already. v-kool or something like that
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, true, but still. I'd expect something a little more impressive. Oh well.

Yeah - you're not the first that's said that, but at the moment it's freezing in seconds and decent. When summer comes and IF it's toss as you suggest - can I do anything about it?

Check the cabin/pollen filter. A dirty filter will seriously restrict the AC output.

They are usually found at the back of the glovebox or in the passenger side footwell.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Check the cabin/pollen filter. A dirty filter will seriously restrict the AC output.

They are usually found at the back of the glovebox or in the passenger side footwell.
excuse my ignorance here, but that will be a cartridge type thing to just yank out and see a filter?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

excuse my ignorance here, but that will be a cartridge type thing to just yank out and see a filter?

What year/model is it?

Here's a DIY for a 2011 Exploder...

Last edited by Oyibopeppeh; Mar 5th 2012 at 4:41 am.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by saudiflares
decent film if you haven't already. v-kool or something like that
It's not tinted so have got some quotes from 3M and they start about 7-800 going up to 3000+.....to be honest I don't know what's good, whether the basic is enough etc..... this is the list they've emailed me. Suggestions appreciated;

Thank you for the inquiry and for your interest in 3M window tinting systems.We carry a wide variety of 3M automotive films, the most popular being as follows:

Option 1: The top of the line is 'Crystalline' series, which is arguably the most high-tech, high performance film (97% IR rejection) available in the market, is applied on the front windshield (Full) and a darker version (Maximum 30% is allowed as per RTA directives) on the sides and back and costs Dhs.2,800.00 with a five-year 3M international warranty.

Option 2: Second in line is called 'Color Stable' or CS series, comes in three hues or VLT (Darkness), also carries a five-year warranty and costs Dhs.850.00for the sides and back. We can however offer a visor strip of about 9-10 inchesfor the front windshield, free of cost.

Option 3: FX is the entry level version for Dhs.750.00 with 35% heat rejection and a two-year warranty. The visor strip for the front windshield is optional.

Option 4: You may consider Crystalline on the front windshield and CS 35 on the sides and back for Dhs.1,850.00 which is a good value for your money as an alternate to option #1 with performance levels almost as efficient.

Option 5: New introductory Ceramic High Performance Film, with a chance to win 'Aquaventure' passes (Atlantis) at special offer of Dhs.1,250/- for sides and back with 5-year warranty. It comes in VLTs 30% and lighter and may be graded between CS and Crystalline in performance.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
What year/model is it?

Here's a DIY for a 2011 Exploder...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qlxI5N0ghnE
It's 2010 XLT

I'll have a look at that video later and then dig around in my car and see if it's right.

Thanks for the help mate.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:02 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

It's not tinted so have got some quotes from 3M and they start about 7-800 going up to 3000+.....to be honest I don't know what's good, whether the basic is enough etc..... this is the list they've emailed me. Suggestions appreciated;

Thank you for the inquiry and for your interest in 3M window tinting systems.We carry a wide variety of 3M automotive films, the most popular being as follows:

Option 1: The top of the line is 'Crystalline' series, which is arguably the most high-tech, high performance film (97% IR rejection) available in the market, is applied on the front windshield (Full) and a darker version (Maximum 30% is allowed as per RTA directives) on the sides and back and costs Dhs.2,800.00 with a five-year 3M international warranty.

Option 2: Second in line is called 'Color Stable' or CS series, comes in three hues or VLT (Darkness), also carries a five-year warranty and costs Dhs.850.00for the sides and back. We can however offer a visor strip of about 9-10 inchesfor the front windshield, free of cost.

Option 3: FX is the entry level version for Dhs.750.00 with 35% heat rejection and a two-year warranty. The visor strip for the front windshield is optional.

Option 4: You may consider Crystalline on the front windshield and CS 35 on the sides and back for Dhs.1,850.00 which is a good value for your money as an alternate to option #1 with performance levels almost as efficient.

Option 5: New introductory Ceramic High Performance Film, with a chance to win 'Aquaventure' passes (Atlantis) at special offer of Dhs.1,250/- for sides and back with 5-year warranty. It comes in VLTs 30% and lighter and may be graded between CS and Crystalline in performance.

One of my cars was tinted with seriously top-end film like this and the others are all done with cheap Satwa dark film for around 300-400 per car. Honestly, there really is no difference even in summer. Dont waste your money.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TheShed
One of my cars was tinted with seriously top-end film like this and the others are all done with cheap Satwa dark film for around 300-400 per car. Honestly, there really is no difference even in summer. Dont waste your money.
Thanks for that - can you recommend anywhere in Satwa etc to go?

I'm assuming that if in 12 months time it looks shit it can be peeled off and redone?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:29 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - can you recommend anywhere in Satwa etc to go?

I'm assuming that if in 12 months time it looks shit it can be peeled off and redone?
I redo mine about every 3 years once its faded. If you can find Satwa bus station, there are 4-5 shops directly opposite. I dont have a favourite; just negotiate with them and see who gives the best deal. Allow a good 60-90 minutes for them to complete it. Ask for the american branded stuff as it seems to look better and last longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.