British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   things you've bought but wouldn't back home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/things-youve-bought-but-wouldnt-back-home-738344/)

Spugsy Nov 9th 2011 8:51 am

things you've bought but wouldn't back home

Just bought some little dr. dre earphones as I use my iPod about 8 hours a day, thing is they cost me about £120 which in the UK I would have thought mental.

What have you bought over here that you wouldn't have back home?

Oyibopeppeh Nov 9th 2011 8:53 am

Re: things you've bought but wouldn't back home

A 3 litre turbocharged SUV which does 20mpg

kittycat1 Nov 9th 2011 8:56 am

a bikini!

norsk Nov 9th 2011 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9722374)
A 3 litre turbocharged SUV which does 20mpg

that's really good fuel economy actually. my 4.2 has averaged 14mpg over the last 45,000km :eek:

I don't know what else i have bought which I definitely wouldn't have in the UK. I do know that I don't spend anywhere near the same amount of time considering whether to buy something or not due to the price. There are things I would have spent weeks mulling over in the UK which I here just buy without even giving it a second thought..

norsk Nov 9th 2011 9:07 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9722381)
a bikini!

:rofl::rofl:

Spugsy Nov 9th 2011 9:09 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9722403)
that's really good fuel economy actually. my 4.2 has averaged 14mpg over the last 45,000km :eek:

I don't know what else i have bought which I definitely wouldn't have in the UK. I do know that I don't spend anywhere near the same amount of time considering whether to buy something or not due to the price. There are things I would have spent weeks mulling over in the UK which I here just buy without even giving it a second thought..

Yeah exactly the same, trainers, shirts, anything like that no problem, bought some football boots from Nike iD with 'Spugsy' on the back for £120. Not sure what Iw as thinking bearing in mind I'm not actually that good like....

Lorna at Vicenza Nov 9th 2011 9:09 am

A pushchair with a built in sun shade. I gather they come with rain covers in the UK.

Bahtatboy Nov 9th 2011 9:35 am

Numerous pints of Guinness that don't taste of Guinness (or anything else, really). And fur-lined handcuffs.

Spugsy Nov 9th 2011 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9722447)
Numerous pints of Guinness that don't taste of Guinness (or anything else, really). And fur-lined handcuffs.

oh and the best one yet, Stone Roses tickets - need to fly to Manchester and stay a few nights, going to cost me about £1k to see them.

Didn't even think about it. Can't wait.

co durham boy Nov 9th 2011 11:45 am

A Rolex Submariner..... Keep trying to tell myself i deserved it until i look at the receipt !

Tweedpipe Nov 9th 2011 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9722579)
A Rolex Submariner..... Keep trying to tell myself i deserved it until i look at the receipt !

I know the problem well......
Bought the Rolex SeaDweller (greater depth-rating) few years back. Brilliant timepiece, and always in demand on the s/h market, not that I'll ever sell it though!
Now start saving for an IWC! Having both, in my mind they're even more exclusive.

flares Nov 9th 2011 12:14 pm

4.7 litre 4 x 4

cat food for the strays

co durham boy Nov 9th 2011 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 9722600)
I know the problem well......
Bought the Rolex SeaDweller (greater depth-rating) few years back. Brilliant timepiece, and always in demand on the s/h market, not that I'll ever sell it though!
Now start saving for an IWC! Having both, in my mind they're even more exclusive.

I invested in an I.W.C Portofino as a treat from my last contract in Dubai , it literally is a thing of beauty .

Good watch , good shoes and a good handshake go a long way

Oyibopeppeh Nov 9th 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9722403)

£18 - £20 a week here to fill the tank encourages a heavy foot on the loud pedal....that would be something like £95 - £100 a week in the UK!

Spugsy Nov 9th 2011 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9722579)

I've never had a 'proper' watch ever, had swatches when I was younger and whilst I'm here I really shoudl get myself a nice watch. Only thing is I hate teh ones with massive faces and I've got quite think wrists.

Hmm.