Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Stupid British laws........ test your knowledge.....

Stupid British laws........ test your knowledge.....

Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:05 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid British laws........ test your knowledge.....

My wife was refused service in a Co-Op in Cambridge. Made her night. She's older than me...

Then I was refused too, because I was with her. First I'd known about this law.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:07 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Probably, but I was being sarcastic.

So what are adults with children supposed to do if they want to buy alcohol. Hire a babysitter so they can go to the shop? Daft.
I know you were.

To be honest, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I frequently ignored the rule when it was kids under 11. But when they started reaching their teenage years, I'd use my discretion (are they a family?/are they buying a weekly shop?/are they buying the type of alcohol kids are normally after?).

However, after they reached 15/16, there was no chance of me serving them. After all, by that age, it's perfectly acceptable for them to stay at home while the parents go shopping.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
What sort of adult would say 'yes' to that sort of request?? Not me.
Makes me think of the time when Mrs Millhouse agreed to get some fags (I've no idea why). The cheap sake kids short changed her by 2p. She came out of the shops - kids all excited... no fags.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:40 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I love this comment -

medway wrote:

@kh9871
Of course I'm prejudiced... just take one look at them. Tattoo's, died hair, obese, still breeding over a 16 year period. As you pointed out yourself, she can't even refer to her children by their own names, and feels the need to call the local paper when she can't get her booze. Complete pond life, which no doubt we are funding.

Couldn't of put it better myself.......
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonli...cohol_row.aspx

Did you know that it is illegal for a supermarket to sell alcohol to an adult if she is accompanied by under-age children??? Me neither......

If I'm reading this right, the check-out staff can be fined 80 pounds if they do so.....
Does this law apply to children in certain age group?
I have never come across this when ive bought alcohol down at Tescos!!
I would say that everytime I have bought it I have had my son with me sat in the trolley!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:48 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Couldn't list the millions of times I've been in a shop with Mum or Dad and they've bought wine etc.
Same here.

Then again my father is quite an intimidating man and I looked older than I do now when I was 12.

N.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
You're about my age right? 27?

The law only came in when we were 21 (2006-ish).
Not quite you old bastard. 24.

2006 I was leaving college though so was 17/18 and buying more booze than I think I give myself credit for.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Also, another interesting legal tidbit. Because supermarkets revoke their rights over the car parks (mainly so they're not liable for any damage caused to your car while it's parked there), it also means they legally have no right to remove the kids who are asking for alcohol from their doorsteps.

It's considered public land, and so not private property.
Awesome fact. It's also why you can tell them to **** off when you park in the Mum and kid spaces.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Same here.

Then again my father is quite an intimidating man and I looked older than I do now when I was 12.

N.
Snap. People often don't argue with a 6ft5 Scot wanting to buy two cases of wine....son or no son, let him through.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
So the adults just have to leave the kids in a hot car outside when they want to buy the evil booze then?
That is UK: more chance the kid would freeze to death, even in July.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That is UK: more chance the kid would freeze to death, even in July.
Urm...it was ASDA, she got the bus.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:36 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome fact. It's also why you can tell them to **** off when you park in the Mum and kid spaces.
My standard parking space, don't want to be struggling half a mile across a car park with a trolley full of beers.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to, uhum, shock the staff then pitch up at the till with a load of booze, some nappies & baby food. When it's totalled say you haven't got enough money and can they take the nappies and baby food back :-)
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:12 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
Does this law apply to children in certain age group?
I have never come across this when ive bought alcohol down at Tescos!!
I would say that everytime I have bought it I have had my son with me sat in the trolley!
Unless your 15 year old was in the trolley, most experienced checkout operators use common sense.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:16 pm
You read these things?

Snap. People often don't argue with a 6ft5 Scot wanting to buy two cases of wine....son or no son, let him through.
That was one of the reasons I supported the UK national ID card. If legally you have to have one from 12 – and make it a legal requirement to carry it – then it removes the intimidation factor.

You'd be surprised how many times I had to step in an ask kids for ID because it was obvious they'd intimidated the cashier. Probably three, four times a week, and that was during the week. On the Friday and Saturday evenings I covered, that easily went up to four to six a shift.

If you have to carry, you know you're going to get ID'd, then you'll remove the ability for idiots to chance it and intimidate people.

And if you're wondering if it's just bluster, it's not. I was assaulted five times in four years of working as a checkout runner; every single time it involved me knocking back pissed teenagers who thought they were about to get served because they'd intimidated the cashier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.