Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Stupid British laws........ test your knowledge.....

Stupid British laws........ test your knowledge.....

Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stupid British laws........ test your knowledge.....

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonli...cohol_row.aspx

Did you know that it is illegal for a supermarket to sell alcohol to an adult if she is accompanied by under-age children??? Me neither......

If I'm reading this right, the check-out staff can be fined 80 pounds if they do so.....
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:05 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid British laws........ test your knowledge.....

Correct. Check out staff fined a small amount and store fined a huge amount plus potentially lose their licence. Hence so many UK supermarkets asking for ID if you look under 25.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I had this row once. Had booze for a BBQ my Dad was having and was there with someone who worked for him and his 16yr old son.

I was paying (19ish I think) and was told that neither I or the 40-something year old bloke would be served because we were with his younger son.

Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Correct. Check out staff fined a small amount and store fined a huge amount plus potentially lose their licence. Hence so many UK supermarkets asking for ID if you look under 25.
Which is why it's stupid - a 39-year-old woman can't buy booze if she has her kids with her.....
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
Which is why it's stupid - a 39-year-old woman can't buy booze if she has her kids with her.....
Couldn't list the millions of times I've been in a shop with Mum or Dad and they've bought wine etc.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:10 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that it is illegal for a supermarket to sell alcohol to an adult if she is accompanied by under-age children??? Me neither......

If I'm reading this right, the check-out staff can be fined 80 pounds if they do so.....
Quite right, provided they've been properly trained. Its the best way to implement such laws. Same as smoking in pubs: who gets the biggest fine? The landlord. Does it make the law effective? It certainly does.

But no, I didn't know. Certainly my local up-market supermarket in Ilkley doesn't apply it.

Edit to say that I think the law's nuts, but that if its to be enforced, then that's the best way of doing it.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:34 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

The reason this was brought about was because some halfwits would be asked by kids to buy booze for them (used to be fags when I were a lad) and they'd go into the store together, DUH!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikewot
The reason this was brought about was because some halfwits would be asked by kids to buy booze for them (used to be fags when I were a lad) and they'd go into the store together, DUH!
What sort of adult would say 'yes' to that sort of request?? Not me.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:57 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. And the checkout staff face six months in prison if the court proves they knowingly sold alcohol to an adult with a minor in their presence.

It's aimed at stopping adults from buying alcohol for minors. (By the way; minors are classed as anyone that looks under 25 (by the sole discretion of the checkout staff) unless they can prove they are over 18.

It's also the law that if that checkout employee witnessed an adult taking cash from minors and they subsequently attempt to purchase alcohol, then they have to legally refuse or risk being fined and/or jailed.

When I worked at an Asda during uni, I was a checkout runner. I frequently had to step in an refuse sales where there was an adult and a child. Often explaining the law to them made little difference.

But you have to remember that selling can result in six month in jail and a criminal record. Listening to you bitch and moan for two minutes is nothing compared to that threat.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

So the adults just have to leave the kids in a hot car outside when they want to buy the evil booze then?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:00 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of adult would say 'yes' to that sort of request?? Not me.
You'd be surprised. My shifts were mainly evenings on Monday-Thursday, with a Sunday daytime shift. I didn't see too many people buying alcohol, but the stories I heard from my weekend colleagues were shocking.

They clocked at least ten people a night on a Friday and Saturday accepting money from kids to buy alcohol.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:01 am
You read these things?

Originally Posted by Meow
So the adults just have to leave the kids in a hot car outside when they want to buy the evil booze then?
Isn't illegal to leave kids unattended in cars in the UK too?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:02 am
You read these things?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Couldn't list the millions of times I've been in a shop with Mum or Dad and they've bought wine etc.
You're about my age right? 27?

The law only came in when we were 21 (2006-ish).
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:03 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Isn't illegal to leave kids unattended in cars in the UK too?
Probably, but I was being sarcastic.

So what are adults with children supposed to do if they want to buy alcohol. Hire a babysitter so they can go to the shop? Daft.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:04 am
You read these things?

Also, another interesting legal tidbit. Because supermarkets revoke their rights over the car parks (mainly so they're not liable for any damage caused to your car while it's parked there), it also means they legally have no right to remove the kids who are asking for alcohol from their doorsteps.

It's considered public land, and so not private property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.