Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Some life advice/thoughts please, if you can be so kind...

Some life advice/thoughts please, if you can be so kind...

Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:21 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some life advice/thoughts please, if you can be so kind...

Originally Posted by co durham boy
10-15 years ago living out of containers in Yemen

There's nothing wrong with taking a cushy number in the U.A.E in my opinion ...

You might actually enjoy it , it beats the 45 gallon drum
Yes well you are right, but the feeling of wanting to move again for me will happen very quickly in Abu Dhabi I think.

I did live in Yemen myself but in an apartment not portacabin, I don't really do FIFO or labour camp style work usually its a comfortable existence but I enjoy mixing into the local lifestyle.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:23 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
China, Thats where its at.

1. No matter what a short arse you are, you will be taller than anyone else.
2. Either if you are a neanderthal, you will be far more cosmopolitan and cultured than anyone else.
3. You can feed 14 people in a hotel for £50
4. 50p A packet of cigarettes
5. 70p a Litre of beer
6. The females love white skin and pot bellies
7. No need to pay a maid there are plenty of willing freebies available.
8. A Taxi is 50p
You know I hadn't really considered China much, or HK but its one I ought to look at.(aside from your reasons of course ) I was thinking Asia more like India, Vietnam, Malaysia etc
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

scarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Sorry I shouldn't have put in brunch scene comment, its detracting from my post. I meant it in a sort of, UAE is quite normalised or westernised I don't really consider it to be a foreign country experience. (against places like Egypt for example)
My sentiments exactly.

I've done Dubai and have the same views of UAE.

My wife and I have done Libya and currently Cairo. When we finish here, we are hoping either a return to Libya, if the situation allows, or failing that, Vietnam, but only if the company picks up more contracts there. For now, we have another 2 years in Cairo and will make the most of it.

Vietnam is at the top of the list for lots of my colleagues, but then again, Chile is not so far behind, which would also be interesting.

Normal is boring, variety is the spice of life and it needn't necessarily be a hardship posting.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Is you hail from the Emerald Isle there's a decent Na Fianna (sp) Irish Sports Club Gaelic team type thing in AD
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Knowing who you work for you can probably go anywhere right?

The job in AD is a good few years and a nice project. Why not?

Then go somewhere mental...or Aus etc?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:48 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by scarletfanagain

Normal is boring, variety is the spice of life and it needn't necessarily be a hardship posting.
Yes exactly what I was trying to say and what I am looking for.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:53 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Is you hail from the Emerald Isle there's a decent Na Fianna (sp) Irish Sports Club Gaelic team type thing in AD
Na Fianna is correct To be honest I try to avoid joining up Irish clubs as I find it makes me lazy in going out and integrating into the country itself.

Originally Posted by Scamp
Knowing who you work for you can probably go anywhere right?

The job in AD is a good few years and a nice project. Why not?

Then go somewhere mental...or Aus etc?
I have spent a couple of years in Australia almost 15 years ago now but could do a return trip at some point. With my company I can try to move anywhere but internally we are quite divided with regions and it takes a bit of effort to get out of someone's perceived team to another region. I am going to have to mull it over a bit.