So... North Korea then

Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:11 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default So... North Korea then

Or rather, the new(ish) North Korean restaurant in Deira.

The food is actually pretty good. Quite different in taste to South Korean, even though they are the same dishes.

Very cute waiting staff, both in terms of their very welcoming manner and their appearance. Wife and waitress were joking around together like old friends, albeit the waitress was being very respectful (I was able to make out the odd word).

The art on the wall was amazing. The huge TV broadcasting pictures of fish (?!) just a bit odd.

Not sure how I feel about effectively putting hard currency into Kim's hands, mind you.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:38 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So... North Korea then

Originally Posted by typical
...and its name, address and pricing stratagy are?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
http://www.npr.org/2010/12/31/132491...of-north-korea

Let google be your friend :-)
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:06 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

The food is actually pretty good. Quite different in taste to South Korean, even though they are the same dishes.

Very cute waiting staff, both in terms of their very welcoming manner and their appearance. Wife and waitress were joking around together like old friends, albeit the waitress was being very respectful (I was able to make out the odd word).

The art on the wall was amazing. The huge TV broadcasting pictures of fish (?!) just a bit odd.

Not sure how I feel about effectively putting hard currency into Kim's hands, mind you.
Am surprised to hear about this given that half of North Korea is starving and there are reports of cannibalism in some areas...
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:43 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Okryugwan, Business Village (next to the Clock Tower Roundabout).

It's more expensive than the South Korean restaurant above Safestway, but hard to compare. We spent 130 for lunch.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:44 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Am surprised to hear about this given that half of North Korea is starving and there are reports of cannibalism in some areas...
These restaurants are an essential source of hard currency for the regime, by all accounts. But yes, the news out of there doesn't sound good.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:19 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Okryugwan, Business Village (next to the Clock Tower Roundabout).It's more expensive than the South Korean restaurant above Safestway, but hard to compare. We spent 130 for lunch.
Thanks but I tend to avoid Deira at most times of the day simply because of car parking issues. So is the one above Safestway any good? That's on SZR I believe.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:03 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Thanks but I tend to avoid Deira at most times of the day simply because of car parking issues. So is the one above Safestway any good? That's on SZR I believe.
There was heaps of parking outside on Friday lunchtime.

Anyway, as South Korean restaurants go I think it's a toss-up between the one at Safestway and the two at Satwa (I prefer the jjige at Safestway). Safestway is of course by far the easiest to park at.

The one at the Ascot Hotel was pretty nice but pricier. Not tried the one at the Ramada.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:53 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

These restaurants are an essential source of hard currency for the regime, by all accounts. But yes, the news out of there doesn't sound good.
Fantastic, so if I eat there some of my cash will be buying shells to rain down on the south, contribute to the Kim Jong-il fresh lobster fund and likely help them dig better bunkers to protect their nuclear weapons!

I think I'll stick to South Korean food

N.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Be astounded by these pics of North Korea and its happy people

http://www.mrlevek.com/northkorea.htm
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:49 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Fantastic, so if I eat there some of my cash will be buying shells to rain down on the south, contribute to the Kim Jong-il fresh lobster fund and likely help them dig better bunkers to protect their nuclear weapons!
It is not THAT expensive!

Weigh that against the fact it allows North Koreans to get out of their country and see a very different side of things. Can't imagine what landing in a paean to capitalism like Dubai must be like...
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

I went to Pyongyang last year.

I struggled with the food but that was just because of the type of food and not the quality (im fussy)

I will go into this place as im curious though.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:32 pm

It is not THAT expensive!

Weigh that against the fact it allows North Koreans to get out of their country and see a very different side of things. Can't imagine what landing in a paean to capitalism like Dubai must be like...
I wouldn't want a single fil of mine finding it's way back to that looney bin. The sooner China ends support for Kim and let's the South take it back the better. Or even better China should invade the North and finish the madness...