British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   So... North Korea then (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/so-north-korea-then-699631/)

typical Jan 7th 2011 5:11 pm

So... North Korea then

Or rather, the new(ish) North Korean restaurant in Deira.

The food is actually pretty good. Quite different in taste to South Korean, even though they are the same dishes.

Very cute waiting staff, both in terms of their very welcoming manner and their appearance. Wife and waitress were joking around together like old friends, albeit the waitress was being very respectful (I was able to make out the odd word).

The art on the wall was amazing. The huge TV broadcasting pictures of fish (?!) just a bit odd.

Not sure how I feel about effectively putting hard currency into Kim's hands, mind you.

lionheart Jan 8th 2011 4:38 am

Re: So... North Korea then

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9084543)

...and its name, address and pricing stratagy are?

Patsy Stoned Jan 8th 2011 5:09 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9085784)

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/31/132491...of-north-korea

Let google be your friend :-)

Norm_uk Jan 8th 2011 6:06 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9084543)

The food is actually pretty good. Quite different in taste to South Korean, even though they are the same dishes.

Very cute waiting staff, both in terms of their very welcoming manner and their appearance. Wife and waitress were joking around together like old friends, albeit the waitress was being very respectful (I was able to make out the odd word).

The art on the wall was amazing. The huge TV broadcasting pictures of fish (?!) just a bit odd.

Not sure how I feel about effectively putting hard currency into Kim's hands, mind you.

Am surprised to hear about this given that half of North Korea is starving and there are reports of cannibalism in some areas...

typical Jan 8th 2011 6:43 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9085784)

Okryugwan, Business Village (next to the Clock Tower Roundabout).

It's more expensive than the South Korean restaurant above Safestway, but hard to compare. We spent 130 for lunch.

typical Jan 8th 2011 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9085863)
Am surprised to hear about this given that half of North Korea is starving and there are reports of cannibalism in some areas...

These restaurants are an essential source of hard currency for the regime, by all accounts. But yes, the news out of there doesn't sound good.

lionheart Jan 8th 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9085899)
Okryugwan, Business Village (next to the Clock Tower Roundabout).It's more expensive than the South Korean restaurant above Safestway, but hard to compare. We spent 130 for lunch.

Thanks but I tend to avoid Deira at most times of the day simply because of car parking issues. So is the one above Safestway any good? That's on SZR I believe.

typical Jan 8th 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9086099)
Thanks but I tend to avoid Deira at most times of the day simply because of car parking issues. So is the one above Safestway any good? That's on SZR I believe.

There was heaps of parking outside on Friday lunchtime.

Anyway, as South Korean restaurants go I think it's a toss-up between the one at Safestway and the two at Satwa (I prefer the jjige at Safestway). Safestway is of course by far the easiest to park at.

The one at the Ascot Hotel was pretty nice but pricier. Not tried the one at the Ramada.

Norm_uk Jan 9th 2011 11:53 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9085900)
These restaurants are an essential source of hard currency for the regime, by all accounts. But yes, the news out of there doesn't sound good.

Fantastic, so if I eat there some of my cash will be buying shells to rain down on the south, contribute to the Kim Jong-il fresh lobster fund and likely help them dig better bunkers to protect their nuclear weapons!

I think I'll stick to South Korean food :sneaky:

N.

Ray Jan 9th 2011 1:07 pm

Be astounded by these pics of North Korea and its happy people

http://www.mrlevek.com/northkorea.htm

typical Jan 9th 2011 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9088351)
Fantastic, so if I eat there some of my cash will be buying shells to rain down on the south, contribute to the Kim Jong-il fresh lobster fund and likely help them dig better bunkers to protect their nuclear weapons!

It is not THAT expensive!

Weigh that against the fact it allows North Koreans to get out of their country and see a very different side of things. Can't imagine what landing in a paean to capitalism like Dubai must be like...

StublueKPL Jan 10th 2011 3:55 pm

I went to Pyongyang last year.

I struggled with the food but that was just because of the type of food and not the quality (im fussy)

I will go into this place as im curious though.

Norm_uk Jan 10th 2011 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9088502)
It is not THAT expensive!

Weigh that against the fact it allows North Koreans to get out of their country and see a very different side of things. Can't imagine what landing in a paean to capitalism like Dubai must be like...

I wouldn't want a single fil of mine finding it's way back to that looney bin. The sooner China ends support for Kim and let's the South take it back the better. Or even better China should invade the North and finish the madness...