British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   this is so horrible (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/so-horrible-702517/)

Millhouse Jan 27th 2011 3:06 pm

Re: this is so horrible

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9132329)
Agreed. Apart from colonisation, I don't know what the answer is.

I agree with this too... but only because of the natural resources (copper). Colonize for a reason or leave them to it.

JulesinDXB Jan 27th 2011 3:35 pm

I don't know how anyone can say 'leave them to it', when innocent people are being murdered and in such a horrific manner.

Alexa Jan 27th 2011 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9132978)
spot on. our self righteous meddling just makes it worse.

well, of course selfrighteousness comes into it, maybe even outweighs all other reasons, but I still would like to believe there is, as we all know NOW, some misguided good intention too. ;)
Besides natural resources.

I have come to realize that every people need their own way. Ours fits us, theirs fits them. We might not agree or even understand what they do...but it might just be right for them. All people are not equal.
As some of my Muslim friends say...all 5 fingers are on one hand, but all are different.

Alexa Jan 27th 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by JulesinDXB (Post 9133059)
I don't know how anyone can say 'leave them to it', when innocent people are being murdered and in such a horrific manner.

I am sorry, I know it sounds horrid. But, what gives us the right to interfere with what THEY in THEIR country do? For us it is horrible and wrong, obviously for them it is not. From our point of view it is wrong, from theirs it is right.
And interference there was , is...and? What has it done? Nothing good so far.IMHO.

When I look around and listen ...most of what I hear is dislike from all sides. Maybe we must accept that our norms work for us and not for them...even if that includes our way of looking at humanity...for them it is different.
I think it is about time we accept that.
And I do not feel we are arrogant or meddling to try to bring our way of thinking about humanity in particular to them, but we have , at some point to admit defeat. For me this point is now. If they want to kill each other in those ways, we ought to leave them to it.

And you know what is the worst...all this has brought it to THEM and US...sad, sad state.

Hello.Kitty Jan 27th 2011 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9132600)
Yeah but christians don't actually live by it and go around killing each other for honour killings or jihad or owt.

we were so totally in there with the burning at the stake and stuff not even 500 years ago. You only need to look at some of the more fundamental Christian sects/ churches in the US to have a sneak peek at what they'd love to be able to get away with.

Quite how or why we Europeans have moved so far away from our religion (Christian - Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox as well as all the rest!) as to have made it so pick'n'mix anodyne, I don't know. Had we not, we'd still be fasting during Lent, doing our pilgrimages and following the food guidelines as well as all the rest... which isn't really at all far away from current Muslims.

Not saying I condone any of it - I have a firm stance on religion being one of the first forms of social control - but it's an interesting study.

I also think that it's so ingrained that there's nothing anyone can do by "regime change"... you'd literally need to systematically wipe all the extremists from the face of the earth, and that would neither be ethical nor democratic, would it?

JulesinDXB Jan 27th 2011 4:11 pm

At the abse of all religions they teach the same thing with regards to morals, social control etc etc it's the nuts jobs who then take it that step further. Wiping them all out wouldn't be such a bad idea in my book.

Hello.Kitty Jan 27th 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by JulesinDXB (Post 9133125)
At the abse of all religions they teach the same thing with regards to morals, social control etc etc it's the nuts jobs who then take it that step further. Wiping them all out wouldn't be such a bad idea in my book.

that's almost certainly true, but we would hardly be promoting freedom of speech, democracy and human rights if we were to effectively swoop in and commit religious genocide on a population who may not actually want our "reform"