Silly season stories

Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:50 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly season stories

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Eh, lounge, loo etc.... what the *****!

Who cares what people call a room?

Personally I would call it a lounge, and have a separate living room.... and a snug.
its the Middle East. A pissing contest for wanabee snobs.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
its the Middle East. A pissing contest for wanabee snobs.
that is more about toilets
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supreme Driving on SZR

Originally Posted by bunjiman
I don't know if you guys have seen this new 'trend' or not, but it seems to suit the thread topic so here goes:

1) Roughly 3 weeks ago I was tailed on the SZR coming back from AD to DB and in my rear view mirror I saw someone driving with metallic sun blinds erected in their front windscreen. No kidding.

2) I re-told the story to a colleague the following day who immediately called me a ****ing lier.

3) Last week he called me over, apologised and then proceeded to show me this picture.

Has anyone else seen this new 'trend'?

Is it new?

I was disturbed, this is after having declared that nothing would surprise me anymore...

Comments & explanations please.
You should spend more time in the other Emirates. Things like this are the norm in places such as RAK and Fujariah. What shocks you in Dubai / Abu Dhabi doesn't even register when out in the sticks.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

bunjiman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Do you drive a yellow Porsche?
Unfortunately I don't drive a Porsche.

The yellow car in the picture is owned by a friend at work.

It's not from Germany...
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

You should spend more time in the other Emirates. Things like this are the norm in places such as RAK and Fujariah. What shocks you in Dubai / Abu Dhabi doesn't even register when out in the sticks.
I take it you have seen this before then?

Honestly, I missed a heart beat when I first saw it in the rear view mirror cruising at 139.5 on the SZR.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:21 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree - have seen this loads out in the UAE hinterlands. Also - first time I saw it I was WTF! Quite disturbing. No idea how much they can see out of it...
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Have to agree - have seen this loads out in the UAE hinterlands. Also - first time I saw it I was WTF! Quite disturbing. No idea how much they can see out of it...
err... Millhouse did a field test on this. It's really quite OK...
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I'd wondered myself quite how they see through these blinds to 'navigate the roads':

1) Cameras
2) Peer between the gaps
3) Use 'The Force'

?

I'm pretty sure the opacity of the blinds would be sufficient to prevent one from being able to see anything directly obscured by the blinds. That looks like most of the front windscreen to me.

Genius.

Is it cool?

Am I missing something?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

err... Millhouse did a field test on this. It's really quite OK...
It's the danger to others on the road that pi55es me off the most...

Guessed which make & model the car is yet?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Slightly off topic for the thread but car related.

What does, 'GREAT WALL' refer to?

Painted on the back of lot's of knackered Toyota pickup trucks I've seen...
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's the danger to others on the road that pi55es me off the most...

Guessed which make & model the car is yet?
I did own one of these blinds - the idea is that you pull it across when you have stopped (for that purpose they are utterly shite, and you are better off with the foil fold up things)... but honestly, it is no darker than wearing sun glasses. At night it's stupid, but during the day it really is no big deal. All that said, I never drove with it across.

Is the car some American trash? A corvette or a mustang?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Slightly off topic for the thread but car related.

What does, 'GREAT WALL' refer to?

Painted on the back of lot's of knackered Toyota pickup trucks I've seen...
it's a make of car - made in india (I think). They seem to copy the Hilux / isuzu design of truck.

edit - seems it's made in china.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

I did own one of these blinds - the idea is that you pull it across when you have stopped (for that purpose they are utterly shite, and you are better off with the foil fold up things)... but honestly, it is no darker than wearing sun glasses. At night it's stupid, but during the day it really is no big deal. All that said, I never drove with it across.

Is the car some American trash? A corvette or a mustang?
When you say stopped do you mean parked?

Would you drive with one of these erected in your front windscreen?

Maybe I'm overreacting... Is it 'cool' to do this?

American trash indeed. None of those though...

I've still yet to work out the obsession with cr4p yank cars out here.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

it's a make of car - made in india (I think). They seem to copy the Hilux / isuzu design of truck.

edit - seems it's made in china.
Ahhh interesting.

Yes it looks very much like the old Toyota pickups. Thanks, that explains it.

Does the name refer to er the GREAT WALL (OF CHINA)? Weird...

Edit - Maybe they were Isuzus
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When you say stopped do you mean parked?

Would you drive with one of these erected in your front windscreen?

Maybe I'm overreacting... Is it 'cool' to do this?

American trash indeed. None of those though...

I've still yet to work out the obsession with cr4p yank cars out here.
Yes, it's for when you have parked up - for the heat.

Would I drive, no I wouldn't. If it was bright, and I didn't have my sunnies and I couldn't see... maybe. They honestly look a lot worse than they are. But they are shite and don't do much for the heat, don't get me wrong. No, they don't look cool. But then, nor to Ray Band Aviators but people wear 'em.

edit - I don't own it anymore. It's heat performance was so piss poor, I bought some foil cardboard.

It's a Camero.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 14th 2012 at 3:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.