British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Silly season stories (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/silly-season-stories-767384/)

Meow Aug 6th 2012 11:21 am

Silly season stories

I ama sure we used to see loads more crazy stories of people being foolishly duped in the local press, but 7 days has this today.

Three held for sorcery con

A GANG who allegedly claimed they could bring $18 million down from the sky using magic have been arrested by Dubai Police.

The two African men and an Asian man have been held on charges of fraud and sorcery.

Head of CID, Brigadier Khalil Ibraheem Al Mansouri, said the force received a tip off about the gang's activities.

The source said the men were asking people to pay $10,000 to perform the stunt.

Police sent an undercover policeman to the gang's home in the Muraqabbat area of Dubai.

Al Mansouri said: "We raided the place and found strange stuff like a three chicken feathers, scissors, stones, a small bottle containing a yellow substance and paper with writing on it in blood."

The case had been referred to Dubai Public Prosecution to finish the investigation.

http://www.7daysindubai.com/held-sor...ail/story.html

commander Aug 6th 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Silly season stories

Hope BC wasn't involved in her new role as Dubai's supersluth..:D

Blue Cat Aug 6th 2012 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10212870)

call me Nancy Drew :p

Kix Aug 6th 2012 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10212870)

Getting a bit boring now commander.... :thumbdown:

commander Aug 6th 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10212902)
Getting a bit boring now commander.... :thumbdown:

Christ, lighten up. I'm winding up BC, nothing for you to get your wee knickers in a twist about. BC knows she is a busybody, its what she does!

Not as bad a busybee mind..

the_red_sheep Aug 6th 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10212670)
Al Mansouri said: "We raided the place and found strange stuff like a three chicken feathers, scissors, stones, a small bottle containing a yellow substance and paper with writing on it in blood."

Is it just me or is none of the stuff that they found (with the exception of the note written in blood) very strange? I hope the police never raid my apartment or the may find strange stuff like salt, forks, buttons and a jar containing a yellow substance (mustard) :confused:

Desert Dubliner Aug 6th 2012 6:30 pm

I ama sure we used to see loads more crazy stories of people being foolishly duped in the local press, but 7 days has this today.

Three held for sorcery con

A GANG who allegedly claimed they could bring $18 million down from the sky using magic have been arrested by Dubai Police.

The two African men and an Asian man have been held on charges of fraud and sorcery.

Head of CID, Brigadier Khalil Ibraheem Al Mansouri, said the force received a tip off about the gang's activities.

The source said the men were asking people to pay $10,000 to perform the stunt.

Police sent an undercover policeman to the gang's home in the Muraqabbat area of Dubai.

The case had been referred to Dubai Public Prosecution to finish the investigation.

Send them over here. We haven't had chop-chop on main square in Balad for quite a while.

soukie Aug 6th 2012 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10213031)
Christ, lighten up. I'm winding up BC, nothing for you to get your wee knickers in a twist about. BC knows she is a busybody, its what she does!

Not as bad a busybee mind..

You love her really ;)

Millhouse Aug 6th 2012 7:39 pm

I was woken at 5.30am this morning by a Cockerel - He was in my Garden giving it some. We shared some Granolia for breakfast.

Then the neighbours said they had found a Chicken in their garden so the pair were rounded up and taken to (I hope) a rescue centre in Sharjah.

True story for silly season.

Desert Dubliner Aug 6th 2012 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10213369)
I was woken at 5.30am this morning by a Cockerel - He was in my Garden giving it some. We shared some Granolia for breakfast.

Then the neighbours said they had found a Chicken in their garden so the pair were rounded up and taken to (I hope) a rescue centre in Sharjah.

True story for silly season.

In Saudi we have a response to this silly situation too: Al Baik.

kittycat1 Aug 7th 2012 5:06 am

millhouse, if you go on to expatflange there is a notorius chicken and rooster combo terrorizing the women of Dubai- possibly the same two... like Bonnie and Clyde... nothing a hotpot couldnt solve

Millhouse Aug 7th 2012 5:10 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10214058)
millhouse, if you go on to expatflange there is a notorius chicken and rooster combo terrorizing the women of Dubai- possibly the same two... like Bonnie and Clyde... nothing a hotpot couldnt solve

Not anymore there isn't. My Chinese neighbours dealt with it all. I'm sure the feet soup was delicious.

Attachment 108068

seven seas Aug 7th 2012 5:44 am

[I]Three held for sorcery con

Why why why would you be asking for a paltry 10,000 if you can make it rain 18 million?

If you need the ten thousand, just make it rain, pick up ten thousand off the floor, and leave the rest for whoever comes along.

Millhouse Aug 8th 2012 9:10 am

Here is a great silly season story:

'Outraged Lebanese demand end to anal exams on gay men'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19166156

Meow Aug 8th 2012 9:15 am

:blink:

"There is no law that criminalises homosexuality in Lebanon. But people can be charged under Article 534 of the Lebanese Penal Code, which penalises "sexual intercourse contrary to nature" - specifically sexual intercourse that includes anal penetration - with a maximum of one year in prison."

Only weirdos are obsessed by what consenting adults get up to in private. All the problems in the world and far too many people only focus on other people's sex lives.