Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Short time (relatively) in the Gulf - HMRC

Short time (relatively) in the Gulf - HMRC

Old Aug 22nd 2021, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

smallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to all
Default Short time (relatively) in the Gulf - HMRC

Hi there,

It's been a while since I worked in the region.
I'm considering a short stint back in the gulf (say 2 years), encompassing at least one full UK tax year away.
With wife, kids and housing in the UK, would that be enough to pass the non-resident test?
I'd hope to visit the UK approx 4 weeks per year.

with regards
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short time (relatively) in the Gulf - HMRC

Originally Posted by smallpiff
Hi there,

It's been a while since I worked in the region.
I'm considering a short stint back in the gulf (say 2 years), encompassing at least one full UK tax year away.
With wife, kids and housing in the UK, would that be enough to pass the non-resident test?
I'd hope to visit the UK approx 4 weeks per year.

with regards
Probably

Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

smallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to allsmallpiff is a name known to all

As I thought, noted the caveat - no certainties.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smallpiff
As I thought, noted the caveat - no certainties.
I'm actually very confident for you, but someone will always pop up and talk about split-years, days and ties. The rules are really clear if you go through them on the HMRC website.

The reality though, is that international moving is really expensive and set-up costs and demobilisation costs are high. I personally wouldn't only come for an 18-24 month gig unless it was really worth it and someone was paying all these costs. Remember to factor in out-of-work time in the UK on your return etc.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 23rd 2021 at 9:46 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks and agreed that setup can be a bind. Ways to mitigate that though, considering single status. Work beyond the contract would hopefully be optional.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 2:14 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this flowchart. You want to be able to tick the third box down "Leave UK to work full-time overseas, present in UK < 91 days and < 31 days spent working in UK", then you can ignore the rest. It will also allow you to split the year you leave the UK and also the year that you return (subject to conditions).

Old Sep 3rd 2021, 11:03 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Hi smallpiff,

There are eight different cases for split year treatment of which you must meet the criteria of at least one of them in order to be eligible for split year treatment.

Split year treatment also has residence conditions for the full tax year after your departure from the UK and for the full tax year after your return to the UK. If you do not satisfy these residence conditions split year treatment previously granted will be removed.

It may appear simple on the surface but the area of residence is complex, if you have any concerns you should seek professional advice.