Serial Expats

Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Serial Expats

I must admit I found moving away really hard but so glad I did, now thinking forwards and thinking where and what next, so how many of you are serial expats- where have you lived and how many times have you upped sticks and moved countries and does it get any easier?

And how many of you plan on going back to the UK one day or do you think you'll never go back? If you're never going back how long where you away for when you decided that?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serial Expats

I would love to live in the Marquesas for a while. I read about these Polynesian islands in a National Geogrpahic magazine which portrayed it as idilic away from the hustle and bustle of the world place. The Azores is another place I would love to go to.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I want to live in Manchester.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:25 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in France and went on to spend a few years in Dartford, so culture shocks and getting used to strange local quirks are nothing really new!

Anyhow, I loved being in France and think of it as home, but there's something about the UK that's more home. For me, feeling "at home" - or rather feeling as if I have roots and "fit in" is very important (echo from being uprooted as a child - nb: kids are adaptable, but don't think it won't affect them!), so I kind of have to go back to the UK.

Moving on from here, we're off back "home". We've talked about going to Hong Kong, Singapore or Oz, but tbh, I'm done with the expat thing for the moment. We'll almost certainly live in different countries later on in our lives, but realistically, it'll probably be when the kids are grown and flown...

Won't stop me travelling though... there are so many places I'd like to go to, the Facebook app wouldn't let me list them all!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:43 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

After leaving uni I spent a couple of years in London before my feet started itching - since then I've lived (either own flat or living for significant time in a hotel and cooking for myself) in Finland, France, Germany, Singapore, South Korea, UAE, Saudi Arabia and now Vietnam.

My wife is now back in the UK, studying. If she stays on for another year, I'll have some hard decisions to make.

I always said I would go wherever I can find a job that interests me. Unfortunately the UK is probably not it right now. Nevertheless, some things do become more important.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I must admit I found moving away really hard but so glad I did, now thinking forwards and thinking where and what next, so how many of you are serial expats- where have you lived and how many times have you upped sticks and moved countries and does it get any easier?

And how many of you plan on going back to the UK one day or do you think you'll never go back? If you're never going back how long where you away for when you decided that?
Abu Dhabi , Dubai , Oman , Yemen , KSA , Hong Kong , Phillippines , Thailand , Indonesia , China .

Yes i will return to the UK , that is the whole reason for me being here .I do this for money and money only , most of the places in the Gulf are shit end of story so the money makes it a bit sweeter.
You get tired after a lot of years of Ex-Pat living and working , tired of the bullshit and the pretence and the daily crap you put up with just to get through the basics of your day.You must have something out of it when you leave or you've just wasted your time.

I hear people all the time saying they're never going back and they're staying overseas and the UK's shit. Only a very small percentage of Ex-pats will have the skills or experience to pull that off. Most will be back in the UK sooner than later. Most of the Gulfs Ex-pats are in Dubai and for most of them Dubai's there first foray into the Ex-pat lifestyle and for most it will be their last as well as Dubai's the best and easiest tour on the bock without a doubt , it's all downhill after that.

I always work on the fact that i'm on a months notice and a months notice is all i'll get when it goes tits up and i assure you that it's when not if.

Enjoy it while you can people as it's a dying trade , Anyone for Brunch ?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

KSA, Japan, [UK], Egypt, Japan, [UK], Abu Dhabi. Next is China, or so I intend.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:25 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You get tired after a lot of years of Ex-Pat living and working , tired of the bullshit and the pretence and the daily crap you put up with just to get through the basics of your day.You must have something out of it when you leave or you've just wasted your time.
I think maybe that's quite particular for this region - the only doing it for the money part and subsequently finding it quite shallow.

My parents have been in France for 21 years now, but they - like most of their peers - didn't go over for the money. They had a Dream (got to try not to chuckle)... anyhow, they're - like most of their peers - are now thinking of moving back to the UK... not because they no longer like France, but because they're finding themselves increasingly isolated from family and the facilities for Olds aren't as good/ complete/ varied.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I think maybe that's quite particular for this region - the only doing it for the money part and subsequently finding it quite shallow.

My parents have been in France for 21 years now, but they - like most of their peers - didn't go over for the money. They had a Dream (got to try not to chuckle)... anyhow, they're - like most of their peers - are now thinking of moving back to the UK... not because they no longer like France, but because they're finding themselves increasingly isolated from family and the facilities for Olds aren't as good/ complete/ varied.
Yes , you're correct , it's particular for this region . You would never ever come to this part of the world for other than money , behind the facade and tall buildings lies aggression , oppression , hypocrisy and ignorance , who would want a lifestyle choice based on that ?

The Gulf gives you the ability to earn the hardware to live your dream later on in life .What i find i miss the most is people and friends and the ability just to drop in on people and to feel relaxed .
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Its not the where to go to as such its more the actual moving somewhere you dont know anyone and starting again- how many times can you do that as I've found it exhasting-Im glad I've done it but I don't know if I can do it again especially if its a country where English isn't the first language.

I'd be looking at Nu Yoik, Hong Kong or Australia from here. Or back to Blighty.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Its not the where to go to as such its more the actual moving somewhere you dont know anyone and starting again- how many times can you do that as I've found it exhasting-Im glad I've done it but I don't know if I can do it again especially if its a country where English isn't the first language.

I'd be looking at Nu Yoik, Hong Kong or Australia from here. Or back to Blighty.
It sounds like you've answered your own question . The trick is to move on or get out on your own terms or when you've still got your sanity intact..!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:13 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Tried all bran, shreddies, weatabix and sugar puffs (too sweet), but still like my oats (porridge).

England, Papua New Guinea, Australia and the UAE for me. Next is Australia again !

Last edited by MacScot; Mar 8th 2011 at 7:48 am.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:13 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

For me, it's been Kenya(2yrs), KSA(8yrs) and UAE(nearly 5yrs). We may move to Europe next summer or, if my contract is renewed, stay until 2015 at which time our daughter will be 11yrs old and wanting to start secondary school anywhere but here.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
For me, it's been Kenya(2yrs), KSA(8yrs) and UAE(nearly 5yrs). We may move to Europe next summer or, if my contract is renewed, stay until 2015 at which time our daughter will be 11yrs old and wanting to start secondary school anywhere but here.
Why not here?

Anyway I have only ever lived here as an expat where will we go next, probably Thailand for retirement
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:05 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad was in the Forces, so I grew up accepting that moving was part of our normal life. By the time I was 11, I had moved about 10 times. My parents then tried to stay within one area so I could have a permanent secondary school and I didnt move again until I was 15 when I left home.

Longest place I have lived was 6 years living and working in London.

England, Cyprus, Germany, England, USA, England, Turkey, England, Scotland, UAE.

I have been in the UAE for 4 years now and can see me moving on, but not sure when although if my day today is anything to go by, it will be sooner rather than later!

I would like to move to Australia, New Zealand or Canada, and for a city, woudl love to try New York. I have itchy feet and am finding myself looking at jobs in other countries, although at the moment, the money and roles available in Qatar are my best bet !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.