British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   September 11th 2001 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/september-11th-2001-a-480345/)

Paidtoplease Sep 10th 2007 5:37 pm

September 11th 2001

Can you remember where you were and what were you doing ???

Rog_Rams Sep 10th 2007 5:39 pm

Re: September 11th 2001

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5296892)

In Bahrain, on a sofa, watching CNN and BBC World in astonishment.

Paidtoplease Sep 10th 2007 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5296894)
In Bahrain, on a sofa, watching CNN and BBC World in astonishment.

I was in LHR running arround like a loon as my airlines were United Airlines and Air Canada... Glad you had your feet up :D

Border Reiver Sep 10th 2007 6:00 pm

In Toronto on holiday. Turned out to be no much of a holiday- BA lost my luggage between Newcastle and Gatwick when I flew out on the 10th but said not to worry, they would put it on a flight on the 11th. It was 3 weeks before I saw my suitcase again but at least I did get it back. Bit smelly in Canada though after 5 days in the same clothes..

Nu-Shooz Sep 10th 2007 6:05 pm

I was sat eating my dinner, TV turned down low as nipper was asleep. All i remember looking at was a burning building, thinking wonder where that is!!

Paidtoplease Sep 10th 2007 6:09 pm

The 1st I knew of it was I called one of the United reps and all she kept on saying was ''Oh my God'' ''Oh my God'' my 1st thought was Crap what have we done wrong now !!!

Inselaffen Sep 10th 2007 6:22 pm

was working my last day for my company in Antwerp! the prat I worked for was sure it was just an accident even after the second plane hit!

Had my parents visiting and when I got back to my apartment they were watching it on the news. shortly after the first tower fell! It was a truely horrific and barbaric day :(

Madam Medusa Sep 10th 2007 6:45 pm

at work...all crowded round the tv watching in horror and sheer disbelief...

MM, xx

maranelloman Sep 10th 2007 7:12 pm

Working in Luxembourg in an office next to the airport. Internet went down so we went to a kebab house on the way home and watched in on their tv.

Blue Cat Sep 10th 2007 7:17 pm

in cyprus on holiday, we flew back here on the 12th - it was a very quiet flight :(

Inselaffen Sep 10th 2007 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5297078)
in cyprus on holiday, we flew back here on the 12th - it was a very quiet flight :(

have had that experience before. When the TWA plane to Paris exploded over Long Island I was in a hotel a few miles away! I flew out of JFK on one of the first TWA flights the following morning down to Houston. Was very muted at the airport and on the flight! Some famous woman from Houston had been on the flight that exploded so it was just as bad on arrival.

Found out later that my mother had called my office in France because she knew I was flying back to Paris around that date and didnt know what Airline I was using! :o

lionheart Sep 10th 2007 7:38 pm

I was in Jeddah keeping a low profile, half expecting the USA to bomb the place in retribution...

maranelloman Sep 10th 2007 7:40 pm

:DSo who done it?

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Sep 10th 2007 7:48 pm

I was at home having one of the last god almighty rows with the ex, that soon shut us up ..

Having heard about it on and off for a few years, I actually watched Farenheit 9/11 last night. I wonder which bits weren't true.

maranelloman Sep 10th 2007 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles (Post 5297124)
I was at home having one of the last god almighty rows with the ex, that soon shut us up ..

Having heard about it on and off for a few years, I actually watched Farenheit 9/11 last night. I wonder which bits weren't true.

There was another video on the internet. I'll try and post up a link later. Really good.

Rog_Rams Sep 10th 2007 8:18 pm

Not wishing to be morbid, but for those that were watching on TV - do you recall the real-time horror?

The realisation that people were trapped on the top floors and indeed were jumping to their deaths in preference to the alternative.

Of course that was edited and / or not shown in subsequent footage, but that is one specific and most disturbing recollection of that days events.

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Sep 10th 2007 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5297195)
Not wishing to be morbid, but for those that were watching on TV - do you recall the real-time horror?

The realisation that people were trapped on the top floors and indeed were jumping to their deaths in preference to the alternative.

Of course that was edited and / or not shown in subsequent footage, but that is one specific and most disturbing recollection of that days events.

Never seen the Falling Man?

shakh your bootie Sep 10th 2007 8:41 pm

In a meeting with the McLaren F1 engineering team. We stopped the meeting and watched livestreaming video for about 10 mines, then carried on!

Rog_Rams Sep 10th 2007 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles (Post 5297202)
Never seen the Falling Man?

Nope, please enlighten me!

10 minutes later.............

Ah! Wikipedia'd it, thanks.

Those in the same boat as me may find it interesting to do the same.

Meow Sep 10th 2007 8:50 pm

I was watching it in TV in London, frantically trying to get hold of my brother who worked a couple of blocks away. He saw it all happen from his window. I also knew a few people who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald.

I'll never forget those pictures and the feeling of horror.

shakh your bootie Sep 10th 2007 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Rog_Rams (Post 5297259)
Nope, please enlighten me!

10 minutes later.............

Ah! Wikipedia'd it, thanks.

Those in the same boat as me may find it interesting to do the same.

She means the footage of the gentleman that threw himself from Tower II. Lemming instinct, I guess...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnA9FjvLSU

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Sep 10th 2007 9:05 pm

Sorry, got busy.

The Falling Man is a docufilm about trying to identify one of the jumpers. A couple of the more harrowing hours spent in front of the TV ever. It was shown on Channel 4 the week after Camp Xray, I'm not sure if it's a channel 4 production or not though.

shakh your bootie Sep 10th 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles (Post 5297309)
Sorry, got busy.

The Falling Man is a docufilm about trying to identify one of the jumpers. A couple of the more harrowing hours spent in front of the TV ever. It was shown on Channel 4 the week after Camp Xray, I'm not sure if it's a channel 4 production or not though.

I stand corrected. Oliver Stone's "World Trade Centre" was quite harrowing, too. He gave a public talk about it at last year's DFF. Glad he made the movie rather than a Holloywood mainstreamer - he managed to pull it off without down-your-throat american nationalism.

Kate45 Sep 10th 2007 9:12 pm

OH and I had just come in from being out to dinner and Mother in law had the news on we stood there and watched as the second plane flew into the other tower ...I will never forget it as long as I live. Absolutely horrible.

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Sep 10th 2007 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5297325)
I stand corrected. Oliver Stone's "World Trade Centre" was quite harrowing, too. He gave a public talk about it at last year's DFF. Glad he made the movie rather than a Holloywood mainstreamer - he managed to pull it off without down-your-throat american nationalism.

That's one of the things I liked most about the falling man, especially given it was shown in some ways as the flip side of the coin to the Gitmo atrocity.

I do believe the individual in the film is the man in the YouTube clip.

Inselaffen Sep 10th 2007 10:02 pm

There is a documentary by a french crew who had been filming with the firemen! they happened to be there at the right/wrong time. They were filming in lobby and every minute or so you could here a loud thud as something crashed into the ground. Completely numbing when you realise that the something was someone!

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Sep 10th 2007 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5297482)
There is a documentary by a french crew who had been filming with the firemen! they happened to be there at the right/wrong time. They were filming in lobby and every minute or so you could here a loud thud as something crashed into the ground. Completely numbing when you realise that the something was someone!

Aye, some of the very famous footage came from those French brothers.

Vimto Sep 10th 2007 11:00 pm

What was I doing at the time?
I was driving up SZR from Diera towards Jebel Ali, near Wafi I got a phone call from one of my collegues telling me 'a plane just hit the World Trade Centre', I told him that as I would be there in 30 seconds so I would confirm it, but so far I couldn't see any smoke.
I could hear him almost do a double take before he replied "not our World Trade Centre, the one in New York!'
The whole of Dubai was very quiet that night, every one was glued to CNN.

Paidtoplease Sep 10th 2007 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Vimto (Post 5297631)
What was I doing at the time?
I was driving up SZR from Diera towards Jebel Ali, near Wafi I got a phone call from one of my collegues telling me 'a plane just hit the World Trade Centre', I told him that as I would be there in 30 seconds so I would confirm it, but so far I couldn't see any smoke.
I could hear him almost do a double take before he replied "not our World Trade Centre, the one in New York!'
The whole of Dubai was very quiet that night, every one was glued to CNN.

You Muppet :rofl::rofl::rofl:

justin riseborough Sep 10th 2007 11:52 pm

Working on an Army Air Base. The place went into overdrive. Took me two extra hours to get out of the place that evening as the Americans started moving some of there planes there from germany.

For weeks after, even though we knew the guards on the gate, every morning was frisked and the car was searched top to bottom, inside and out by mirrors and dogs

Crash Sep 10th 2007 11:54 pm

I was sitting at my desk at work. I had just called AT&T because there was a problem with our last phone bill. The rep on the line suddenly told me that a plane had just hit the world trade center in New York. I tried to log on to CNN but the site had been crushed, there was only a small picture that showed the building on fire. I went down to our cafeteria, which had the monitor tuned to CNN, everyone was watching in horror. In our group of about fifty, there were only three arabic gentlemen, I remember them looking around nervously as a few people made comments that it must be "arabic terrorists." I went home a short while later and spent the entire day watching TV with my wife who was three months pregnant.

clifford Sep 11th 2007 1:36 am

I was in town UK with 1 year old son and hubby rang and said get home now and put tv on some thing bad has just happen

beebee Sep 11th 2007 1:47 am

I'll never forget it.. I was in hospital recovering from surgery.. a family member came to visit me to tell me that my brothers young wife had died of a blood clot to the lung.. then this..

mythic Sep 11th 2007 1:59 am

was coming back from kent, heard it on radio,

The Dean Sep 11th 2007 3:29 am

What goes around comes around........... I was in Riyadh working for the same bank in the same room that I returned to work for just three weeks ago.

We had live TV on (CNN, Bloomberg TV, etc) and the coverage was unforgettable - fragmented, presenters in shock, clearly nobody knowing what to say etc etc.......

The French documentary someone mentioned was poignant in itself - they were filming a New York fire dept rookie on his first day at work - all that survived was the camera - rookie and filmmakers perished.

From a personal point of view, I felt the shock in reverse - it was over a year later that I found out a former colleague from a bank in the City of London had been a Cantor employee, and had died that day.

And the best 'lucky escape' story? Australian wonder swimmer Ian 'Thorpedo' Thorpe who was on holiday in NYC at the time. He got up especially early to go up to 'Windows On The World' but as he reached the towers at about 8.30am-ish, he realised his camera wasn't in his holdall. He turned round and went back to his hotel to fetch it......... :ohmy:

MataHari Sep 11th 2007 4:03 am

I remember thinking life would never be the same...but somehow it is, or maybe I should say we have adapted in such a way that it is...

mythic Sep 11th 2007 4:06 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5298711)
I remember thinking life would never be the same...but somehow it is, or maybe I should say we have adapted in such a way that it is...

i think we just learn to accept these things and move on, hoping it will not happen again

MataHari Sep 11th 2007 4:07 am

Originally Posted by mythic (Post 5298717)
i think we just learn to accept these things and move on, hoping it will not happen again

which is good...cause what point is it to live in fear every day of things that might happen...

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Sep 11th 2007 4:08 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5298711)

It hasnt been, for millions.

MataHari Sep 11th 2007 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles (Post 5298725)
It hasnt been, for millions.

that's true, but it doesn't work that way does it...in the end you look at your own life, your kids, family etc...