Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Scumbag labour blighting the Corniche....

Scumbag labour blighting the Corniche....

Old Aug 26th 2012, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scumbag labour blighting the Corniche....

Originally Posted by Meow
From my own experiences many expats pay lipservice to those less fortunate and are simply not prepared to actually do anything other than moan.

Attempts to claim the high moral ground mean nothing without any action.
What can we do..........I am seriously short of ideas...........
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AirBender
Try and improve things or better things on what you have influence over , worrying about what is not in your control is futile in this part of the world .

Back in 1999 one of my workers had a serious accident in Abu Dhabi . He was hit by a heavy truck whilst discharging concrete and the truck shattered his left leg .

Back then health insurance was in it's infancy for those who were at the bottom of the food chain . I paid for the operation out of my own pocket as the company wouldn't sanction the cash , without that operation that boy wouldn't have walked again .

I was less than pleased with my boss at the time but it hammered home to me what a callous inhumane twat he really was and he was a Brit .

I get a letter every year from that guy and his family asking about my health and my family and that was 13 years ago .
I was in a position to do something which was the right thing to do at that time.

My mother still has all the letters which go to her address and it reading them reinforces the good in the world after you put up with so much shite out here in The Gulf .

Last edited by co durham boy; Aug 27th 2012 at 6:07 am.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:41 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Oh how appropriate.

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...our-camp-rant/
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I love this quote from his Mrs;

“There’s no doubt that Tim cares,” said Sarah Greville, Truss’s long-term partner. “Every time he drives past one of those sites, he gets this look in his eyes, and sighs. But between work, golf, and Friday brunch, I’m not sure how he’d fit it in.”
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:12 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Or there's this.....

http://findingabudhabi.blogspot.com/...tarianism.html

(Avoiding a hyperlink as I've discovered some of you struggle with those)
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AirBender
Lots of little things.

We cannot change the system out here, but we can improve the days of some individuals. Pay your maid, cleaner, gardener a decent wage and pay bonuses at Eid and Christmas. Tip people for decent service. Smile at the man in the petrol station, at the checkout, or who packs your bags. Tip them too.

When there are collections for labour camps (especially then the men have been abandoned without pay) make a donation. Give your old clothes, books and furniture to charity or to someone you know who will appreciate them (Our gardener is the best dressed on the street in my husband's old Paul Smith shirt!).

It may sound simple but the little things, being kind and considerate, do make a difference.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Or there's this.....

Well written because it was in danger of saying "Don't bother".
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Or there's this.....

Oh my. Do people really not have any idea how cultures are different and are actually surprised when those less fortunate do not behave as they are expecting? When I read things like this it does make me wonder about people's motivations. Is it to genuinely help others, or to make themselves fell better and brag about it?

A little thought goes a long way...
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:21 am

Oh my. Do people really not have any idea how cultures are different and are actually surprised when those less fortunate do not behave as they are expecting? When I read things like this it does make me wonder about people's motivations. Is it to genuinely help others, or to make themselves fell better and brag about it?

A little thought goes a long way...
Absolutely and my intent in posting this was definitely not to provide an alibi for people doing nothing...
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:37 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I don't mean to imply that Britain doesn't have a lot of horrors in their closet in regards to the Subcon , cause they certainly do; exploitation , brutal conditions, genocide/mass starvation etc..

But the West started to enact human rights and civil liberties. So isn't it a strong possibility that Britain would have turned the page on the SubCon and started to curtail some of the Imperialistic behaviour and act more humanely.
The West has been turning the page on human rights since the Victorian era when WE first banned slavery...

No other civilisation has come so far in terms of equal rights for women, different races and freedom of religion. No one else explores their dark past as much as we do either. Ask an Arab about the 1400 year Arab-African slave trade or the genocide of the Hindu's in India which lasted longer than the British rule there and killed upto 60million people - a number no other conqueror can get close to...ask and you'll be lucky to find one who admits to these things let alone affirms they have turned from them.

N.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:33 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
thanks for the clarification.
I actually think the British Empire would have turned even more savage, as all capitalist empires are wont to do when threatened, but nobody can say for sure, can they?
That goes against what was happening. The Empire was becoming more tolerant, more open. We banned slavery before anyone else, we introduced votes for women while still an Empire. The main reason we gave it back was the lack of will to keep it. The argument of money is nonsense - Empires can squeeze money and resources if they want to continue.

The truth is Britain should be remembered for how she gave back her Empire rather than how she attained it.

N.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:00 pm

From my own experiences many expats pay lipservice to those less fortunate and are simply not prepared to actually do anything other than moan.

Attempts to claim the high moral ground mean nothing without any action.
Often that's true and I agree. At the very least we could try to support companies and businesses that treat their workers better couldn't we? We could raise awareness and help with charities that help these people too.

What grates me is how rude expats are to staff who are clearly underpaid, treated badly and not trained properly. Make criticism constructive, give a tip for people who clearly try and be polite - they are judging us as much as we judge them...I can tell you Brits have a terrible reputation in this country as rude, arrogant drunkards.

Let's be polite, friendly drunkards instead

N.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Dame Hari has been thoroughly discredited.
In fairness, I thought that particular piece he wrote for The Indy was a pretty accurate portrayal of much of Dubai life even though he made up a lot of the details (memorably the Canadian lady living in her Land Rover). The one unpleasant part was where he wound up sweet old Sultan Al Qassimi, a genuinely decent and liberal bloke, to get his (doubtless embellished if not entirely fabricated) quotes about the pyramids that you reference. Even from the way Hari wrote the piece you could see he had completely unfairly baited him. Al Qassimi has been a vocal proponent of improving workers' conditions in this region, bravely so, considering he is a member of the Sharjah royal family.
I really don't see it as baiting him , unless asking a blunt no beating around the bush question is baiting. I can't imagine how one could spin his comments on slavery as anything but a negative. Unless ofcourse Hari did a James O'Keefe / Breitbart and edited the conversation to portray a disengenous or outright false representation of the Khaleeji fellow's comments.

I know some expats like to rag on Hari but in sum of things he is right. Sure he embelished , took some journalistic license etcc..but that was probably because he was trying condense and get across the general gist of the situation , all within a newspaper article.

And while the idea that the pyramids were largely built by paid workers has now moved into the mainstream, there was clearly still a great deal of coercion involved. And let's face it, Zahi Hawass is about as reliable as Johann Hari as a source, troubling though it may be to cast doubt on a man of such substance that he has his own clothes line (not the kind you have in your garden); for "the man who values self-discovery, historicism and adventure" no less...
Hawass is an egotistical media whore. One of the reasons I got annoyed with Discovery is because it turned into the Zahi Hawass channel. All this though does not take away from Hawas's academic qualifications and the consensus that slaves did not build the pyramids.

Anyway, Hari's sneaky little piece of gotcha journalism only had the effect of undermining genuine attempts to improve labour conditions here. In a rigidly hierarchical, honour and shame based culture, confrontation (especially when it is deviously misreported) is counter-productive. That does not mean we should do nothing, just do it smarter and more effectively. Pontificating about the cultural superiority of the west, even if it may be true, is only going to entrench attitudes.
Khaleejis have been like this for millenia, they aren't going to change unless forced to. They have had plenty of time to practice humanity. Why do they need more time or velvet gloves to simply get them to treat other races as human? These are very basic human rights, it's not like one is asking them to permanently accept millions of refugees.

If they can preach (Islam) about morality and righteousness then they dam well shoud know how to treat people. They invented a religion that preaches to others on how they should live/act, so it is only fitting they face pointed criticism.

Keeping quiet and not exposing to the world means they get away scott free. The victims's story needs to be told, just like: the extermination of Native Americans, Nazi crimes, WW2 Japanese atrocities, Imperialism, Black slavery, SubCon caste atrocities , Suharto's genocide in East Timor etc..; all needs to be told, not swept under the rug.

Khaleeji culture may be a couple of centuries - a mere blink of humanity's historical eye - behind liberal western thinking but sanctimoniously pointing our fingers is only going to ensure it remains so for a lot longer. None of us is without some blood on our hands over history. Slavery has been part of human culture for millennia (for the benefit of semi-literate posters: note the spelling and that the singular is millennium). Gulf Arabs continued slaving into the 20th century to their shame but the scale and cruelty of their activities never came close to the massive quasi-genocidal greed of the Atlantic slave trade. After all, black Khaleejis with local tribal names and positions would hardly be so prevalent if their ancestors had been castrated, now would they? [And anybody making tendentious claims like that should provide decent reference sources at least].
I don't have blood on my hands because I did not support , engage in or even give tacit support for slavery / genocide.

Saying that exposing their wickedness will make them stubborn to change allows them to effectively get away with it , i.e. not be saddled with a tarnished reputation and the victim's suffering goes unnoticed. If Nazis, , Imperial Japan, American colonists & European Imperialists can be criticised then so can Arabs. Why should Khaleejis get special dispensation? They criticise the West and Israel for treatment of Muslims and Palestinians . If the shoe was on the other foot, i.e. they were treated like Asian labourers, they would be screaming to the whole world of their situation and would want people to pay attention to their plight.

Engagement is the key to moving the social and cultural norms in the right direction. Most of us know very decent and kind locals who also disavow the mistreatment of foreign workers, so clearly there is already plenty of fertile ground to work on. Retreating to our expat bubbles to decry "those awful people" helps nobody. We live here. We benefit from those mistreated workers also. What have you [random BE forum member] done for them lately?
I know there are some decent locals but the culture as a whole doesn't care, because if the majority gave a dam, it wouldn't exist.
I left in the mid 90s at 17 years of age . Back then I didn't really pay attention to world issues, humanitarian issues etc.. so was not able to directly help any labourers.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

And let's not forget that what is now the U.A.E. used to be known as the Pirate Coast, and to be honest the morals of today's citizens hasn't evolved too much, either.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I really don't see it as baiting him , unless asking a blunt no beating around the bush question is baiting. I can't ................ I didn't really pay attention to world issues, humanitarian issues etc.. so was not able to directly help any labourers.
You make a lot of valid points, certainly worth some thought. Thanks for engaging like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.