Scottish Independence

Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
if Scotland votes yes and joins the EU then I assume there will be a flood of English students applying to go to Scottish Universities as they will no longer have to pay fees.
Andrew Neil is not impressed by Sturgeon but if you don't want to watch the whole clip try it from about 12 minutes in

Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

On immigration, the White Paper talks about "providing incentives to migrants who move to live and work in more remote geographical areas" of Scotland.
That should go down well in the glens.....

DB
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:36 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DustyBits
That should go down well in the glens.....

DB
You'd be surprised how welcoming folk are in the remote areas. Depopulation has been an issue since the clearances and folk are now happy to see anyone coming into their communities let alone folks with family or historical ties. Everyone knows that the only future hope for these communities is new immigrants (both Scots and expats) as the local populations are now mostly below a sustainable level even if the kids don't go off to the cities for work.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:57 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Why? What difference would it make?
Two main reasons:

(i) It will strip out one layer of Government i.e. Westminster, and make the Scottish Government fully accountable to their electorate

(ii) The Scottish Government will bankrupt the country within five years, the IMF will be called in and the public sector gutted and made fit the 21st Century.

I will be voting yes for the above two reasons.

Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

Originally Posted by shiva
You'd be surprised how welcoming folk are in the remote areas.
Em.....I'm from Torridon village in the Highlands at the end of a 10 mile single track road. It's 100% white Brits. I hear what you say, but still reckon I'm right on how small communities will react. Foreign tourists are one thing but I don't believe new (subsidised) residents of a completely different culture would receive the same welcome.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:54 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DustyBits
Em.....I'm from Torridon village in the Highlands at the end of a 10 mile single track road. It's 100% white Brits. I hear what you say, but still reckon I'm right on how small communities will react. Foreign tourists are one thing but I don't believe new (subsidised) residents of a completely different culture would receive the same welcome.
fair enough, I have family on skye who were pretty pissed about an indian family arriving initially (granted they are old and make hitler look positively tame!), now though they have done a 180 and decided if thats what it takes to keep some life in the place then so be it.

personally I'd rather it was Scots moving back, ideally with historical family ties but that just aint going to happen. Hell the govt a few years ago offered crofts to anyone who could show a family history and tie with crofting and nobody including myself took them up on it.

I know what your saying and im not saying it wouldnt be without incident but surely its better that than more abandoned settlements everywhere
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:12 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Having just spent a very unproductive half an hour on the phone to the British Embassy (he was Scottish which got me thinking), what happens if Scotland votes yes...I assume they'll have to establish embassies/consulates which would be very costly?

On the plus side, the idiot I spoke to may be out of a job. He was Googling as we were on the phone 'type this into a search engine'. FFS, all I was asking about was attesting a marriage certificate, that should be their bread and butter.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:52 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Having just spent a very unproductive half an hour on the phone to the British Embassy (he was Scottish which got me thinking), what happens if Scotland votes yes...I assume they'll have to establish embassies/consulates which would be very costly?

On the plus side, the idiot I spoke to may be out of a job. He was Googling as we were on the phone 'type this into a search engine'. FFS, all I was asking about was attesting a marriage certificate, that should be their bread and butter.
Of all the concerns to have this is the least of them. Lets face it, it would be extremely hard for any new set up to be any more useless than the current bunch of ****ing monkeys employed around the world
Old Aug 14th 2014, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Two main reasons:

(i) It will strip out one layer of Government i.e. Westminster, and make the Scottish Government fully accountable to their electorate

(ii) The Scottish Government will bankrupt the country within five years, the IMF will be called in and the public sector gutted and made fit the 21st Century.

I will be voting yes for the above two reasons.

You don't understand how the IMF works. Vote away.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Nobody I spoke to in Scotland could give a straight answer.

It was all random claims of X, Y or Z - probably procured from some shite paper. IE: similar to everything being spouted by everyone everywhere, including here and on the TV debate by the men meant to be repsonsible for this.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 12:46 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

How, just how, is it that you don't even have to be British to vote? If some figures I've seen are to be believed, up to 500,000 non-British Europeans will be eligible to vote--that's 10% of the population, FFS. That's mad, surely.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
We'd see how quick Scottish leftists become right wing if they had to suffer the same things the English have in some towns where they are now the ethnic minority.

N.
the polling shows that people in those areas are less bothered about immigration than those outside them, compare the polling of White British Londoners for instance to White British residents of the South East outside London, huge difference.
Although the former tend to be younger and better educated as well which are usually drivers of less hostile attitudes to immigrants.

On Scottish rural areas it's a similar programme to the Australian regional policy where teachers,doctors,nurse etc get extra points for taking jobs in remote areas or places destroyed by emigration to the cities.
I doubt the Scots are more xenophobic than the Aussies of the interior.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
How, just how, is it that you don't even have to be British to vote? If some figures I've seen are to be believed, up to 500,000 non-British Europeans will be eligible to vote--that's 10% of the population, FFS. That's mad, surely.
It's on residence criteria.
And the 500,000 figure is obviously nonsense, think about it
Old Sep 8th 2014, 2:04 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiraz1
It's on residence criteria.
And the 500,000 figure is obviously nonsense, think about it
I've no idea how many non-British Europeans live in Scotland...
Old Sep 8th 2014, 2:13 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I've no idea how many non-British Europeans live in Scotland...
Hundreds of thousands of people from across Europe have made their homes here in Scotland. 7.6% of the total UK population is made up of EU nationals, which is 4.8 million people. With Scotland’s 8.4% population share we could reasonably extrapolate that something like 400,000 EU nationals are living in Scotland (not including the 413,924 from other UK nations living here), although the actual number will likely be a bit lower because immigration isn’t equally spread across the country.

120,000 EU citizens who live in Scotland can vote on future of the Union

They're from two different sources (obviously, I suppose, although the latter source has also said 500,000).

What perturbs me is a) that only Scots living in Scotland get to vote (although I don't know how you'd define Scottish, and b) other Brits don't get to vote. It's a union, and surely dissolution of it is something all Brits should have a say in. I think we should have had a referendum on how the referendum was going to be handled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.