Saudi - Why?

Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:15 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi - Why?

I lived in Saudi (Riyadh) for a while and I doubt I will ever return but to dispel some of the myths:

There were a few unofficial compound bars (Salwa for example)
You could get home brew alcohol easily enough
A decent bottle of whisky was about $130
It was possible to mingle with women but only at the compounds and some select places like kingdom tower or a couple of others.
I managed to get laid also (without paying for it ) but it was a nerve racking business (going about it, not the actual act)

The money was worth it at the time, and I left every 3 months or so (part of my contract) but I doubt I would ever return

Last edited by weasel decentral; Dec 5th 2012 at 8:20 am.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Ash786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably the most difficult place to live in....however, as a short hop, I would suggest its worth a punt. I'm here till Jan 2013, by then will have made in 6 months what I would normally have made in about 11. I think for contractor types (married or single) a few short term stints (less than 12 months) out here are probably worth it for the money they are offering.

And because there is f**k all to do you here, you do actually end up saving a lot of money
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I lived in Saudi (Riyadh) for a while and I doubt I will ever return but to dispel some of the myths:

There were a few unofficial compound bars (Salwa for example). Plentiful booze on the US compounds.
You could get home brew alcohol easily enough. Yep, and it tasted like shite.
A decent bottle of whisky was about $130. $100
It was possible to mingle with women but only at the compounds and some select places like kingdom tower or a couple others. Only compounds.
I managed to get laid also (without paying for it ) but it was a nerve racking business (going about it, not the actual act). Alas, no. Had to save it all up for when I went home. Explosive.

The money was worth it at the time, and I left every 3 months or so (part of my contract) but I doubt I would ever return. Money was definitely worth it, but only got out about every 6 months. Survived for 20 months, vowed never to go back. Never's a long time...
I lived (ha!) in Riyadh some 25 years ago, comparison above.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
When I worked in Aramco an American had been there for just over 10 years, saved a lot to retire early. Three months into retirement he died of a heart attack.

Live is too short to live in Saudi.
I am by no means saying Saudi is awesome, but I know a young boy who was treated for leukemia here gratis at a top hospital and is now 6 years safely in remission. In his home country the care and outcome may not have been so good. He is not Muslim, nor were the family co-erced into converting
Just trying to strike a balance here.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:27 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I lived (ha!) in Riyadh some 25 years ago, comparison above.
Not much has changed really. It always had an oppressive feeling for me and I am definitely guilty of underestimating the consequences of some of the things I did while I was there. But I am a risk taker by nature.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:30 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lostinthedust
I am by no means saying Saudi is awesome, but I know a young boy who was treated for leukemia here gratis at a top hospital and is now 6 years safely in remission. In his home country the care and outcome may not have been so good. He is not Muslim, nor were the family co-erced into converting
Just trying to strike a balance here.
So move to Saudi just in case you get leukemia? To be fair I would go home for that as I did when my knee decided to break itself in the UAE.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'd not go either, but I've not been so I feel a bit harsh saying that, but it's Saudi.

It ruins a lot of CVs.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britexpat76
So move to Saudi just in case you get leukemia? To be fair I would go home for that as I did when my knee decided to break itself in the UAE.
He is TCN. The care is better in Saudi and if they had gone home for treatment the family would have been in debt forever.
Not relevant to a western expat of course.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I took another call this morning from someone wanting me to go to Saudi for a stupid amount of money, I obviously told them politely where to go......

Money aside (There is not enough in the world for me to go there) Why the hell would you live there?

As I see it, Single

No women
No bars

Married

No women
No bars
Your wife will hate you for taking her there
I has a fabulous time there. also met my husband there.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:48 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lostinthedust
Because I don't like bars or women
Me neither
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:53 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Married

No women - Hope your wife isn't on BE
No bars - With 2 small kids and #3 on the way I wouldn't see many bars either way
Your wife will hate you for taking her there - not necessarily. Mine is quite happy not having to work and spend some quality time with kids and some leisure time while kids are in school
See above.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
When I worked in Aramco an American had been there for just over 10 years, saved a lot to retire early. Three months into retirement he died of a heart attack.

Live is too short to live in Saudi.

Exactly. A couple of months of misery is one thing, but years of it? No way. No one knows what's around the corner and if you don't have some enjoyment every day, you are wasting your life.

A trite saying I agree with - a day without laughter is a day wasted.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:00 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Meow
Exactly. A couple of months of misery is one thing, but years of it? No way. No one knows what's around the corner and if you don't have some enjoyment every day, you are wasting your life.

A trite saying I agree with - a day without laughter is a day wasted.
We laugh here every day. I am past the stage when nonsense was throwing me in despair.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Scamp
It ruins a lot of CVs.
What ruins CVs?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
What ruins CVs?
When people go to Saudi, do 4 months and leave hating the place demanding the same money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.