British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Saudi - Why? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/saudi-why-779677/)

britexpat76 Dec 5th 2012 7:22 am

Saudi - Why?

I took another call this morning from someone wanting me to go to Saudi for a stupid amount of money, I obviously told them politely where to go......

Money aside (There is not enough in the world for me to go there) Why the hell would you live there?

As I see it, Single

No women
No bars

Married

No women
No bars
Your wife will hate you for taking her there

scot47 Dec 5th 2012 7:29 am

Re: Saudi - Why?

Life in Saudi ? Depends on your employer. Aramco ?

Irishbeekeeper Dec 5th 2012 7:35 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10416683)
I took another call this morning from someone wanting me to go to Saudi for a stupid amount of money, I obviously told them politely where to go......

Money aside (There is not enough in the world for me to go there) Why the hell would you live there?

As I see it, Single

No women
No bars

Married

No women
No bars

Bahtatboy Dec 5th 2012 7:45 am

Depends where, for who and number of R&R breaks.

Work in Dhahran? Live in Bahrain (admittedly not as attractive as it once was).

Top-flight employer? They may be understanding.

R&R breaks? Dubai and Bahrain are short hops away. And your liver will appreciate it.

britexpat76 Dec 5th 2012 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10416717)
Depends where, for who and number of R&R breaks.

Work in Dhahran? Live in Bahrain (admittedly not as attractive as it once was).

Top-flight employer? They may be understanding.

R&R breaks? Dubai and Bahrain are short hops away. And your liver will appreciate it.

So live and work in Dubai or Bahrain, Not 1476?

Spugsy Dec 5th 2012 7:52 am

As I see it, Single

No women
No bars

Married

No women
No bars

I'd rather iron my balls than even set foot in that place.

NorthernLad Dec 5th 2012 7:58 am

As I see it, Single

No women
No bars

Married

No women
No bars

I'm currently in Riyadh de Janeiro, the only positive I can give is my liver is recovering after the 7's weekend.

90 minutes in passport control, eventually into an office where I had to converse in sign language with one of the rudest people I've ever met (and that was without understanding what he was saying). And yes, I had a valid visa.

OleJanx Dec 5th 2012 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 10416735)
I'd rather iron my balls than even set foot in that place.

+1

Bahtatboy Dec 5th 2012 8:01 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10416734)
So live and work in Dubai or Bahrain, Not 1476?

Depends on your goals and the balance you can strike. If I could earn in Saudi double what I earn now, with decent leave cycles and a decent employer, I'd probably do it. And I really hate the place. But I've got fairly specific goals, and by earning double I could achieve one of them in 3 years instead of 10, which might be worth it.

NorthernLad Dec 5th 2012 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10416745)
Depends on your goals and the balance you can strike. If I could earn in Saudi double what I earn now, with decent leave cycles and a decent employer, I'd probably do it. And I really hate the place. But I've got fairly specific goals, and by earning double I could achieve one of them in 3 years instead of 10, which might be worth it.

When I worked in Aramco an American had been there for just over 10 years, saved a lot to retire early. Three months into retirement he died of a heart attack.

Live is too short to live in Saudi.

lostinthedust Dec 5th 2012 8:06 am

Because I don't like bars or women ;)

britexpat76 Dec 5th 2012 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10416745)

I would sell my soul to the devil in a flash for 10 years salary, but I couldn't sell my soul to those retards...........

britexpat76 Dec 5th 2012 8:08 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10416749)
When I worked in Aramco an American had been there for just over 10 years, saved a lot to retire early. Three months into retirement he died of a heart attack.

That is my understanding.

OleJanx Dec 5th 2012 8:10 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10416749)

That's if the silly sods don't cause you to have a heart attack whilst (not) living the dream.

Bahtatboy Dec 5th 2012 8:15 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10416764)
That's if the silly sods don't cause you to have a heart attack whilst (not) living the dream.

From another thread:

e. I wish that I had let myself be happier. I wish that I'd more often applied the principle of working out which things I can change and which I can't, and then doing something about those I can and accepting those I can't.