Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Recession is Over !!!!!!!!

Recession is Over !!!!!!!!

Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recession is Over !!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by soukie
I thought you were an Architect!
I am, I try to take a pragmatic approach to everything, but I do have to listen to the kind of garbage spouted by the majority of my counterparts day in day oot. What's the difference between an architect and god? Well god doesn't think he's an architect... Same goes for economists too I reckon.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Wait till you get to the ME and start mixing with the construction muppets (as Commander calls them) - it will be a real eye opener for you - I really don't know how half of them have managed to get jobs here....
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:59 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHawkes
Not sure what you mean HK? I don't have any plastic to spend?!

I said "some good news" because the "recession" has been horrible for a LOT of people....... even for people that have no loans etc.

So whats your point?
my point was complete sarcasm... Spending "plastic" (credit cards) was partially what got the world into this mess and I sincerely hope we'll never see that kind of frivolous credit-giving from banks again.

As you say, the recession has been horrid for a lot of people - Mr Kitty, myself and most of our friends are in Construction and so almost everyone I know has been affected in some way... if it weren't for the recession, my hubby wouldn't be 6000 miles away from me and our daughter right now.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
my point was complete sarcasm... Spending "plastic" (credit cards) was partially what got the world into this mess and I sincerely hope we'll never see that kind of frivolous credit-giving from banks again.
Im betting not seeing as they've had their testicles singed from defaulters over the last few months.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soukie
Wait till you get to the ME and start mixing with the construction muppets (as Commander calls them) - it will be a real eye opener for you - I really don't know how half of them have managed to get jobs here....
Well as ever, he has a point. I do know that prospective employers in the ME are very keen on detail and evidence of qualifications held by prospective candidates, perhaps related to visa requirements, but in my experience more letters after your name don't necessarily equate to enhanced ability. Some of the most highly qualified architects I have worked with have been absolutely useless in reality, but with great line in horseshat and good at passing exams.

Nemind, I'll sort it all out when I get there LOL
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Look out for the ones that have titles but no qualifications too - often recuited as clerks and then work as Snr QS's at reduced rates of pay!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:15 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Im betting not seeing as they've had their testicles singed from defaulters over the last few months.
"hope" being the operative word.

Saying that, I was well pleased to make the most of the whole 0% on CC transfers after I finished uni. Self-avowed credit tart here... great way to clear debt.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK property market recession is not yet over according to this...

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/05062009/389...se-prices.html
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
Lionheart says that our FTSE stock portfolio hit rock bottom in March and has risen over 20% since then with over a dozen mining/energy stocks up over 100%. As an example Jubilee Platinum worth 7p in March is now 55p. On that evidence, there are positive signs of the recession being over...but watch out for the "dead cat bounce" he says. Fingers crossed.

There has been a big move to commodities over the last few months, hence the increase in stocks/funds in that sector. Other sectors are still pretty flat and whilst there is money to be made in certain sectors (I have happy clients!) we are still going to see many areas struggling for some time yet.

Plenty of companies, especially smaller ones, are going to go to the wall yet. In part due to cashflow issues as larger companiess are taking ever longer to settle invoices. I'll put my head above the parapet and say the recession isn't over yet although you will see plenty of positive reports as teh press try and talk things up. Too quick a bounce upwards would actually be bad news and unsustainable.

-
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil_95051
I am declaring the recession is over. Oil already in $70s. I guess this is the right time to buy property in Dubai with price down by 50%. Job market may take a few more months to recover.
you go for your life. This time next year Rodney..

Originally Posted by Shadya
Most of us on here sincerely hope that your optimism is not misplaced...and your qualifications in economics are?
Even economists merely stab in the dark based on historic events.

Then when it goes wrong according to their judgement, it's always a case of 'well unfortunately this never happened before'.

Just the same as estate agents, they just want the cash. That is where their loyalty is.