Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Recent examples of insanity

Recent examples of insanity

Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:46 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recent examples of insanity

"ABU DHABI // Women driving too slowly are causing accidents and traffic jams and can lead to as many problems on the roads as speeding drivers, the Ministry of Interior said yesterday."

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ONAL/701159748

this is despite the fact that 92% of accidents were caused by men

"According to findings from an investigation titled Soft Driving: Confusing for Others, or a Model? released by the Ministry yesterday, 2,916 of the 3,172 traffic accidents recorded last year in the capital were caused by men almost 92 per cent. Just 256 accidents were caused by women drivers. The term “soft driving” refers to female motorists."

Visit visas: New entry permits only a month after exit
"A visitor needs to get a new entry permit to re-enter the country once he or she leaves the country for any destination. The new entry permit will be issued only after one month from the date the visitor leaves the UAE"
"http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/visa/visit-visas-new-entry-permits-only-a-month-after-exit-1.569074"

"Major General Mohammad Ahmad Al Merri, Director-General of the Dubai General Department for Residency and Foreigners Affairs, told Gulf News: "A visitor needs to get a new entry permit to re-enter the country once he or she leaves the country for any destination. The new entry permit will be issued only after one month from the date the visitor leaves the UAE."

Major General Al Merri was responding to a question about visitors who face difficulties in returning to the UAE after a short sightseeing trip to Oman or after leaving in a hurry for a meeting in Bahrain.

They cannot re-enter the UAE immediately since a new visa will be issued only after a gap of at least one month"

so my family can come see us but if we go to oman for the day they have to stay there fro a month before they can come back into the UAE WTF???

this one will be great for business NOT
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent examples of insanity

Originally Posted by shiva
"ABU DHABI // Women driving too slowly are causing accidents and traffic jams and can lead to as many problems on the roads as speeding drivers, the Ministry of Interior said yesterday."

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ONAL/701159748

this is despite the fact that 92% of accidents were caused by men

"According to findings from an investigation titled Soft Driving: Confusing for Others, or a Model? released by the Ministry yesterday, 2,916 of the 3,172 traffic accidents recorded last year in the capital were caused by men almost 92 per cent. Just 256 accidents were caused by women drivers. The term “soft driving” refers to female motorists."
92% of accidents being caused by men is probably related to the fact that circa 92% of drivers here ARE men.

Aside from that....too slow can be as dangerous as too fast so they have a point there (not sure if it's valid to say it's just women). Best is when all vehicles are travelling at the same speed......a reason why there is a min. speed limit on higher speed roads.

Last edited by Jeeper; Jan 18th 2010 at 6:58 am.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:03 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
92% of accidents being caused by men is probably related to the fact that circa 92% of drivers here ARE men.

Aside from that....too slow can be as dangerous as too fast so they have a point there (not sure if it's valid to say it's just women). Best is when all vehicles are travelling at the same speed......a reason why there is a min. speed limit on higher speed roads.
agreed but thought it was typical to just hump the blame on women. besides my personal experience is that its usually a bloke in a white sunny or echo thats sits in the middle of the road doing 50km/hr
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

agreed but thought it was typical to just hump the blame on women. besides my personal experience is that its usually a bloke in a white sunny or echo thats sits in the middle of the road doing 50km/hr
On my way to Al Ain every day I noticed that everyone sits in the middle lane of the 3 lanes available.

This means overtaking is done on the left lane only.
Even though the right lane is empty we have these fools flying up the back of a car which is overtaking some slacker in the middle lane.

Why do people drive in the second from left lane all the time?

I have taken to heading down the right lane (yes - it's undertaking) and beeping as I undertake on a personal crusade to get people to move over.

It actually works about 50% of the time....I look in the rear mirror and the ******nut in the 'Great Wall' toyota actually moves over!

Or get this one.....(not related to subject at hand) - the other day i notice a local dude (with car covered in UAE paraphenalia) throwing rubbish out his car window while parked in the carpark.
There was a rubbish skip not 2 meters away.

I go up...knock on his window and the following conversation followed:

Me "You know what that is over there?"
Him "yes"
Me "What is it?"
Him "A rubbish bin"
Me "so why, when it's just there - barely 2 meteres from your car, do you throw your rubbish on the ground?"
Him "ok"

I think i'm being a bit too cheeky so left it at that.
But 10seconds later I witness him get out of his car....pick up his rubbish and put it in the bin!

I was amazed!

and yes - i need to leave before someone kicks me in the head for taking the p.iss.

Last edited by Jeeper; Jan 18th 2010 at 7:29 am.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:17 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

< snip>
Visit visas: New entry permits only a month after exit < snip >
I couldn't blieve that when I read it in the papers. I'm winding up my company and going home to Oz. My work/residence visa with my sponsor ends on 22nd February and I had planned to just to use sequential visit visas via Hatta to stay until I sold my apartment, boat and car. Seems that will not work now. I suppose I will have to apply for a residence visa, since I own the apartment.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

The visa thing doesn't include those members of the 32 odd countries that get an automatic visa on entry. We can still do visa runs with no problem.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:56 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
The visa thing doesn't include those members of the 32 odd countries that get an automatic visa on entry. We can still do visa runs with no problem.
Thanks for that.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:57 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
Indeed, I clarified this on another thread. They won't piss off people from countries who supply them with most of the oil money and skilled professionals...

...however the immigration officer on duty does have the right to not let you in if they think you are actually working on a visit visa. I've only heard of it happening once...because the twat told the officer he was working for a locally based company rather than saying he's waiting for his residency to be processed like a smart person would.

N.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:10 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

It's not Enoch is it? C'est Monsieur Hulot?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:32 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Or get this one.....(not related to subject at hand) - the other day i notice a local dude (with car covered in UAE paraphenalia) throwing rubbish out his car window while parked in the carpark.

Him "yes"
Me "What is it?"
Him "A rubbish bin"
Me "so why, when it's just there - barely 2 meteres from your car, do you throw your rubbish on the ground?"
Him "ok"

But 10seconds later I witness him get out of his car....pick up his rubbish and put it in the bin!

I was amazed!

and yes - i need to leave before someone kicks me in the head for taking the p.iss.

That is my number one pet hate about AD-the way people,majority in kanduras I have to say, chuck junk outta their car windows.
I can chill about the queque jumping, the interrupting when I am speaking with a sales assistant,waiter or whoever..I can even put up with the stalking staring at my bizonkers but I can't 'shut it' when I witness a massive McD's or BK brown paper bag of empties being hurled from a Landcruiser or dumped on the ground as a driver exits the vehicle.The red mist is way off the richter then. :frown

Re the lady drivers.....what's the point of local ladies taking an eyesight test only to drive fully veiled???
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Him "yes"
Me "What is it?"
Him "A rubbish bin"
Him "ok"

I was amazed!

Well done. Even I cannot be bothered with that kinda stuff anymore. I reckon shaming people by showing them to be unpatriotic/dirty when compared to foreigners is a good way of making them AWARE.