A question for you

Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: A question for you

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I don't know about anywhere else but Jumeirah's policy is.....

The 10% service on the bill is put into a collective fund. a % of that is used to improve facilities at their Oasis Village staff accommodation (like cinema/games/ etc ) and the rest is divided out to ALL staff in the hotel including the guys who sweep the paths or do the maintenace and have no contact with the clients so therefore do not get tips.
If customers leave additional monies on top of the 10%, that is put in a pot and divided amongst the staff of THAT restaurant...which is normal practice in any decent restaurant :-)
That's good, I like stuff like that. It's not the best thing in the world they could do but it makes life a bit better I suppose.

Often the best guys/girls you meet are the ones sweeping or dirving the golf cart.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:39 pm
Banned

charismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
My only concern is that unhappy exploited employees in a restaurant kitchen are less likely to wash their hands after going for a dump
They are seething, just under the surface they are seething and spitting (or worse) on our food. No doubt
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:51 pm
Banned

charismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant futurecharismatick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Meow
Interesting responses. I said nothing specifically about the lowest paid workers (in the ME or anywhere), just asked generally.

Let me be more specific. You like a cafe/restaurant and have been a few times, but then find out that the owner, shouts at staff behind the scenes, is something of a bully and has sacked people for no good reason. Would you continue to go there, or would you find somewhere else? Would you even try to do anything about it?

We all know that numerous people in the ME are poorly treated, but just shrugging and saying that's the case doesn't help anyone. There are companies where staff are treated better, so surely it is preferable to patronise them, rather than those who mistreat - if at all possible?
If everyone thought like you the world would most certainly be a better place Meow. Empathy is the most attractive quality in a person.

I think 10% is ridiculous, downright insulting. I'm a 40 to 60, sometimes 100% tipper. 100% if i'm coming back, 40 if i'm not.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:30 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

If you knew that establishments (shop, restaurants or companies generally) treated their staff poorly, would it put you off giving them your custom? Would you avoid going there?

I can't really name places for legal reasons (although I know quite a few and I am sure you do too) but am generally curious about the bored's (sic) take on this.
Yep I'd never go again.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting responses. I said nothing specifically about the lowest paid workers (in the ME or anywhere), just asked generally.

Let me be more specific. You like a cafe/restaurant and have been a few times, but then find out that the owner, shouts at staff behind the scenes, is something of a bully and has sacked people for no good reason. Would you continue to go there, or would you find somewhere else? Would you even try to do anything about it?

We all know that numerous people in the ME are poorly treated, but just shrugging and saying that's the case doesn't help anyone. There are companies where staff are treated better, so surely it is preferable to patronise them, rather than those who mistreat - if at all possible?

I'd like to think that I would do something, speak to the manager and tell him why I'm not coming back.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

If the food was good id carry on going there. He may well have a good reason for shouting at the staff or sacking them, behind the scenes. Personally i would go there to eat not to be a human rights activist.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go back. Then again, I wear cotton, eat chocolate, drink coffee, own an Apple product, have diamonds and gold: all products of exploitation in one form or another.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen...