Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Question : memories from your childhood

Question : memories from your childhood

Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:09 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question : memories from your childhood

Originally Posted by Meow
I think my earliest memory is of being on a tricycle going down a small slope (a big hill in my mind) and my mum telling me to keep my feet on the pedals and slow down. Naturally I did the opposite and swerved off the path down a grassy hill ending up with grazed knees.
How old were u then?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

beccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nice

I remember a holiday to Greece when I was 2.5. I fell in a hole in the road and grazed my leg. My parents have no recollection of such an event!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I remember being taught to walk..so..maybe 9months or a year old. My parents threw a bar of chocolate to each other and kept standing me up and encouraging me to walk.
I also remember my younger sister being born, I was 2 years and 2 months old... we were not allowed into the hospital, so my father took us across the road and my mother stood at the window with my sister in her arms. My mother was amazed when I told her of that memory..I even described the coat my older brother was wearing..... brown wool with a black velvet collar.

Interesting about learning to walk. I also have a memory of a nappy change on the dining room table when (so maybe before 2). However, I do wonder if I remember the event or the story... Mini Millhouse remembers stories of events that happened in Abu Dhabi but I'm pretty sure that he doesn't actually remember it first hand - more like he retells a story he has heard us say (with some extra colour).
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
It might explain the Nutella obsession...
Have much love for Nutella!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversilver

Have much love for Nutella!
When I was a kid, my preparation for reading a Famous Five book was to spread nutella on slices of bread. Nutella + Famous Five = Ahhhhh
Old Nov 16th 2013, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

I clearly remember being in my first home while my mum hung the washing out and remember the brightness of being outside. Must have been around 2 to 2.5 years old.

Last edited by Ditzy; Nov 16th 2013 at 2:05 am.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember my next door neighbours fluffy white cat in my first house- we moved from there when I was 3 - I don't recall a specific incident just I remember she used to sit on a high window ledge in the lounge and I could never reach her. I can't recall much else about that house other than that.

My first holiday memory is from when I was about 4 and we were allowed to go to bed in our sleeping bags as we were driving overnight to Wales , I can remember my dad carrying me out to the car still in my sleeping bag - that's all I can remember from the holiday but I can remember the brown and orange sleeping bag and my dad carrying me.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 4:49 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

My first memory I remember not being able to hold a white rabbit that my brother had, and some woman, not my mum, telling me I was too young.

I was wearing toddler reins, so was between a year and a 18th months.

I also remember the layout of the house we lived in and moved from when I was 2 1/2 years

I remember my 2nd birthday party quite vividly, especially my dress and my dad playing with me and holding me and talking to me ... he died 2 mths later.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 5:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

My earliest memory is waiting for my dad to come home on a Thursday night, my sister and I would wait at the gate stood on one of the bars, and when he got home we opened the gate for him and followed the car down the drive. When he got out he would give each of us a small paper bag containing a very tiny Hovis bread loaf, probably no more than abut 3" long which we had with our tea. I must have been under 5 at the time as he died when I was 5.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 10:01 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
How old were u then?
That would be a relevant fact! Three years old.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 4:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I either do remember, or can picture it...but; My Grandad holding my hand on top of the Empire State Building whilst wheeling a big handle to turn a penny into a stamped logo/souvenir thing. Must have been sub-2yrs.

Definitely remember my goofy hat with big ears from Florida, being in the buggy and finding the hat really annoying. Must have been about 2-3 then.

Scamp doesn't do domestic memories you see...
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite early childhood, but this thread woke up another memory: Three adults and 5 kids ( me included) going to Skegness in my Dad's Rover 2600. If you tried that now, I dare say the police would short-circuit!
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I remember crying when I was about 7yrs old because one of my step-sisters laughed at my shit swimming shorts when she found out they were from TK Maxx.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 12:18 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Something what Millhouse said earlier stuck with me, either you remember it or your remember a picture of it as someone told you what you did.
I am not sure if it is a memory or memory of a picture but I might have jumped on top of my great grandfather when he was sitting on the couch. Poor guy was atleast a hundred and I remember my dad going ballistic..ha!
That was definitely before 3 years old.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:05 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Deckard: Remember when you were six? You and your brother snuck into an empty building through a basement window. You were going to play doctor. He showed you his, but when it got to be your turn you chickened and ran; you remember that? You ever tell anybody that? Your mother, Tyrell, anybody? Remember the spider that lived outside your window? Orange body, green legs. Watched her build a web all summer, then one day there's a big egg in it. The egg hatched...

Rachael: The egg hatched...

Deckard: Yeah...

Rachael: ...and a hundred baby spiders came out... and they ate her.

Deckard: Implants. Those aren't your memories, they're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.