Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Question : memories from your childhood

Question : memories from your childhood

Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:31 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Question Question : memories from your childhood

By my own mistake I left a particularly gory action movie (300) on at the Telly and then came back a few minutes later to find the elder one, almost 5 years old, watching it with rapt attention. I naturally turned it off and have kicked myself in the head a few hundred times after that. But it got me thinking, what is your earliest childhood memory and how old do you guesstimate you were when that happened?

I remember a huge courtyard of flat cobblestones and me running extremely fast on them with my parents yelling at me to slow down. I know for a fact that it was 1980 in Muscat, Oman and I was 5 years old.

Obviously we have a million other kiddie memories but I want to know what is your earliest memory that you can think of and how old do you think you were then?
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:39 pm

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question : memories from your childhood

Reason for asking : I guess I am curious at what age should parents start being extremely careful around their growing up children, the obvious answer is all the time but in my opinion is 5 is when one starts soaking in long term memories.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

One very early memory is being on the back seat of a blue Ford Zephyr III ( fin-tail type) that was 1965 'C' reg.I must have been about three at the time. Why it sticks in my mind is one of those things. Can't tell you what happened two weeks ago, but a trivial memory several decades ago? Odd thing the memory, perhaps it's been corrupted...

Last edited by OleJanx; Nov 14th 2013 at 8:05 pm. Reason: !
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I was about 3 or 4 years old; remember coming home tired and plopping onto the bed and letting out an "ahhhh".
Also recal at about the same age, sitting on a forklift in Abu Dhabi.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember everything about a house (decoration, layout etc) that we moved out of when I was about 2.5-3. I can also remember the day we moved into the new house.

I suspect you remember only very major events when you are young. Mini Millhouse (6.5) can remember some things from when he was about 3 if prompted but most stuff is forgotten.

Just don't let them watch the tooth fairy video on you-tube.

Last edited by Millhouse; Nov 15th 2013 at 4:21 am.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

I remember being fascinated by making mud. My friends and I would all make mud pies and then chase each other with the mud on sticks. Yes mud and sticks I remember well. Why???? I have no idea!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversilver
I remember being fascinated by making mud. My friends and I would all make mud pies and then chase each other with the mud on sticks. Yes mud and sticks I remember well. Why???? I have no idea!
It might explain the Nutella obsession...
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being taught to walk..so..maybe 9months or a year old. My parents threw a bar of chocolate to each other and kept standing me up and encouraging me to walk.
I also remember my younger sister being born, I was 2 years and 2 months old... we were not allowed into the hospital, so my father took us across the road and my mother stood at the window with my sister in her arms. My mother was amazed when I told her of that memory..I even described the coat my older brother was wearing..... brown wool with a black velvet collar.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Irishbeekeeper, it is not the memories that we remember that may become difficult for us, be those we do not remember,as they are there without ous realizing.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Irishbeekeeper, it is not the memories that we remember that may become difficult for us, be those we do not remember,as they are there without ous realizing.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
This is too long to post here, I'll tell you on FB.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

This is too long to post here, I'll tell you on FB.
I saw darling..still mystified xx
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:59 am

So from what I can gather, children will start picking up things regardless of their age.

The mind is such a mysterious place I think.

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Just don't let them watch the tooth fairy video on you-tube.
And why or how would you come across something like this is a more scary question Millhouse

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
It might explain the Nutella obsession...

I think I understand, although I feel there is something else in there which I don't know
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I saw darling..still mystified xx
Mystified is good
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:39 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I think my earliest memory is of being on a tricycle going down a small slope (a big hill in my mind) and my mum telling me to keep my feet on the pedals and slow down. Naturally I did the opposite and swerved off the path down a grassy hill ending up with grazed knees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.