Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Question for the hausfraus

Question for the hausfraus

Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:56 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for the hausfraus

Ok - don't brutalise me too much but I really haven't done much in the way of laundry for ages, certainly not since before coming out to DXB. I vaguely remember doing the wash once or twice whilst at university but quickly got a girlfriend to take care of it for me.

Now that I'm in my own place and I don't have a maid and I'm not planning on getting one (shocker ain't it), which means I need to do my laundry. There's a machine buried in a closet down the hall between the kitchen and bedroom. It looks new and I've figured out how to turn it on.

Now my question is what exactly do I do with the detergent and soaps and softeners and all that? I found the drawer that has three slots. Do you put detergent in one of the slots or all three? If only in one slot what's the other two for?

This brings up another topic. At C4 I see all these fabric softeners and special soaps. What are they for? Which brand is good for what?

I have a few spots on several of my white shirts thanks to the cat drooling on them, and I bought a bottle of spot remover, but it says to put the sachet into the pile of laundry and not in any of the slots. Is that ok? I ask because then what are the extra slots in the detergent drawer for?

How much detergent is generally good for a load of wash? I have this nightmare of flooding the apartment with soapy water and spending ages cleaning up after it. Though it'd be good fun for the cat who is getting a serious case of cabin fever.

Any advice is well appreciated.

Ta.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for the hausfraus

[QUOTE=Ethos83;8827018]Ok - . I vaguely remember doing the wash once or twice whilst at university but quickly got a girlfriend to take care of it for me.

Lol, that's my sons plan...
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I vaguely remember doing the wash once or twice whilst at university but quickly got a girlfriend to take care of it for me.

Now my question is what exactly do I do with the detergent and soaps and softeners and all that?
I suggest that you drink them - it will be less painful than what Meow will probably inflict upon you.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Grace O Malley;8827024]
Ok - . I vaguely remember doing the wash once or twice whilst at university but quickly got a girlfriend to take care of it for me.

Lol, that's my sons plan...
I dated the college house keeper... all these things were taken care off.

I also had the cleanest room in the college.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - don't brutalise me too much but I really haven't done much in the way of laundry for ages, certainly not since before coming out to DXB. I vaguely remember doing the wash once or twice whilst at university but quickly got a girlfriend to take care of it for me.

Now that I'm in my own place and I don't have a maid and I'm not planning on getting one (shocker ain't it), which means I need to do my laundry. There's a machine buried in a closet down the hall between the kitchen and bedroom. It looks new and I've figured out how to turn it on.

Now my question is what exactly do I do with the detergent and soaps and softeners and all that? I found the drawer that has three slots. Do you put detergent in one of the slots or all three? If only in one slot what's the other two for?

This brings up another topic. At C4 I see all these fabric softeners and special soaps. What are they for? Which brand is good for what?

I have a few spots on several of my white shirts thanks to the cat drooling on them, and I bought a bottle of spot remover, but it says to put the sachet into the pile of laundry and not in any of the slots. Is that ok? I ask because then what are the extra slots in the detergent drawer for?

How much detergent is generally good for a load of wash? I have this nightmare of flooding the apartment with soapy water and spending ages cleaning up after it. Though it'd be good fun for the cat who is getting a serious case of cabin fever.

Any advice is well appreciated.

Ta.
ah sweet pea, I am in good form today, so here.

Usually the fist slot is for detergent for a pre wash, the second also for detergent for the main wash and the third for fabric conditioner.

The fabric conditioner is supposed to make the clothes softer and smell nice, but as the water is so hard here, it doesn't really make them soft. Comfort is what I usually get.

Stain remover, get a spray one, that you apply before the wash, then throw in with the rest of your laundry.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Always check the label

Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:59 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

bless yer cotton socks - and here's hoping they don't come out pink!

Powder in the middle slot. The slightly shallower slot is for the conditioner, but you don't really need it. You can even get tablets that do 2-in-1 (a bit like the dishwasher tablets), which will take out all the faff of measuring and stuff. They'll go in the middle compartment.

Apart from that, all you need to know is to wash everything at 40 degrees. Even skanky boxer shorts. This will be especially useful if you have a washing machine like mine which just has a cryptic sequence of numbers with no description as to which does what and for how long.

Stain removers? Nothings perfect, but Vanish is quite good and I'm moderately impressed by the little Dylon "dry clean" one (black bottle) that dabs on. Always read the destructions on the label...
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:03 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
MH used a smiley? Time has stood still...
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:21 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Washing powder is much of a muchness - I usually use Ariel or Persil.

It will tell you how much you need - the directions are usually on the generous side, so reduce a bit. A scoop and a bit for a full dirty load, usually - half that for a lighter wash.

Washing everything at 40 is a good plan, usually on the cotton wash without pre-wash, which is often program B / 2 (where A / 1 is the same but with pre-wash).

If you're washing really delicate things (look at the label - the number in the washing basket is the max temperature, and if there is a bar or two underneath the basket it means delicate), use the "delicates" or "synthetic" cycle.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just remember this simple rule, laundry is a bit like Apartheid: separate your Coloureds, Whites and Blacks.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:27 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaw crap! Now you tell me I have to use washing powder. Last 4 weeks I've just chucked the washing in. Don't smell tooo bad!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Much obliged, people. Much obliged.

Will give the machine a chance and see how it goes.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

alternatively ring your local laundry service. They will collect, wash and press and return within 1 or 2 days.
I have a washing machine somewhere but I'm not sure where Tess keeps it.

"I don't need a man to keep me happy- but a maid is essential."
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
alternatively ring your local laundry service. They will collect, wash and press and return within 1 or 2 days.
I have a washing machine somewhere but I'm not sure where Tess keeps it.

"I don't need a man to keep me happy- but a maid is essential."
ha ha you forgot shoes and brunches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.