Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Qatar Tourist Dress Regs (aka Leggings are not Pants)

Qatar Tourist Dress Regs (aka Leggings are not Pants)

Old May 31st 2014, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar Tourist Dress Regs (aka Leggings are not Pants)

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I like the no muffin top picture :-)

Personally I don't have a problem with it. Personally I think clarity on what is wearable is a good idea- getting rid of the grey area makes sense. This is acceptable- this isn't- simple as that. Leaves less room for people landing themselves in trouble. If you're in a strict muslim country what exactly are you expecting? I can't believe anyone would not do their research before travelling and if they don't then more fool them. I don't know why people are kicking up such a stink- human rights my arse, is wearing a cropped top or a pair of daisy dukes really the be all and end all? Come on you're in a country where women wear an abaya- show a bit of respect. Just seems like common sense to me. You are no longer in Croydon - get over it. To be honest when I go home I have to admit I wish some people would cover up a bit more and behave a bit better- your average friday night out involves puking in the street or coping off in public (at least find a dark corner) or falling over drunk flashing your 'smile' isn't exactly what human rights protestors had in mind I am sure - a bit of self respect wouldn't go a miss in our home country. Or maybe I've been here too long?

I would question if countries want to be seen on an international level how much they will have to shift their values. Hosting the world cup (and what comes with that ie boozing/fighting/men wearing shorts/singing of offensive songs/flashing of boobs and moobs etc) is obviously a complete contradiction to the lifestyle and seems like lunacy to me and I don't see how that can end as anything other than a shambles. On one hand at least KSA is what it says it is. You know what you get when you go there. The other countries which are trying to be something in between are the ones that appear to be struggling to find a balance of their ethics.

I saw Kuwait are trying to ban the bikini as well;
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/kuwait...inis-1.1340063
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News...approved-.html
hmm, not wrong. BUT......how about women, the respectful ones, wearing skin tight abayas and their faces are caked in garish makeup and all that is balanced on sky high heels? Versus a lose summer dress that shows shoulders and knees? And a strict Muslim country? Qatar???? Seriously??? Maybe, just maybe those people who have never been here or in any other "Muslim" country will believe that story...No. This whole thing is about power. About having found yet another angle to "lord it over" the Western/ non Muslim people here.
Old May 31st 2014, 9:09 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the no muffin top picture :-)

Personally I don't have a problem with it. Personally I think clarity on what is wearable is a good idea- getting rid of the grey area makes sense. This is acceptable- this isn't- simple as that. Leaves less room for people landing themselves in trouble. If you're in a strict muslim country what exactly are you expecting? I can't believe anyone would not do their research before travelling and if they don't then more fool them. I don't know why people are kicking up such a stink- human rights my arse, is wearing a cropped top or a pair of daisy dukes really the be all and end all? Come on you're in a country where women wear an abaya- show a bit of respect. Just seems like common sense to me. You are no longer in Croydon - get over it. To be honest when I go home I have to admit I wish some people would cover up a bit more and behave a bit better- your average friday night out involves puking in the street or coping off in public (at least find a dark corner) or falling over drunk flashing your 'smile' isn't exactly what human rights protestors had in mind I am sure - a bit of self respect wouldn't go a miss in our home country. Or maybe I've been here too long?

I would question if countries want to be seen on an international level how much they will have to shift their values. Hosting the world cup (and what comes with that ie boozing/fighting/men wearing shorts/singing of offensive songs/flashing of boobs and moobs etc) is obviously a complete contradiction to the lifestyle and seems like lunacy to me and I don't see how that can end as anything other than a shambles. On one hand at least KSA is what it says it is. You know what you get when you go there. The other countries which are trying to be something in between are the ones that appear to be struggling to find a balance of their ethics.
My thoughts exactly. Come 2022 I shall pull up a chair get some popcorn and watch the fun begin.
Old May 31st 2014, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Alexa, any woman that shows her shoulders and knees is obviously a hussy.
Old May 31st 2014, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Alexa, any woman that shows her shoulders and knees is obviously a hussy.
Yup. Obviously.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Flicks the bird at norm
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Women should be obscene and not heard...

N.
nothing wrong with a bit of noise, Norm.