Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Seaworld coming to a MidEast nation; maybee..

Seaworld coming to a MidEast nation; maybee..

Old May 16th 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seaworld coming to a MidEast nation; maybee..

The CEO of U.S. theme park operator SeaWorld Entertainment Inc., Jim Atchinson, said Wednesday that the company had "entered into an exclusive six-month memorandum of understanding" with "a partner who has an established track record of opening and operating world-class attractions."

Under the MOU, SeaWorld will assess the possibility of "a multi-park development in the Middle East."
http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/1.591071

Hope it fails . Just not right to confine Orcas and Dolphins to a pool.
Old May 17th 2014, 8:30 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seaworld coming to a MidEast nation; maybee..

Originally Posted by Boomhauer

Seeing as the west are pretty much boycotting these places now I can see them relocating to China and the ME where animal rights/protection are non existent.
Old May 17th 2014, 9:53 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Sadly too many people don't seem to care. Witness the popularity of people wanting to swim with dolphins at Atlantis. Dubai Dolphinarium is still going too. I refuse to go, but even the pictures on their website are depressing.
Old May 18th 2014, 5:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'd love to swim with Dolphins but christ alive in Dubai it's: A. Monumentally expensive and B. Looks brutal and shit for the dolphins.

I'm not at all an animal rights warrior but I think for animals like dolphins and whales, they can't be happy in big tanks, no matter how wonderful and large they are.
Old May 18th 2014, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Watch Blackfish - great movie.
Old May 18th 2014, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

So... just me then that would be going At least I won't have to queue for the rides.
Old May 18th 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
So... just me then that would be going At least I won't have to queue for the rides.
I have a Seaworld an hour down the road and I'll probably never go again after watching Blackfish. I always felt a little bit dirty after watching the dolphins anyway - we don't have orcas at ours. I much prefer going on a whale watching boat and seeing them in the wild - it's a truly beautiful experience. The first time I went, we were following this young male for ages and he kept going away from the boat (and you can't get too close to them) just as the skipper was about to give up on it and go back at the end of the day, a pod of dauphins came up to our boat and swam beside us, then they went out to the whale and brought him back to the boat and played with him, it was fantastic.
Old May 18th 2014, 9:39 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Agreed. Sadly too many people don't seem to care. Witness the popularity of people wanting to swim with dolphins at Atlantis. Dubai Dolphinarium is still going too. I refuse to go, but even the pictures on their website are depressing.
Not necessarily, Sea Worlds and various other captive animal extravaganzas are finding themselves legislated out of business or just losing then PR battle. At least around these parts.
Old May 18th 2014, 1:34 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Watch Blackfish - great movie.
I do not agree at all with keeping any animals in captivity but Blackfish is a load of nonsense owing to the fact that no one in it actually worked with the Orca's

http://seaworld.com/en/truth/truth-about-blackfish/
Old May 18th 2014, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I do not agree at all with keeping any animals in captivity but Blackfish is a load of nonsense owing to the fact that no one in it actually worked with the Orca's

http://seaworld.com/en/truth/truth-about-blackfish/
That just looks like Seaworld propaganda to me. There were people that worked with Orcas in that movie and the others couldn't be there because they'd all been killed by them.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:29 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Kim67
That just looks like Seaworld propaganda to me. There were people that worked with Orcas in that movie and the others couldn't be there because they'd all been killed by them.

Really? You can't tell me you actually believe that

It was a shock-doc which generally don't tell the whole story to something as it tends to make the program boring. Take it with a pinch of salt.
Old May 19th 2014, 4:12 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Really? You can't tell me you actually believe that

It was a shock-doc which generally don't tell the whole story to something as it tends to make the program boring. Take it with a pinch of salt.
I guess you have the shock-doc v highly paid PR/lawyers of Seaworld.

It's all still wrong, along with Atlantis having people swimming with the dolphins that were taken from the wild.

It disgusts me (and I've made this very clear to anyone I know who's swam with dolphins in Atlantis or been to the dolphinarium).
Old May 19th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I guess you have the shock-doc v highly paid PR/lawyers of Seaworld.

It's all still wrong, along with Atlantis having people swimming with the dolphins that were taken from the wild.

It disgusts me (and I've made this very clear to anyone I know who's swam with dolphins in Atlantis or been to the dolphinarium).
In your expereince ,is it mostly Western expats who are critical of the dolphin capitivity at Atlantis?
Old May 19th 2014, 6:36 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

In your expereince ,is it mostly Western expats who are critical of the dolphin capitivity at Atlantis?
Tricky one...the people I know who have been for the 'dolphin experience' are all Western expats.1
Old May 19th 2014, 8:20 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

I never doubted that mate, I made that clear and completely agree with you. I watched blackfish and it is nonsense, but a show saying the correct thing 'Don't keep intelligent mammals in captivity to entertain the brain dead masses' would be pretty short.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.