purse strings

Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: purse strings

After, between four of us, flying to UK 18 times in 2008 (with all the added costs that incurs) due to family ill health and funerals we had already decided that 2009 had to be the year of the budget! We've managed to nearly halve our weekly shopping bill (good tip - don't take the kids to the supermarket with you), no longer throw away food at the end of the week, and are seeing money we spent on flights and car hire slowly being replaced. With the global recession we don't expect to be out of Saudi as soon as we thought so have decided we should just stash as much money away as possible, while still having an OK life. I think as we are approaching old age we are more aware of the need to save and invest, and prepare for retirement - which of course includes pushing the kids hard so they get highly paid jobs and can look after us in our old age!!

N
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
well said that man. it staggers me when people struggle to pay rent and wonder why,moan about it, yet they cant get enough of 350aed brunches and dinners.....which to be frank are largely shite, places full of wankers eating shite food that hotels can get away with because everybody is pissed
I have never understood how people can part with 350 dhs for lunch? how much food can you eat and drink! It's just no my thing, I would rather spend it on a nice cut of beef and home made dinner with a bottle of fizz
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I have never understood how people can part with 350 dhs for lunch? how much food can you eat and drink! It's just no my thing, I would rather spend it on a nice cut of beef and home made dinner with a bottle of fizz
I am not in to buffet lunches/dinners either, but when you add up the costs of cooking at home, all the little extras, it adds up.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree BC, I eat very little and only drink a couple of glasses of wine at one time, so for us it was a huge waste of money and we never went. But lots of people get sucked into the whole Dubai thing and that's part of it I guess. Friday lunch for us was always at DOSC - great VFM.

N
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

some of the brunches here are great though...personal thing i guess...

MM, xx
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:42 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
well said that man. it staggers me when people struggle to pay rent and wonder why,moan about it, yet they cant get enough of 350aed brunches and dinners.....which to be frank are largely shite, places full of wankers eating shite food that hotels can get away with because everybody is pissed
I think Friday brunches will see a drastic decline now - most people seem to be awaking to the fact that they are not value for money anymore.

We did succumb to Al Qasr for Christmas lunch (being lazy) and it was noticeably quieter than last year.

A lot of our friends here are now starting to save rather than go out on weekends and pay around 35dh+ for a drink...we spent NYE at a friends house party which only cost a parking ticket and some booze from RAK, was one of best NYEs we've had.

Friends who were back in Ireland at Christmas could not believe how quiet the bars were.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I think Friday brunches will see a drastic decline now - most people seem to be awaking to the fact that they are not value for money anymore.

We did succumb to Al Qasr for Christmas lunch (being lazy) and it was noticeably quieter than last year.

A lot of our friends here are now starting to save rather than go out on weekends and pay around 35dh+ for a drink...we spent NYE at a friends house party which only cost a parking ticket and some booze from RAK, was one of best NYEs we've had.

Friends who were back in Ireland at Christmas could not believe how quiet the bars were.
Its prob cheaper to go out for xmas lunch! and less hassle!

Think a lot of people are starting to think about how they spend their money. No more handbags for me!

Ireland's pub trend ended a long time ago, smoking ban, opening up of Offie's, the guards are very hot on drink driving now, lack of taxis, people tend to drink at home.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:18 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

we went to the Atlantis, was empty! we had dinner with our ex boss

Originally Posted by annacarna
Its prob cheaper to go out for xmas lunch! and less hassle!

Think a lot of people are starting to think about how they spend their money. No more handbags for me!

Ireland's pub trend ended a long time ago, smoking ban, opening up of Offie's, the guards are very hot on drink driving now, lack of taxis, people tend to drink at home.
I made a turkey dinner here the other night it cost me 100 dhs for the three of us then we had turkey left overs for the rest of the week turkey's aren't just for Christmas
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

we went to the Atlantis, was empty! we had dinner with our ex boss

I made a turkey dinner here the other night it cost me 100 dhs for the three of us then we had turkey left overs for the rest of the week turkey's aren't just for Christmas
OMG I couldn't turkey more than once per year, 3 hours to cook, no, no, no.

100 dibs, thats cheap! I paid nearly 400 at Christmas!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Now that things are looking a bit scary and lots of job losses are you holding back on spending on non essential items and going out less at the moment or are you stashing more away?
Taking it a step further, it would be interesting to know if, due to the fall of the GBP and the increase in expenses, if former non-working wives (or partners) have had to go to work to 'top up' the family income, or if things haven't got to that point.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream
Taking it a step further, it would be interesting to know if, due to the fall of the GBP and the increase in expenses, if former non-working wives (or partners) have had to go to work to 'top up' the family income, or if things haven't got to that point.
I doubt it Squirty as a lot of companies have got a recruitment freeze.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:41 am
Concierge

OMG I couldn't turkey more than once per year, 3 hours to cook, no, no, no.

100 dibs, thats cheap! I paid nearly 400 at Christmas!
you can get some nice small turkeys 3 kg take a few hours, well worth it ! bang it in the oven and leave it
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:45 am
Concierge

I am doing more relocation work, believe it or not, expecting it to dry up shortly though
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:48 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

a little AED income would be nice to make up for the GBP deficit, however my good lady is fully employed right now being a mum.

I could get a little sideline though come to think of it....Cheers squirty, you have just planted a seed....

(now how do you do short circuit calculations again??)
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
a little AED income would be nice to make up for the GBP deficit, however my good lady is fully employed right now being a mum.

I could get a little sideline though come to think of it....Cheers squirty, you have just planted a seed....

(now how do you do short circuit calculations again??)
I had to work when my children were lilttle, so I used to work nights once the youngest was sleeping through the night and didn't need a night feed (none of them accepted bottle feeding). I think it must be lovely to be a full time Mum.

Good luck with your 'sideline'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.