Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

This probably explains why UKIP is gaining support

This probably explains why UKIP is gaining support

Old May 13th 2014, 10:06 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This probably explains why UKIP is gaining support

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
As others have said it's about perceptions.

All media, regardless of political leanings has to report interesting news - and time and time again it's been shown people want to hear bad news.

There are legitimate debates to be had on religion, immigration, Britain's relationship with the European Union and many other subjects that UKIP seem to be gathering support on. The problem as I see it is that sensational reporting on one hand doesn't give proper appraisals of the situation and condescending reporting of aforementioned reporting (which is basically 'buy our paper, not theirs - they are wrong!/racist/sexist or whatever) doesn't give a better view of reality either.

The logical fallacies in the media are utterly shocking, as are the omissions. That's why it's important to do your own research rather than just trusting the media or politicians alone. Avoiding swift judgements is also a good idea - we do love to put people in labelled boxes don't we?

It's also dangerous to rely on statistics

N.
78.4% of people would agree with that.
Old May 13th 2014, 2:31 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this article was on point with the media / Farage "issue"

Nigel Farage's relationship with the media is peculiar, fascinating and instructive. The media doesn't know what to do with him and that's both self-evident and part of his appeal. He represents a longing for old certainties; when Britain's isolation was stubbornly glorious, when you could drive home after a couple of lunchtime sharpeners, when Twitter and Tumblr and Michael Crick couldn't make or break a politician's career. As such, he and his cohorts are allowed to stumble slightly when faced with baffling, prissy, nimble modernity. In fact, that apparent lack of slickness might even be part of the nostalgia trip.

http://thequietus.com/articles/15236...ctions-bellend

But then again I'm a leftie and should not be trusted....
Old May 13th 2014, 3:05 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Thought this article was on point with the media / Farage "issue"

Nigel Farage's relationship with the media is peculiar, fascinating and instructive. The media doesn't know what to do with him and that's both self-evident and part of his appeal. He represents a longing for old certainties; when Britain's isolation was stubbornly glorious, when you could drive home after a couple of lunchtime sharpeners, when Twitter and Tumblr and Michael Crick couldn't make or break a politician's career. As such, he and his cohorts are allowed to stumble slightly when faced with baffling, prissy, nimble modernity. In fact, that apparent lack of slickness might even be part of the nostalgia trip.

http://thequietus.com/articles/15236...ctions-bellend

But then again I'm a leftie and should not be trusted....
That's quite a piece coming from a rag described by Wikipedia as: a British online rock music and pop culture magazine, focusing on arts news, reviews, and features.

I agree, spot on. Just don't expect rationality from the British public anytime soon.
Old May 13th 2014, 8:03 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That's quite a piece coming from a rag described by Wikipedia as: a British online rock music and pop culture magazine, focusing on arts news, reviews, and features.

I agree, spot on. Just don't expect rationality from the British public anytime soon.
I don't expect rationality from the British public, but I do hope for it
Old May 14th 2014, 1:09 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Humanity as a whole is not rational. Britain is a more advanced country and I'd still say half the population could be culled without serious impact on innovation, forward thinking and sensible discourse.

Humans suck my friend...

N.
You have a very lucky friend.
Old May 14th 2014, 1:09 pm
Hit 16's

Humanity as a whole is not rational. Britain is a more advanced country and I'd still say half the population could be culled without serious impact on innovation, forward thinking and sensible discourse.

Humans suck my friend...

N.
I didn't see that in the UKIP manifesto.
Old May 15th 2014, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

They barely have a manifesto. Have looked on their website and it's not as detailed as one would hope for a growing party.

N.

thats why they're a growing party.
Old May 18th 2014, 6:52 pm