Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread

Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread

Old Jan 6th 2014, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread

Wow, you guys really think I'm that stupid, eh? Glad we get to voice opinions openly

As for any kinda "trolling" I think calling homosexuality a lifestyle choice is pretty intense trolling. It's an inflammatory statement that goes directly contrary to scientific knowledge.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 3:58 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread

Originally Posted by Markie
Wow, you guys really think I'm that stupid, eh? Glad we get to voice opinions openly

As for any kinda "trolling" I think calling homosexuality a lifestyle choice is pretty intense trolling. It's an inflammatory statement that goes directly contrary to scientific knowledge.
You are not homosexual though. I used lifestyle choice as a phrase as you said you preferred to hang about with lesbians, wear glitter and mascara. I would say you were making a lifestyle choice, just as I make a lifestyle choice by wearing action slacks, a mobile phone holster on my belt and yellow tinted aviator shades. None of which are illegal in the UAE I hasten to add, in fact they are actively encouraged in some of the bars I go to.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fossildog
You are not homosexual though. I used lifestyle choice as a phrase as you said you preferred to hang about with lesbians, wear glitter and mascara. I would say you were making a lifestyle choice, just as I make a lifestyle choice by wearing action slacks, a mobile phone holster on my belt and yellow tinted aviator shades. None of which are illegal in the UAE I hasten to add, in fact they are actively encouraged in some of the bars I go to.
But that's not what you said, you didn't refer to me. You said BEING homosexual is a lifestyle choice. Heck ya, I make my choices and hang out with the funnest people I know
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:04 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

But that's not what you said, you didn't refer to me. You said BEING homosexual is a lifestyle choice. Heck ya, I make my choices and hang out with the funnest people I know
No I didnt. I said:

"Why not visit somewhere where your lifestyle choices are more acceptable, and legal? There are loads of places around the world where you can enjoy alternative nights out without the legal complications"

Did not mention sexuality at all.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fossildog
No I didnt. I said:

"Why not visit somewhere where your lifestyle choices are more acceptable, and legal? There are loads of places around the world where you can enjoy alternative nights out without the legal complications"

Did not mention sexuality at all.
Oh, sorry, I wasn't referring to what you said I was referring to what Mike said. Sorry I got confused in answering you.

And I know how to fit in with social norms in places, but even my passport photo maybe a suspicion to them, ya know?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

にゃ (that means meow in Japanese )
You started the Nippon, but now you don't like?
Scientific knowledge you say? You talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikewot
You started the Nippon, but now you don't like?
Scientific knowledge you say? You talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?
No I do like, just not a fan of what (I think, by looking up words and piecing things together the best you can) you're saying But hey, anything will help me learn Japanese. So far I only know a few words and can read (as in pronounce, not understand) Hiragana and Katakana.

And sure, here's some science:

"There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."
http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Darling, if you are that precious, special and different...it may be better you stay on your own turf.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alexa
Darling, if you are that precious, special and different...it may be better you stay on your own turf.
As a citizen of three countries, who has spent decent enough amounts of my life in all three, what would that turf be?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

And sure, here's some science:
You think psychological mumbo jumbo is science? Wow!
Account Closed

As a citizen of three countries, who has spent decent enough amounts of my life in all three, what would that turf be?
From your website you are American.
Forum Regular

You think psychological mumbo jumbo is science? Wow!
Um, yes, yes I do.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

From your website you are American.
It's more complex than that... LOL, I've lived so many places I don't even know what I'd call myself.

Anyways, not sure why this devolved to homosexuality laws. Since it was about ALCOHOL laws. BTW, the British Psychological Society agrees if you don't think the APA is scientific enough. I quoted the APA because they write the DSM - the internationally accepted standard publication (including by BPS) for diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders.

I mentioned homosexuality only because it fit in the context of middle eastern laws against "sins" like alcohol.

BTW, the state I'm living in in the US only legalised homosexuality about a year ago. It's crazy...
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

BTW, the British Psychological Society agrees if you don't think the APA is scientific enough. I quoted the APA because they write the DSM - the internationally accepted standard publication (including by BPS) for diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders.
So now you're saying that homosexuality is a mental disorder? You really are confused.com
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

So now you're saying that homosexuality is a mental disorder? You really are confused.com
No, but if you knew the history, you'd understand, so I'll clarify.

The APA used to list homosexuality in the DSM, classifying it as a mental disorder. Gay rights groups didn't like that, obviously. So the APA engaged in an extensive review of academic and scientific research, and reached the conclusion that homosexuality is a normal variation on human behaviour and attraction; and that it is is not a choice or a mental disorder.

Thus, they removed it from the DSM and have condemned "reparative therapy" or any other "treatment" or implication that sexual orientation is either a choice or a disorder.

This delisting of homosexuality from the DSM was a massive leap forward for LGBT rights worldwide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.