Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Persian carpet sellers...

Persian carpet sellers...

Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:39 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Persian carpet sellers...

Shiva,
Scuse my ignorance(and lazyness)

War Carpets?

TIA
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:36 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Shiva,
Scuse my ignorance(and lazyness)

War Carpets?

TIA
usually Afghan, can either mean newer stuff containing images of modern warfare, ie modern rifles tanks etc, or carpets belonging to famous warlords which are more strictly antiques than war carpets but its a commonly used term that gets around numerous language barriers.
the newer ones are not to my or most peoples taste but as a cultural symbol and statement are well worth asking to see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_rugs
http://www.rugreview.com/stuf/afgwar.htm
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/afghanwarrugs

http://englishrussia.com/?p=675
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:38 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:50 pm
**** it we'll do it live

general guides

http://www.spongobongo.com/Oriental_...rsian_Rugs.htm

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publi...creen=carpets2

"Once you've found a rug that interests you, make sure you examine it thoroughly. Start by feeling its nap and texture. It should feel velvety and soft to the touch. Rugs that have been poorly cared for are often brittle, stained or torn, so make sure that the rug is completely unfolded for you to inspect for any hidden problems.

Also, closely examine the hand-tied knots. In general, the smaller and tighter the knots, the finer the quality of the rug. But don't rely on this fact alone -- while a rug made in Pakistan may have more and tighter knots, it may not be as valuable as one originating from a rarer workshop in Persia. Persian rugs, in general, are the ones favored by most serious collectors because they are crafted from the best quality wool or silk and feature the most unique designs.

While antique rugs can be expected to show some signs of wear, savvy buyers look for examples that are in as close to original condition as possible. Some problems should be apparent to the naked eye -splits, tears, or glaring repairs can all affect the value of a rug. But a close inspection can also turn up some less obvious problems. Some older rugs on the market today are actually two rugs which have been joined - look hard, particularly on the back of the rug, for any signs of a seam which could indicate this. And while wear is common - rugs are meant to be used, after all - a uniform patina of age across an entire rug could be a sign that it is a modern piece that been specially treated to look like an antique. And all rug buyers should be on the look out for signs of dry rot. This fungus, caused by exposure to moisture, can make a rug brittle and inflexible. If possible, lift the rug to see how it bends. If it feels stiff, it may be suffering from dry rot.

Once you've found the perfect Oriental rug - either to start your collection or simply to dress up your home - there are a few simple steps you can take to make sure that it holds both its beauty and its value while in your care. Naturally, most people choose to display their rugs on the floor, which, after all, is where they belong! This is fine, but make sure that the rug is placed well away from damp areas, which can promote dry rot, and direct sunlight, which over time can cause fading. Hallways and other parts of the home with a lot of foot traffic are not generally good places to put a valuable carpet. But don't feel that you have to hide the rug away - most good Oriental rugs are extremely well made, and should stand up well to normal household wear.
"
"Quality rugs appreciate if you take good care of them and -- even after decades of enjoyment -- can often be more valuable over time than when they were purchased."

http://www.jacobsenrugs.com/guide.htm
http://www.karelweijand.com/InfoPages/CarpetTypes.htm
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:54 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Yeeesh!!!!...erm, none of them match my colour scheme-but thanks for info.
I'm maybe looking for less modern, kinda Bayeaux thing........
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:02 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Eva
Yeeesh!!!!...erm, none of them match my colour scheme-but thanks for info.
I'm maybe looking for less modern, kinda Bayeaux thing........
they are an aquired tast for sure.......but worth seeing
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:13 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by mydogbitjesus
thanks Shiva. good reply. I've seen ok wool carpets of 1.4x2.4m at 1,500dhs, and "silk"!? carpets of 1.0x2.0m for 13,000dhs and everything in between, I may end up going for some cheapies so if I get ripped off I won't be too worried. I'd really like a nice silk carpet but I don't know enough about them and they are expensive and a bit too much of a gamble. I'm not sure if they would be too keen on me burning it to do the "smells like burned hair" test!
its impossible to say whether thats a good price or not without seeing the rug but 1500 for 1.4m x 2.4 m isnt too far off the mark if its ok quality and design...mid range if you like.

if your after cheapies you could do worse than carrefour, seriously they have some ok woolen stuff for a decent price.

whatever you do dont buy machine made and most sellers wont mind doing a burn test if they think your a serious buyer not just a browser
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:20 pm
**** it we'll do it live

good general guide to knot count and quality.
Any dealer here should be able to tell you the knots per square inch of any given rug
http://www.oldcarpet.com/knots.htm

Last edited by shiva; Jul 7th 2008 at 1:20 pm. Reason: broken link repaired
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:30 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Varamin on that link is class.How many hours and how many aching fingers I wonder?...it's beautiful though.
Quite William Morris I think.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... I want the 9-11 rug. That is cool.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:50 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Wow... I want the 9-11 rug. That is cool.
Just in the door and stirring it up already!
Besides ain't ya made a nice white furry rug outta the furball yet?
Would compliment the trim on that lampshade you are wearing in
your avi more.........
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Just in the door and stirring it up already!
Besides ain't ya made a nice white furry rug outta the furball yet?
Would compliment the trim on that lampshade you are wearing in
your avi more.........
Don't speak to me about that ****** pain in the arse beast... Little orphan anneemal that no-one wants.... I am never, NEVER going to take on someone elses pet again... If I even think about it, just shoot me dead...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:06 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't speak to me about that ****** pain in the arse beast... Little orphan anneemal that no-one wants.... I am never, NEVER going to take on someone elses pet again... If I even think about it, just shoot me dead...

Stifling the guffaws................Ah its a shame,-poor unloved pussy.
I know how it feels.Hey why don't you take it to the Falcon Hospital near the airport.Say you off on vacation and give Inse's(he'll be on honeymoon) or MacScots(he's always on holiday ) contact details.........be careful it doesn't get hit by a cab en route though
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Stifling the guffaws................Ah its a shame,-poor unloved pussy.
I know how it feels.Hey why don't you take it to the Falcon Hospital near the airport.Say you off on vacation and give Inse's(he'll be on honeymoon) or MacScots(he's always on holiday ) contact details.........be careful it doesn't get hit by a cab en route though
Why would a falcon hospital want a cat??? Do they use them as prey????

Nah, seriously I have been lying in bed at night trying to dream up humane DIY cat euthanasia ploys.... Gassing him in the oven seems to be about the best, closely followed by sticking him in a pillowcase & hurling him 11 stories....

I'll commission an Afghan rug in his honor depicting his heroic final moments....
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:23 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would a falcon hospital want a cat??? Do they use them as prey????

Nah, seriously I have been lying in bed at night trying to dream up humane DIY cat euthanasia ploys.... Gassing him in the oven seems to be about the best, closely followed by sticking him in a pillowcase & hurling him 11 stories....

I'll commission an Afghan rug in his honor depicting his heroic final moments....
haaaaahahahahaha- just put him out with the milk a la Topcat.He can get over his abandonment issues in therapy.Easier on your conscience and your neighbours who would have to clean the remnants of the splat cat off their windows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.