Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Persian carpet sellers...

Persian carpet sellers...

Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Persian carpet sellers...

Are there any really trustworthy persian carpet sellers in Dubai?...(or Sharjah!) I just get the feeling they are always asking about ten times the real value of the carpets they are flogging!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Persian carpet sellers...

Originally Posted by mydogbitjesus
Are there any really trustworthy persian carpet sellers in Dubai?...(or Sharjah!) I just get the feeling they are always asking about ten times the real value of the carpets they are flogging!
ah but value is only how much anyone is willing to pay for it!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:45 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
ah but value is only how much anyone is willing to pay for it!
I'd love a proper persian flying carpet, like from the days of Sinbad and that.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
maybe they sell them in Ikea!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:20 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
maybe they sell them in Ikea!
pile of shite, I bought a sofa 3 months ago and its already falling to bits. I'm gonna chuck it out ina few months and buy the proper expensive one we originally wanted,

take heed the old saying - buy cheap, buy twice!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

I can imagine you flying around Dubai on your magic carpet, bottle of Newcastle brown in one hand, spliff in the other
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

pile of shite, I bought a sofa 3 months ago and its already falling to bits. I'm gonna chuck it out ina few months and buy the proper expensive one we originally wanted,

take heed the old saying - buy cheap, buy twice!
yeah, i hate ikea...

MM, xx
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:43 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by scarletfan
I can imagine you flying around Dubai on your magic carpet, bottle of Newcastle brown in one hand, spliff in the other
me too mate, how good would that be?? I could come and rescue you from the clutches of big brother....
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:44 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah, i hate ikea...

MM, xx
hmmm, we got it as it was comfy and we couldn't bear shopping anymore, didn't cost loads really...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

yes loads, just dont buy in Mall of the Emirates, Souk Madinat etc as you'll most likely pay way way over the odds for a piece of crap, unless its very clear that your clued up.

do your research, most of the guys selling here are more than happy to explain all about the rugs where the pattern is from where they were woven etc. After a while and asking loads of different guys you'll start to get an idea of starting prices.Its all about the knot count threads and location

Top Tip, very good rugs are eye wateringly expensive, easily into the 10's of thousands, very high knot count
good rugs arent cheap, medium knot count
cheap rugs are cheap and wont last. low knot count obviously made by indian, pakistani or chinese sweat shops

Any good seller will offer to exchange or buy back your rugs at any later date, good rugs appreciate in value and are traditionally seen as both art work and a safe place to park some money for hard times.

Dont knock the guys who come round your door with rugs, some have a load of crap where as some will have some very nice pieces, these guys are usually very negotiable but it may take a few days or many many hours of negotiation to settle on a price. It is quite common for them to leave you a few rugs for a few days to weeks to see how they fit in your home and whether you like them.

For a place with heavy foot traffic buy wool as silk will wear really badly in these places.
Remember that good rugs can take several people several months or years to hand weave and this is reflected in the price, however it is highly unlikely that you will lose money by buying good and that its more than likely that your grand children will enjoy it long after your death.

For a shock ask a dealer to see his antique or war carpets, many are stunning but can easily be a few hundred thousand
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:47 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by shiva
yes loads, just dont buy in Mall of the Emirates, Souk Madinat etc as you'll most likely pay way way over the odds for a piece of crap, unless its very clear that your clued up.

do your research, most of the guys selling here are more than happy to explain all about the rugs where the pattern is from where they were woven etc. After a while and asking loads of different guys you'll start to get an idea of starting prices.Its all about the knot count threads and location

Top Tip, very good rugs are eye wateringly expensive, easily into the 10's of thousands, very high knot count
good rugs arent cheap, medium knot count
cheap rugs are cheap and wont last. low knot count obviously made by indian, pakistani or chinese sweat shops

Any good seller will offer to exchange or buy back your rugs at any later date, good rugs appreciate in value and are traditionally seen as both art work and a safe place to park some money for hard times.

Dont knock the guys who come round your door with rugs, some have a load of crap where as some will have some very nice pieces, these guys are usually very negotiable but it may take a few days or many many hours of negotiation to settle on a price. It is quite common for them to leave you a few rugs for a few days to weeks to see how they fit in your home and whether you like them.

For a place with heavy foot traffic buy wool as silk will wear really badly in these places.
Remember that good rugs can take several people several months or years to hand weave and this is reflected in the price, however it is highly unlikely that you will lose money by buying good and that its more than likely that your grand children will enjoy it long after your death.

For a shock ask a dealer to see his antique or war carpets, many are stunning but can easily be a few hundred thousand
I think I'd like one of these rugs actually. Even if it doesn't fly.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:50 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

we have a guy that comes to our house every month...when we first moved here I was sort of ambushed by him, he was in the house in a flash, rolling out carpets like a mad thing...it was quite scary, I had only been here a week or so...and he's been coming back every since...I just send one of the kids to answer the door...I am a coward...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'd like one of these rugs actually. Even if it doesn't fly.
What if Santiago takes a liking to it!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:49 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by jvr20
What if Santiago takes a liking to it!
oh he will, just like my new big house plants he's been eating and pulling over when we've been at work...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Shiva. good reply. I've seen ok wool carpets of 1.4x2.4m at 1,500dhs, and "silk"!? carpets of 1.0x2.0m for 13,000dhs and everything in between, I may end up going for some cheapies so if I get ripped off I won't be too worried. I'd really like a nice silk carpet but I don't know enough about them and they are expensive and a bit too much of a gamble. I'm not sure if they would be too keen on me burning it to do the "smells like burned hair" test!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.