Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

People start hating their jobs at age 35

People start hating their jobs at age 35

Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People start hating their jobs at age 35

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
6 months to go for me, stopping work at the end of this tax-year when my current contract ends, age 52. Salted enough away to be financially independent in retirement: Savings>SIPP>Work Pensions>State Pension.

Quite liked my chosen career, but never liked being managed. Might study something that I am interested in, or do the odd bit of contract work if I fancy.
Ditto, except probably 2 years and a tad () older.

Study: perhaps go back to uni full time and do a masters, probably Renewable Energy.
Contract work: definitely -- to keep my mind active, and for pin money (mainly for two-wheeled and four-wheeled expenditure). Holidays already built into the basic calcs, but upgrades from pin money sounds like a plan.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I just started to hate work at 35, I was looking forward to retirement. I don't think it was the particular job. After 15-20 years of school I was ready to leave. After 15-20 years of working, I need a change.
Then change... I started to get bored and grumpy around then - totally changed the sector I worked in and it was like starting out all over again. Will do the same in another 10 years
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Then change... I started to get bored and grumpy around then - totally changed the sector I worked in and it was like starting out all over again. Will do the same in another 10 years
Precisely. I've fulfilled basically the same function throughout my career (except for a 3 1/2 year stint, which was still about 50% of my basic function) within the "built environment", but in varied sectors. Changing from one sector to another made huge differences, but I was still deploying my same basic skills, training and experience.

Not only does a sector change result in different projects / products / services, but it also usually results in colleagues (and clients and a supply chain) from different backgrounds and with different outlooks, which then totally transforms your working environment and the processes in which you're involved.

The sectors I've worked in have ranged from underpinning (with an army of squat Paddies manually digging under house foundations), through installing security systems in places I'm not allowed to mention, to building sulphuric acid plants in Iraq. Same basic skills from me, wildly different environments.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
and for pin money (mainly for two-wheeled and four-wheeled expenditure). .
you could probably swap wheels for legs in this sentence too.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:11 am
Hit 16's

you could probably swap wheels for legs in this sentence too.
Beast.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beast.
Well, I was thinking of dogs, horses and hunting.

Wouldn't recommend bareback riding with the two legged investments.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Same basic skills from me, wildly different environments.
I'd like to change sectors one day.
Difficulty is I actually really enjoy this sector and the types of people (mostly) and being involved in projects from the start, albeit from a different perspective (take Expo - If I ride it out, I'll be one of about 4 from us who have been there from the start).

That being said, Construction attitudes towards so many things / areas can be just totally backwards, archaic, old fashioned and painful at times. Very much an old boys network and the negatives are multiplied by this region.

I wouldn't mind working in a tech / start up type environment. Or somewhere less 'stuffy'. Hard to describe, maybe just an industry that's better at not trying to crush every ounce out of every soul, that invests in it's people and sees modern ways of working and ideas as positives not negatives.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I like what I do. I can't see myself changing profession after achieving all these qualifications. I like my firm. I just don't like the current location.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Hard to describe, maybe just an industry that's better at not trying to crush every ounce out of every soul, that invests in it's people and sees modern ways of working and ideas as positives not negatives.
Those industries probably don't source their people via recruitment agents though...
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Those industries probably don't source their people via recruitment agents though...
Alright, I'll bite, it's Thursday and nearly lunchtime.

What I do now isn't just volume paper pushing. It's very low volume compared to many in this sector, it's filling specific roles that aren't going to be just anyone and need to fit in different, intangible ways. Thin cultural, attitude, personality, behavioural, intelligence.
Yes, some are easy, square peg square hole type hires, but many are about the 'fit'.
Any business worth working for will think along those lines for some / all / most hires. Even more so 'those industries'. They sell themselves based on their culture, environment, values etc.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

For some people the change of job every 10 years or so is not their choice. There is a constant round of layoffs in some sectors. Several old work colleagues have been laid off around the 55-60 age.

Last edited by mrken30; Aug 24th 2017 at 3:05 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:00 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
For some people the change of job every 10 years or so is not their choice. There is a constant round of layoffs in some sectors. Several old work colleagues have been laid off around the 55-60 age.
I've changed employers 7 times in a 30 year career, and in hindsight I should have changed more often. With one of those employers, I worked for 13 different General Managers, each lasting an average of 8 months in post!

Rule Number 1: There is no sentiment in business. Rule Number 2: See Rule Number 1.

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Aug 24th 2017 at 6:08 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 9:05 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely. I've fulfilled basically the same function throughout my career (except for a 3 1/2 year stint, which was still about 50% of my basic function) within the "built environment", but in varied sectors. Changing from one sector to another made huge differences, but I was still deploying my same basic skills, training and experience.

Not only does a sector change result in different projects / products / services, but it also usually results in colleagues (and clients and a supply chain) from different backgrounds and with different outlooks, which then totally transforms your working environment and the processes in which you're involved.

The sectors I've worked in have ranged from underpinning (with an army of squat Paddies manually digging under house foundations), through installing security systems in places I'm not allowed to mention, to building sulphuric acid plants in Iraq. Same basic skills from me, wildly different environments.
That's the best thing about our profession. It does give you the chance to work in different disciplines and in lots of locations. I just wish some employers would get this. I hate seeing JDs specifying "15 years minimum in oil and gas/highways/goat snogging", whatever it is. Our skills are transferable. The technical stuff can be picked up or advised on by...you know...technical people like Engineers!
Old Aug 25th 2017, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
I've changed employers 7 times in a 30 year career, and in hindsight I should have changed more often. With one of those employers, I worked for 13 different General Managers, each lasting an average of 8 months in post!

Rule Number 1: There is no sentiment in business. Rule Number 2: See Rule Number 1.
Average of 4 years per job is about right. I'm 7 years into this employer, quite a long stint for me - thankfully was able to totally change the job 2 years ago.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 10:15 am
Hit 16's

Average of 4 years per job is about right. I'm 7 years into this employer, quite a long stint for me - thankfully was able to totally change the job 2 years ago.
10 employers in nearly 40 years, with durations from 6 months to 11 years. Some I left of my own volition, some not...