British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   People start hating their jobs at age 35 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/people-start-hating-their-jobs-age-35-a-902357/)

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2017 7:54 am

People start hating their jobs at age 35

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...jobs-at-age-35

Well, I'm not totally sure about that. I don't hate mine, really like it in fact. I regularly get called by recruiters and tell them I'm not interested.

Bahtatboy Aug 23rd 2017 10:03 am

Re: People start hating their jobs at age 35

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12322535)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...jobs-at-age-35

Well, I'm not totally sure about that. I don't hate mine, really like it in fact. I regularly get called by recruiters and tell them I'm not interested.

I think I've always liked (sometimes loved) my job. I've certainly hated some colleagues and bosses -- and for very good reason -- but not the job itself. (Not that I'd recommend it, because the industry is harsh.) I don't recall any particular point or phase at or during which my view of my job changed, other than perhaps some wishful thinking that another career would have been more remunerative or in a gentler industry.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 23rd 2017 1:31 pm

6 years of lovin' to go. :thumbup:

Irishbeekeeper Aug 23rd 2017 2:44 pm

meh
serfs :D

littlejimmy Aug 23rd 2017 9:37 pm

I'd love to have a job to hate...

Dorothy Aug 24th 2017 1:53 am

Yay! I'm 35 again!

It sucks to really dislike the job you do. Unfortunately at age 54 it ain't easy to find a new one that pays as well as the one I have does with the same benefits. Only 10.5 more years of hating until I'm free.

Johnnyboy11 Aug 24th 2017 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12322738)
6 years of lovin' to go. :thumbup:

6 months to go for me, stopping work at the end of this tax-year when my current contract ends, age 52. Salted enough away to be financially independent in retirement: Savings>SIPP>Work Pensions>State Pension.

Quite liked my chosen career, but never liked being managed. Might study something that I am interested in, or do the odd bit of contract work if I fancy.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 24th 2017 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 12323243)
6 months to go for me, stopping work at the end of this tax-year when my current contract ends, age 52. Salted enough away to be financially independent in retirement: Savings>SIPP>Work Pensions>State Pension.

Quite liked my chosen career, but never liked being managed. Might study something that I am interested in, or do the odd bit of contract work if I fancy.

Congrats :thumbup:

When the old man retired at a similar age (51 or 53, I forget), he said the best thing he ever did was take his watch off.

jam25mack Aug 24th 2017 4:41 am

Looking to retire ASAP.....

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 24th 2017 5:06 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12323255)
Looking to retire ASAP.....

I'm retiring later today...to the pub.

mrken30 Aug 24th 2017 5:24 am

I just started to hate work at 35, I was looking forward to retirement. I don't think it was the particular job. After 15-20 years of school I was ready to leave. After 15-20 years of working, I need a change.

Miss Ann Thrope Aug 24th 2017 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12323221)
Yay! I'm 35 again!

It sucks to really dislike the job you do. Unfortunately at age 54 it ain't easy to find a new one that pays as well as the one I have does with the same benefits. Only 10.5 more years of hating until I'm free.

This; except for one slight difference: Only 10.5 more months of hating until I'm free.

Sorry if that sounds smug, but that's because I am!

Miss Ann Thrope Aug 24th 2017 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 12323243)

Actually exactly this (except more like 10 months)...

IKnowNothing Aug 24th 2017 6:07 am

I find it goes around in circles, maybe you hate your job at 35 cos you're working and doing stuff for someone else, but when you don't need to stay in the rat race anymore and money isn't your big driver in life, you can take a step back and be what you are, not what you became.

I did around 4 years ago, it's not been easy but i now get more enjoyment than I did when in the rat-race - even if the monetary rewards aren't frequent.

Millhouse Aug 24th 2017 6:47 am

Really hope to be done by around 55 (and could easily but only if the kids turn out to be thick).