Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Which is the better job?
Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I see that nobody has the balls to answer your question, me included. For what it's worth, my employers pay by two cheques now, although a few years ago it was four cheques. No discernible difference in the overall price other than the usual 3-5% annual uplift.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

BTW, on the rent front I reckon you can ask for discount for one cheque, got to be worth 10-15%

Depends on the LL, a mate just got a place for 75k in 4 cheques. Offered 2 cheques for 70 and the LL said no (they are a bank, they own the whole building).
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend just got screwed over big time after paying in 1 cheque. So much so he is sleeping in my living room for a couple of weeks. I'd pay in 4cheques for added security.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chris_m
My friend just got screwed over big time after paying in 1 cheque. So much so he is sleeping in my living room for a couple of weeks. I'd pay in 4cheques for added security.
Screwed how?
Old Jun 9th 2013, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Went to view the apartment in Sept last year. Was told if he paid in 1 cheque it would be 55k not 62k. So he said ok 2 weeks ago came home to find the locks changed.

Turned out the guy wasn't an agent but the current tennant. So 55k plus(which i find the best part excuse my humour).Security deposit and Agency fee's. Gone with the guy back to India or Pakistan!!!!!

Last edited by Chris_m; Jun 9th 2013 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Went to view the apartment in Sept last year. Was told if he paid in 1 cheque it would be 55k not 62k. So he said ok 2 weeks ago came home to find the locks changed.

Turned out the guy wasn't an agent but a previous tennant. So 55k plus(which i find the best part excuse my humour).Security deposit and Agency fee's. Gone with the guy back to India or Pakistan!!!!!
I ****ing hate devious thieves.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Wouldn’t this mean that your employer will be dealing directly with the LL, so that any sh1t the LL tries to pull when it comes to maintenance, repairs, renewing would be handled by your company? Also, if it’s a large enough company and the people dealing with the rentals have the right connections they might be able to get a better deal than you could.

Taking the hassle out of the equation’s got to be worth a few ‘000’s in itself.
THAT is the point. Having just gone through the hassle (partly by proxy) of terminating my lease early and having the flat handed back to the landlord, I would place considerable value on having my employer enter into the lease agreement, not me. And if I had to live in Abu Dhabi (where break clauses don't exist, in my experience) I would probably want some form of guarantee from my employer that in the event that I ceased to be employed other than of my own volition then they would be liable for any remaining rent payments. I was made redundant 3 days after signing a new lease agreement (in my own name, for an apartment in Dubai); there was a break clause in the agreement, and with a combination of my notice period and some leverage, I got paid for 6 months' rent--had that been in Abu Dhabi then I'd probably have been looking at a 6 months shortfall.

On the other hand I made roughly £10k pa on the difference between my accommodation allowance and what I actually paid. If I come back to the UAE I will, again, make sure that I'm protected if I have to rent in my own name.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:33 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Does anybody know on average how much a landlord would reduce the rent by if paying in 1 cheque instead of 4? Or - put the other way - how much the landlord would increase the rent if paying in 4 cheques instead of 1.

Thanks.
Where I am about 2k less for 2 cheques and 3 or 4 k less for one cheque.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:38 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Turned out the guy wasn't an agent but the current tennant. So 55k plus(which i find the best part excuse my humour).Security deposit and Agency fee's. Gone with the guy back to India or Pakistan!!!!!
Christ I'd be on a plane with a big gun looking for him...
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:04 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a certain book that's just been published...
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Christ I'd be on a plane with a big gun looking for him...
The thing that bothered me in it all, Someone has been paying his Dewa bill Since Sept. This mysterious Arab gentleman appears changes the locks and says pay us 35k and you can stay till Sept.

I don't blame Andy for moving out if am being honest!

And yeah if had been my cash, I'd be looking for the guy as well.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:29 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that bothered me in it all, Someone has been paying his Dewa bill Since Sept. This mysterious Arab gentleman appears changes the locks and says pay us 35k and you can stay till Sept.

I don't blame Andy for moving out if am being honest!

And yeah if had been my cash, I'd be looking for the guy as well.
all sounds a bit weird...when you rent a place you should ask for proof of ownership, like a sales agreement or a title deed, plus the passport copy of the landlord and make sure that the names on those are the same. Plus that should also be the same name you make the cheques out to (apart from the agency fee). If they ask for the cheques to be made out to someone else, they should have a letter from the Dubai courts which states that so and so is authorised to receive payments. I am guessing your friend didn't ask for any of those documents. He won't have been able to connect to Dewa, as he would have needed the proof of ownership etc. so the guy who paid the Dewa is probably the landlord, as you cannot open a Dewa account as a tenant with an outstanding bill from the previous tenant.
When you buy a car, you would make sure that the guy selling it actually owns it, right? So maybe also do that when you rent a property.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Does anybody know on average how much a landlord would reduce the rent by if paying in 1 cheque instead of 4? Or - put the other way - how much the landlord would increase the rent if paying in 4 cheques instead of 1.

Thanks.
in auh it doesnt matter same price 1 or 20 million cheques.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

but if you have a rental contract for x amount it doesnt matter if you pay in 1 or 10 you still have to pay x amount so says the law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.