British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/paying-rent-1-4-cheques-799555/)

LaLaLayla Jun 9th 2013 8:43 am

Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Does anybody know on average how much a landlord would reduce the rent by if paying in 1 cheque instead of 4? Or - put the other way - how much the landlord would increase the rent if paying in 4 cheques instead of 1.

Thanks.

Meow Jun 9th 2013 8:44 am

Re: Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

As much they want to. No law about that.

kittycat1 Jun 9th 2013 8:49 am

according to mine absolutely zero.

LaLaLayla Jun 9th 2013 8:54 am

I know you used to see this a lot:

1 cheque AED x
4 cheques AED x.

I think there was about AED 10 k difference per year and wondered if things had changed.

Millhouse Jun 9th 2013 9:04 am

it's a straight negotiation.

LaLaLayla Jun 9th 2013 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10748018)
it's a straight negotiation.

Sure. But if you were tyring to decide between 2 jobs, what value could you place on having your rent paid in 1 cheque as opposed to paying it yourself in 4 cheques?

Millhouse Jun 9th 2013 9:14 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10748019)
Sure. But if you were tyring to decide between 2 jobs, what value could you place on having your rent paid in 1 cheque as opposed to paying it yourself in 4 cheques?

in my case, not much.

LaLaLayla Jun 9th 2013 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10748024)
in my case, not much.

So, perhaps having your rent paid (then taken monthly out of your salary) is not just a fantastic perk after all?

Millhouse Jun 9th 2013 9:20 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10748025)
So, perhaps having your rent paid (then taken monthly out of your salary) is not just a fantastic perk after all?

well, it was very helpful in the first year. To be honest, now it isn't so much of a benefit as I planned accordingly for the more lumpy expense.

it only becomes valuable if you need the advancement of cash. IF not, then its basically only worth any income you may receive on investing the difference for the short period of time (or the cost of a loan if you didn't have it). Which is next to nothing.

LaLaLayla Jun 9th 2013 9:25 am

I think the assumption is that you would not otherwise be able to pay in 1 cheque.

Millhouse Jun 9th 2013 9:27 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10748030)
I think the assumption is that you would not otherwise be able to pay in 1 cheque.

are the offers really so close that this is the deciding factor?

LaLaLayla Jun 9th 2013 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10748031)
are the offers really so close that this is the deciding factor?

Yes, really close. There are also other things to factor in like shorter working hours and being able to go to the gym... so hard.

the_red_sheep Jun 9th 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10748025)

Wouldn’t this mean that your employer will be dealing directly with the LL, so that any sh1t the LL tries to pull when it comes to maintenance, repairs, renewing would be handled by your company? Also, if it’s a large enough company and the people dealing with the rentals have the right connections they might be able to get a better deal than you could.

Taking the hassle out of the equation’s got to be worth a few ‘000’s in itself.

LaLaLayla Jun 9th 2013 9:33 am

[QUOTE=the_red_sheep;10748037]Wouldn’t this mean that your employer will be dealing directly with the LL, so that any sh1t the LL tries to pull when it comes to maintenance, repairs, renewing would be handled by your company?QUOTE]

No. Purely financial. You show them your Contract, they give you a cheque.

Millhouse Jun 9th 2013 10:04 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10748033)
Yes, really close. There are also other things to factor in like shorter working hours and being able to go to the gym... so hard.

Well these factors are much more important than a notional financial gain.