Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

Originally Posted by archie159
Nothing new there, then. I noticed on one of the related stories that 'Client was too French for obscene gesture'...which is a new cop-out if I ever heard one.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:44 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Nothing new there, then. I noticed on one of the related stories that 'Client was too French for obscene gesture'...which is a new cop-out if I ever heard one.
What, just being French sufficed?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
What, just being French sufficed?
Well, just been French is usually offensive enough on its own, what with all that Galliic 'Mais non!' honking....
Old Jun 21st 2014, 5:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

Dashcams? Got to be some classic YouTube footage in there somewhere.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
Then there is a little thing called the real world.

I drive a little buzz box as my workday runabout and the amount of times I've been cut up is insane. Weekends I drive the 4wd and very rarely get the same attention. These "guys" are compensating for their lack of power/control/potency in some other part of their lives.

From the OP. I know what a "brake check" is, but what use is it to check your washers?
Its amazing that the risk of crashing into the back of your car wont make them back off but getting their windscreen wet will do.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

superscot69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Being the spoiled children who can do no wrong that they are (with a system that supports that)
That to me has to be the best summing up i have came across so far. Number of times i have had to just sit there and bite my tongue is unreal. Has to be some of the worst driving i have ever came across anywhere in the world, and yes they do it cause they know they get away with it. You dare not speak badly of a local or take the first flight home after yer month locked up that is.Until the police somehow clamp down on the locals lets scare the shit out of who ever they can games, its something you just have to put up with, I now go for the stare ahead ploy never look at them and just drive as they are not there, That they do not like
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 3:20 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superscot69
Has to be some of the worst driving i have ever came across anywhere in the world,
Try any large Italian town, like Naples. Here is nothing compared to those lunatics. They even sit honking their horn at the red traffic lights.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Naples was the most scared i have ever been in a car in my life. And I learnt to drive in Nairobi.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Just had an idiot tosspot in a patrol trying to speed me up between 800 m of lights. Did the windscreen clean and he managed to whp across 3 lanes then back, to be half a car bbehind me at the next lights. That car is so massive that the little hondas etc around would be crushed.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Everyday I get this. However, a few days back at night I had mad max actually force me across a lane and then off the road. Not a lot you can do with so many of the locals (probably 75%) owning (illegally) firearms.

Got brake checked twice yesterday by drivers who wanted to overtake me to turn right on a junction a bit too close ahead but couldn't. They all want to overtake and cut in front, rather than laying off the accelerator and pulling in behind to turn off.

When you're having thoughts of clipping the side of their boot and watching them spin off and/or roll you know you have to start leaving space for the twonks to weave across from fast lane to junction exit to get the blood pressure down.

Doesn't help that with the police ticketing loads of them for blacked out windows that they've started smearing what looks like grease on the inside of their rear windows for "privacy" such that they're unable to use their rear view mirror. Those in Hyundai Accents are particularly bad for cutting in after overtaking due to their wingmirrors appearing to show those they've overtaken as a lot further behind them.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 9:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Beakersful

Got brake checked twice yesterday by drivers who wanted to overtake me to turn right on a junction a bit too close ahead but couldn't. They all want to overtake and cut in front, rather than laying off the accelerator and pulling in behind to turn off.

When you're having thoughts of clipping the side of their boot and watching them spin off and/or roll you know you have to start leaving space for the twonks to weave across from fast lane to junction exit to get the blood pressure down.

This. Everyone, cab drivers, white Mums, locals, half-wits of all types are guilty of wanting to get in front of the car in the way and off rather than waiting for them to come out to slip in behind. It's probably my most hated trait.

That and the ***** who push in for left turns at lights. I went speeding after one the other day only to see his toddler stood on the central arm rest. Some shit non local Arab. Gave him hell. Prick.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone driving on the unfinished highway between Batha crossing and Al Kharj noticed there is a growing number of truck drivers with hub ornaments attached that look like Mad Max scythes? (I was thinking the name because of what I've been seeing)

I don't know if these are made of plastic or metal, but I'm sure as hell unwilling to test them. Some of them stick out so far they'll probably carve up the bollards at police checkpoints, or take out the officers on them!