Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

Driving down Al Sufouh road last night when a Nissan patrol (you can guess the nationality of the driver) steams up behind me lights flashing. I was in the third lane a safe distance behind the car in front and with a car next to me in the 2nd lane.

used my washers and touch on the brake to get the idiot to back off from 1m behind my car. The idiot then swerves around the other cars into the 3rd lane breaks sharply and the stops trying to block my car. I drove around him and he tried to force my car off the road.

managed to get rid of him at the next turn off which was my exit anyway.

The Mrs was in the car a pretty terrified

can be sure that if i had called the plod i would have been the one in trouble

if he had been a different nationality i would have put his head through his windscreen!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:22 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Driving down Al Sufouh road last night when a Nissan patrol (you can guess the nationality of the driver) steams up behind me lights flashing. I was in the third lane a safe distance behind the car in front and with a car next to me in the 2nd lane.

used my washers and touch on the brake to get the idiot to back off from 1m behind my car. The idiot then swerves around the other cars into the 3rd lane breaks sharply and the stops trying to block my car. I drove around him and he tried to force my car off the road.

managed to get rid of him at the next turn off which was my exit anyway.

The Mrs was in the car a pretty terrified

can be sure that if i had called the plod i would have been the one in trouble

if he had been a different nationality i would have put his head through his windscreen!
Don't be so sure about the highlighted bit. I had a very similar experience recently except the twit actually drove into me so we had to stop and call the cops. I was expecting the worst, but in the end I didn't have to say a word the cop listened to the guy rant and then gave him the pink slip. Job done. Love the Dubai police.

BTW it wasn't a gold Patrol was it?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbo
Don't be so sure about the highlighted bit. I had a very similar experience recently except the twit actually drove into me so we had to stop and call the cops. I was expecting the worst, but in the end I didn't have to say a word the cop listened to the guy rant and then gave him the pink slip. Job done. Love the Dubai police.

BTW it wasn't a gold Patrol was it?
no oldish white one with 2 young guys in.
wasn't willing to take the risk on the highlighted bit. would have been different if they had actually caused a crash.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:51 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

If I were a woman I'd call the police. As a western man I'd not bother as you don't know how it will pan out.

Had a bad incident in MoE car park a while back where a Sharjah local cut us up (missus was driving). He then tried to open her car door at which point she grabbed me to stop me getting out. In hindsight it was the right thing for her to do as I would have stamped on his head then get locked up and deported.

You did the right thing.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I've not had any as serious as this but did piss myself once when I got cut up at a roundabout, beeped the horn, for him to then cut me up again to make me stamp on brakes as I was trying to exit. Basically cut me up once, didn't like that I had a go back with the horn so cut me up far more dangerously again.

Best bit was sitting right behind him at the lights smiling...only to see him have to do a U-Turn to go back the way he wanted to go! What a ****.

The mrs does have to restrain me though. I've had a few where I've considered getting out the car and going ****ing mental but it's just not worth it.

I once asked a guy why he parked blocking the entire car park to my building...I say asked, I just stood and clapped him as he finally came back to the car. He went ****ing mental and started pacing towards me. Obviously I stood firm and asked him what the issue was, I was just clapping what a stupendous bit of parking he'd done, single handedly causing carnage. He ranted and ranted and gave it big spuds, only for me to stay silent. 30seconds later I was offered a free haircut, got an apology and a handshake Bizarre.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar experience with a jockroach in the ranches.

I was driving along the outer perimeter road that is covered in speed bumps. Jockroach was in the road on his bike (no issues there). He had a baby trailer being towed behind the bike and we was weaving all over the place. It was dangerous.

As I over took him (slowly and safely) - I pointed to the pavement and suggested that it might be better if he goes there.

He went all lobster and flicked the bird. I stopped the car to see what his problem was.

He proceeded to throw his bike and trailer (no kid in the trailer just shopping but that could not be seen from behind) into the bushes and stood in the road banging his chest.

Poor lad, I just laughed at him. His shitbucket was clearly full.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I had a similar experience with a jockroach in the ranches.

I was driving along the outer perimeter road that is covered in speed bumps. Jockroach was in the road on his bike (no issues there). He had a baby trailer being towed behind the bike and we was weaving all over the place. It was dangerous.

As I over took him (slowly and safely) - I pointed to the pavement and suggested that it might be better if he goes there.

He went all lobster and flicked the bird. I stopped the car to see what his problem was.

He proceeded to throw his bike and trailer (no kid in the trailer just shopping but that could not be seen from behind) into the bushes and stood in the road banging his chest.

Poor lad, I just laughed at him. His shitbucket was clearly full.
The amount of times I've been overtaken by half wits on that bit of road after playing golf is unreal.

I stand by my assertion that amongst the worst are white mums in 4x4s
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:49 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
no oldish white one with 2 young guys in.
wasn't willing to take the risk on the highlighted bit. would have been different if they had actually caused a crash.
Do you think that anyone with real wasta would be driving that?

I refuse to let anyone intimidate me and if that happened I would call the police immediately and say I was being threatened. Perhaps a tad easier as a woman, but ****tards like that shouldn't be allowed to get away with their bully boy behaviour.

Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:11 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

ha! I am SO glad I dont drive here
keeps me from going to jail
but in all honesty after having driven for so many years in Pakistan, most stuff that happens here would be considered funny
I do agree however, as much as it would boil the blood knowing that you can probably take on 3 or 4 of these dress wearers at one time, to not to get into a physical situation whatsoever
One trick I learned a long time ago when you have to 'side' or 'brake-check' a human-dildo on the road, is to not look at him before, during or after at all, just keep staring dead ahead even after the act and act as if you didnt even know what just happened
trust me, it is SO much more satisfying that way
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

The driving standard in Qatar is piss poor, and the only way of taking the f**k-heads on was to drive a Land Cruiser. The level of stupidity was incredible, and if they were determined, they would try and force you off the road, but the main thing is, if they managed to do so, Qatari's would take off their sandals and try to smack you about the face with them ('Did you raise your fist? No...I waggled a smelly sandal at him' ) One of the reasons for my departure from Qatar was that, foolishly, I said 'Go on, hit me.' He did. I threw the arrogant liitle prat across the bonnet of my car. I left the country 9 hours later...Ho hum....
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:56 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I've had this in Oman. It is truly terrifying, both the act and the stupidity, and there is f'all you can do. As a woman it's even scarier when you are on own, as these stupid boy racers that do it here are known to rape women who are alone.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:20 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Do you think that anyone with real wasta would be driving that?

I refuse to let anyone intimidate me and if that happened I would call the police immediately and say I was being threatened. Perhaps a tad easier as a woman, but ****tards like that shouldn't be allowed to get away with their bully boy behaviour.

I don't think wasta really comes into play here. More down to the police who arrive and mood they are in, the time of the day, star sign etc...

A prime example of how it can go wrong:

Top British doctor arrested after raising hand at Dubai driver - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

We all like to say we'd call the police, but anyone who's been here a while knows the risks outweigh the moral high ground (unless someone has been hurt).
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:43 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

yup - moral high ground only works for me when I'm in a work situation, as we are completely covered with CCTV on our sites
and I have big enough metaphorical balls that I'm not scared of wastafarians
Old Jun 18th 2014, 4:13 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I don't think wasta really comes into play here. More down to the police who arrive and mood they are in, the time of the day, star sign etc...

We all like to say we'd call the police, but anyone who's been here a while knows the risks outweigh the moral high ground (unless someone has been hurt).
completely true on both accounts
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:58 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

had a cracker a good few years ago. Got cut up at a roundabout in knowledge village and hit the horn a few times then carried on. At the next roundabout the same twat deliberately cuts me up, I just carry on driving. Guy then proceeds to try run me off the road a few times while his mate hangs out the window waving a knife at me. Put the foot down so guy does the same, then slam on the brakes and take an exit to Al Khail road as he zooms past. Guy stops and both get out going mental and waving knives as i drive down the slip road.

Was actually pretty hairy at the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.