Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

From oil broker to property guru

From oil broker to property guru

Old Aug 23rd 2015, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold
Default From oil broker to property guru

Geezer is getting paid to tell tell folks what they already knew. Cant knock down his hustle (I guess its what Con sultants do everyday).

Must be a damn good software

“Having picked up that experience from going to Rera [Real Estate Regulatory Agency] a number of times and having different landlords who wanted to do different things, I came upon the idea that you could build something that will help people, that will be able to offer advice,” says Mr Young.

“From there I initially sketched out the idea and, over time, it has developed and evolved into what we have today.”

That is propertyrights.ae, a website designed to advise tenants and landlords in Dubai on their legal rights for a Dh100 fee.

Customers fill in a form, giving details such as their email address and information about their tenancy contract. Mr Young designed the process behind the system, which is fully automated.

“As soon as their details are in, it sits there on our database. I do nothing with those details unless they tell me something is incorrect – in which case I will go in and change it,” he says.

If tenants sign up when they take out their residency contract, they receive an email six months later setting out the maximum rent increase and maximum rent chargeable, as per Rera calculations.

With four months left on the contract they will receive another email explaining that they have 30 days left to be told of any rental increases or changes to the contract.

Once that period expires, they have 90 days left on their contract and it is no longer legal for a landlord to change any part of the contract, including the rental cost.

“A lot of people don’t know that and they don’t understand exactly how the rule works because there are all sorts of rules that have changed over the years that people get confused with. If someone goes looking for that information it takes time to find,” says Mr Young.

“If you want to find out all the relevant information with the laws there is a 30-page document that you can read. Our way of sending it out has that narrowed down to a page or a page and a half. The emails are timed to reach people, so they are aware of what can happen before they need to be.”

British expat’s Dubai rental woes turn him from oil broker to property guru | The National
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From oil broker to property guru

He's sold hundreds at 100dh a go.

Wow. He must have been really bad on the oil trading.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:59 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
He's sold hundreds at 100dh a go.

My thoughts exactly.
Plus this type of service would be oh so simple to replicate. I hope he didn't spend much to get it up and running.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Christ. Fair play to him, people are stupid and need hands held, he's solved (potentially) a problem for some folk.

Instantly, 'we' call him a ****.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:49 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Christ. Fair play to him, people are stupid and need hands held, he's solved (potentially) a problem for some folk.

Instantly, 'we' call him a ****.
I'm not calling him a small number of asterisks and I wish him all the best, but he needs a lot of customers before this starts generating substantial revenue....
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by norsk
I'm not calling him a small number of asterisks and I wish him all the best, but he needs a lot of customers before this starts generating substantial revenue....
I got fat by starting on small meals. **** it. I don't care enough if he does well or not, I wouldn't pay for information that I either know or can get free, easily.

This city is full of people who deserve to pay for things like this, because they're stupid ****tards.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 8:00 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Scamp
I got fat by starting on small meals. **** it. I don't care enough if he does well or not, I wouldn't pay for information that I either know or can get free, easily.

This city is full of people who deserve to pay for things like this, because they're stupid ****tards.
Haha..true! Actually I'm considering replicating his service. If I can build it in a weekend and put an hour or so into managing it a week I would be happy to service a few hundred customers. Obviously I would undercut him. It would pay for beer and peanuts..
Old Aug 25th 2015, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by norsk
Haha..true! Actually I'm considering replicating his service. If I can build it in a weekend and put an hour or so into managing it a week I would be happy to service a few hundred customers. Obviously I would undercut him. It would pay for beer and peanuts..
Do it, why not eh.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 8:18 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

really?...you are going to give him crap about oil trading?....really?
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
really?...you are going to give him crap about oil trading?....really?
I didn't say my oil trading was any better but I'm not yet planning on giving up the day job!
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:10 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

The way things are right now in the global market I think all of them should start giving up their day jobs ffs and stop wasting other peoples money!
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
The way things are right now in the global market I think all of them should start giving up their day jobs ffs and stop wasting other peoples money!
why don't people say that when the markets are going up?
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:38 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

why don't people say that when the markets are going up?
If you are a good broker with understanding of how markets work it is equally possible to make money when the market is falling as when it is going up..

I'm not that person though...Wayyyyy too boring!