NZ

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: NZ

Originally Posted by mission
been doing some more googling and it appears May-Jun is when their winter kicks in and temperatures in the south island rang from 1C to 12C - that's frigging cold lol
That is chilly. Well, someone here will have gone. Enjoy.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

10 days in the South Island is feasible but don't forget the jet lag. It's a long way from Dubai to New Zealand. I'd fly to Queenstown, and that either means DXB to Australia then Queenstown, or to Auckland then Queenstown.

Seemingly endless things to do around Queenstown. Wine country, trekking, outdoor activities, Glenorchy / Milford Sound tour. Good food in Queenstown. Worth it to hire a car to give you the flexibility to move around, so I'd also drive up to Wanaka and do a day's hiking at Mount Aspiring to see the glaciers peek over the mountain rims, then to Mount Cook. If you're dedicated, you can push further north and drive through Arthur's Pass and stop at Castle Hill (and don't forget to explore the Cave Stream, an underground stream through a long cave that's quite fun (and wet - you must also have a torch). After Arthur's Pass you will hit the West Coast and can drive down the coast to the glaciers, then back to Wanaka/Queenstown. It's a decent loop.

May and June will be cold and wet. Maybe head to the North Island instead?

South Africa may be a good alternative if you need to travel in the summer months?
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:02 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

been doing some more googling and it appears May-Jun is when their winter kicks in and temperatures in the south island rang from 1C to 12C - that's frigging cold lol
That's the early ski season in Queenstown. It is pretty far south in the southern hemisphere and high altitude..... Auckland and north to the Bay of Islands would be mild and wet. But the real adventure stuff, as you have gleaned, is in the south island where it will be winter at that time. So you could do winter-sports but I guess that may be expensive... I'd say your chances of meeting other people doing similar stuff is very high somewhere like Queenstown so an ideal solo destination. I would have thought their summer would be better though - I was there in Feb and it was lovely.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Probably getting home from work, dinner, getting the hamsters onto the wheel for electricity to run the internetty thing for the evening etc........ patience!!!!

No hamsters in New Zealand . Another reason I don't like it here.

As most others have suggested Mission, February/March is the best time to come to NZ. You can get some reasonably decent weather in late spring November/December but being a maritime climate anything could happen!!!!! We had a very wet winter and spring and the summer has been colder than normal. Who knows what Autumn will bring .

The south island is stunningly beautiful and there's quite a lot to do around Queenstown. We went on the luge, did the Shotover Jet, watched idiots bungy jumping (I don't see the point of it myself) Milford Sound is awe-inspiring.
There's quite a few things to do on the north island too, especially around Rotorua. Huka Jet, Zorbing, biking through the redwoods, blackwater rafting at Waitomo Caves, also abseiling there as well. See Kiwi, go to a Hangi, have a massage at the Polynesian Spa, visit Wai-o-Tapu for a spot of geo-thermal activity. Head to Matamata and Hobbiton if The Hobbit and LOTR is your thing (it isn't mine).
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

are there any NZ expats in this forum? I posted a thread in the NZ forum and no one's frigging responded lol
Ahem. Your thread went up around 8/9pm NZ time. We were all likely tuckered out from huntin', shootin', fushin' and in our beds getting our zzzzds.

Most people in my area are in their pits by 9.30pm.

Given the activities you are interested in , it would seem Queenstown South Island would be the place for you. You'll need to think well in advance for accom though as just about everyone wants to go there.

Best & most settled months are usually Feb/March . This is late summer into Autumn.

Oct/Dec can be variable and wet. Sometimes even very parky around the edges with snow.

Winter for us lot is July/Sept. Ski seasons kick off around July .

Christmas is summer but can be very variable and wet.
I see you are thinking of May/June. If that is South Island , then it will be getting parky by then. FWIW, me and him are looking to holiday offshore late June so we miss some of the wintery weather.

Nothing at all to stop you coming in May. Just bring the right clothes.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Might be expensive in June...The Lions tour is 3 June-8 July..
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pongo
Might be expensive in June...The Lions tour is 3 June-8 July..
True.
will be tough to get accom of any sort.