NYE Festivities

Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:05 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYE Festivities

Originally Posted by HELEN44
Yup, that's exactly where I'm headed - a pal has an apartment overlooking it all, so a great view from her balcony!! Have fun!!
Now that sounds great

Good views, good friends, champers chilling.

Enjoy!!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:23 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dinner at the local (the Bahtat) with friends, then back to friends' house to see the new year in. Normally we have a fairly quiet night in with just a few friends, so going out will be quite different.

SWMBO was proposing a traditional Japanese New Year--very quite NYE with just the family, early to bed, up early to see the sunrise (slim chance), then proceed to devour pre-prepared Japanese delicacies and sake over the next few days. Was good when we did it in Japan, maybe next year...
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:49 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Dinner at the local (the Bahtat) with friends, then back to friends' house to see the new year in. Normally we have a fairly quiet night in with just a few friends, so going out will be quite different.

SWMBO was proposing a traditional Japanese New Year--very quite NYE with just the family, early to bed, up early to see the sunrise (slim chance), then proceed to devour pre-prepared Japanese delicacies and sake over the next few days. Was good when we did it in Japan, maybe next year...
We stayed in in the end, I cooked herb crsuted rack of lamb, dauphonaise potatoes, brockley, carrots and asparagus and had a couple of beers then some champagne.

Up today, not a hangover in sight, off to the beach and also got tomorrow off so off to wild wadi with the missus.

Gerrin.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
We stayed in in the end, I cooked herb crsuted rack of lamb, dauphonaise potatoes, brockley, carrots and asparagus and had a couple of beers then some champagne.

Up today, not a hangover in sight, off to the beach and also got tomorrow off so off to wild wadi with the missus.

Gerrin.
my Mother lives at Brockley Whins
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

A bit like Kittycat I am no fan of NYE. I find it all a bit depressing and can't stand public events full of amateur partygoers under pressure to have a 'good time'. The last few years have been at house parties with friends, but as neither of us are feeling very well right now we stayed in for a change and had roast guinea fowl on lemon and mustard roast vegetables for dinner, followed by baked apricots on pannetone with clotted cream ice cream.

We could see both sets of Burj fireworks from our upstairs balconies.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:22 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
A bit like Kittycat I am no fan of NYE. I find it all a bit depressing and can't stand public events full of amateur partygoers under pressure to have a 'good time'. The last few years have been at house parties with friends, but as neither of us are feeling very well right now we stayed in for a change and had roast guinea fowl on lemon and mustard roast vegetables for dinner, followed by baked apricots on pannetone with clotted cream ice cream.

We could see both sets of Burj fireworks from our upstairs balconies.
we had a roast beef dinner and watched the telly, saw the fireworks from outside and I preferred the Burj Al Arab ones, but then I would
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

yummybrummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
we had a roast beef dinner and watched the telly, saw the fireworks from outside and I preferred the Burj Al Arab ones, but then I would
I agree with you BC. Burj Al Arab was much better than Khalifa
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:25 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by yummybrummy
I agree with you BC. Burj Al Arab was much better than Khalifa
more colourful
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:50 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy

Gerrin.
Sounds good
Old Jan 1st 2011, 1:55 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New Year one and all(that's you of course BPB) and to the rest of the MEddlers,may 2011 be the year for youxxx.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Eva
Happy New Year one and all(that's you of course BPB) and to the rest of the MEddlers,may 2011 be the year for youxxx.
You too Eva, have a gud 'un xx
Old Jan 1st 2011, 2:02 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yummybrummy
You too Eva, have a gud 'un xx

So far,so good girl& you?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Eva
So far,so good girl& you?
Ermm so so I guess thanks. Will see how things transpire.......
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Escaped rainy Jeddah for a long New Year's week-end in Dubai.

Agree with many of the posts above regarding overhyped NYE - but decided to venture out this year, which merely confirmed why it's best avoided.

Got the metro from Union Sqare to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa at 9pm with a friend. Whizzed past the traffic stuck on Sh. Zayed. However, serious congestion at the Dubai Mall metro station - I'm head and shoulders above the mainly Indians/Filipinos but still avery uncomfortable experience as everyone jostled through the turnstiles - if for any trivial reason a stampede had started, it could have turned out very nasty. The platform was barely clearing before the next train arrived.

Stroll round the mall and a bit of food - not my sort of thing really, but with good company so no matter.

Then outside sat on the pavement to watch the 'display'. Very spectacular, but also very brief and lacking in colour variety. I suppose the extent of a display is indicative of a places financial status - Dublin probably had a fellah waving a second hand sparkler about for a couple of minutes.

Decided to go to the metro station one up from Dubai Mall to avoid the crush - not the only ones heading that way. Then saw a taxi, got in and set off, but he didn't seem keen on going to Deira, and looking at the SZR traffic had to agree. Ended up nearer the desired metro station and bailed out agreeing nothing to pay for the short ride.

Big crush again at the metro - only letting 20 or so at a time through the turnstiles and on to the platforms. At least they were staying open. Eventually made it into an uncrowded train, which interestingly did not stop at Dubai Mall station on the way east - someone was obviously managing the situation.

Bottom line - it was the company I was with that made the evening, and that could have just as well been achieved with a meal and a few drinks at home.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:37 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Escaped rainy Jeddah for a long New Year's week-end in Dubai.

Agree with many of the posts above regarding overhyped NYE - but decided to venture out this year, which merely confirmed why it's best avoided.

Got the metro from Union Sqare to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa at 9pm with a friend. Whizzed past the traffic stuck on Sh. Zayed. However, serious congestion at the Dubai Mall metro station - I'm head and shoulders above the mainly Indians/Filipinos but still avery uncomfortable experience as everyone jostled through the turnstiles - if for any trivial reason a stampede had started, it could have turned out very nasty. The platform was barely clearing before the next train arrived.

Stroll round the mall and a bit of food - not my sort of thing really, but with good company so no matter.

Then outside sat on the pavement to watch the 'display'. Very spectacular, but also very brief and lacking in colour variety. I suppose the extent of a display is indicative of a places financial status - Dublin probably had a fellah waving a second hand sparkler about for a couple of minutes.

Decided to go to the metro station one up from Dubai Mall to avoid the crush - not the only ones heading that way. Then saw a taxi, got in and set off, but he didn't seem keen on going to Deira, and looking at the SZR traffic had to agree. Ended up nearer the desired metro station and bailed out agreeing nothing to pay for the short ride.

Big crush again at the metro - only letting 20 or so at a time through the turnstiles and on to the platforms. At least they were staying open. Eventually made it into an uncrowded train, which interestingly did not stop at Dubai Mall station on the way east - someone was obviously managing the situation.

Bottom line - it was the company I was with that made the evening, and that could have just as well been achieved with a meal and a few drinks at home.
So how long did it take for you to get home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.