'no Indians'

Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'no Indians'

Unlike the UAE, t's actually illegal in Australia to be discriminatory in ANY way when advertising jobs. You cannot discriminate against race, religion, gender or disability. A large company like Coles wouldn't deliberately place an ad like that as they know they'd be paying out for the breach. I wonder how many of you that constantly pay out on Australians being racist have actually been here and lived in a decent suburb for longer than a week. Expats quite often behave quite differently than the majority of their countrymen do at home. And British expats that come to live here often live in areas that most normal Australians wouldn't choose to live - equivalent to me going to live in a Manchester or Brummy housing estate and then judging all Brits on the behaviour of those locals.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
There was a similar story in Australia a few years back - a guy phoned his local paper to place an ad to sell his house, and included the words 'No Asians'.

Uproar. Demonstrators outside his house, MP condemning him in Parliament, etc.......

Then a local TV crew turned up to interview him, and asked why he had said 'No Asians'. 'I don't like them' he replied, 'they don't do any work, and the fees they charge for selling your house are extortionate........'.
see post #13
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Unlike the UAE, t's actually illegal in Australia to be discriminatory in ANY way when advertising jobs. You cannot discriminate against race, religion, gender or disability. A large company like Coles wouldn't deliberately place an ad like that as they know they'd be paying out for the breach. I wonder how many of you that constantly pay out on Australians being racist have actually been here and lived in a decent suburb for longer than a week. Expats quite often behave quite differently than the majority of their countrymen do at home. And British expats that come to live here often live in areas that most normal Australians wouldn't choose to live - equivalent to me going to live in a Manchester or Brummy housing estate and then judging all Brits on the behaviour of those locals.
I have been there and am Australian and find the casual racism such of a bygone era in the UK (where, admittedly, I was a London chick). I thought talk Radio stations were especially horrific.

as an aside, the first time I took an Australian girlfriend to Brixton she was terrified.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
see post #13
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:42 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'm not going to comment on your comment - except I will
Dang you've got me there...now the entire argument collapses because it as well no doubt

N.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:12 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Not really Norm, it is well known that jolly racism is ingrained in Australian culture.

But yes, I do agree with you - what you see in job adverts here is truly shocking.
I work with a number of them and a lot are happy with casual racism but it is mostly just tasteless jokes rather than actual discrimination (but jokes that can and do hurt feelings, sometimes a lot). You'd need to be thick skinned to deal with them on a daily basis - they will find teeth on a hen if there's a joke at someone else's expense.

N.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kim67
I wonder how many of you that constantly pay out on Australians being racist have actually been here and lived in a decent suburb for longer than a week.
I have, they are.