Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:05 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

Originally Posted by The Dean
I always thought I kept up to date (well, reasonably) with music developments, but I'm not familiar with a number of these.

Leaving aside the moot point about whether the decade started in 2000 or 2001, there's still plenty to enjoy however.

And................ if 'Asleep In The Back' is better than 'The Seldom Seen Kid', it's going straight onto my Christmas list.

NME's top 50 albums of the decade
1. The Strokes - Is This It
2. The Libertines - Up the Bracket
3. Primal Scream - xtrmntr
4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
6. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
7. Arcade Fire - Funeral
8. Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material
10. Radiohead - In Rainbows
11. At The Drive In - Relationship of Command
12. LCD Soundsystem - The Sound of Silver
13. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
14. Radiohead - Kid A
15. Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
16. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
17. Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
18. The White Stripes - Elephant
19. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
20. Blur - Think Tank
21. The Coral - The Coral
22. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
23. Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future
24. The Libertines - The Libertines
25. Rapture - Echoes
26. Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner
27. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
28. Johnny Cash - Man Comes Around
29. Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World
30. Elbow - Asleep In the Back
31. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
32. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
33. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
34. Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
35. Babyshambles - Down in Albion
36. Spirtualized - Let It Come Down
37. The Knife - Silent Shout
38. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
39. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
40. Ryan Adams - Gold
41. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
42. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
43. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
44. Outkast - Loveboxxx/The Love Below
45. Avalanches - Since I Left You
46. Delgados - The Great Eastern
47. Brendan Benson - Lapalco
48. Walkmen - Bows and Arrows
49. Muse - Absolution
50. MIA - Arular
I've not heard of any of these ! No wonder I can't get pop music questions at the quiz.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:24 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Muse at 49?! Sorry - try again.

This is a "how-cool-am-I" list. Perhaps we should make our own poll in the Lounge? :-)

This is a list that is meant to cover all genres - but I think it's a better list in general. There's some overlap with the NME list - and some surprises.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...important.html

Last edited by snowbunny; Nov 20th 2009 at 2:31 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
OK, done it again and the came in at 43,844 - much more representative I think

woaaahhh - just clicked that link... can feel my mullett growing already, a truly dreadful collection !
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
woaaahhh - just clicked that link... can feel my mullett growing already, a truly dreadful collection !
The NME one is for the yoof and the rock/pop set.

Say what you like about Muse, they are fantastic live and Matt Bellamy is one of the most gifted performers and writers of his generation. He's also revived the time-old tradition of skewering politicians. If you only care about the music, Muse has the tightest, biggest-sounding three piece out there. If you care about lyrics, then Muse are much more relevant than most of the list.

Last edited by snowbunny; Nov 20th 2009 at 8:35 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

The NME one is for the yoof and the rock/pop set.

Say what you like about Muse, they are fantastic live and Matt Bellamy is one of the most gifted performers and writers of his generation. He's also revived the time-old tradition of skewering politicians. If you only care about the music, Muse has the tightest, biggest-sounding three piece out there. If you care about lyrics, then Muse are much more relevant than most of the list.
but that's your opinion, I love music and I think they're shit. Wouldn't life be dull if we all thought the same ?

This morning I'm mostly listening to Broadcast and The XX
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely some real glaring omission from both lists for me, such as any of Biffy Clyro's albums, Belle and Sebastian's Dear Catastrophe Waitress, Deadmau5 - Random Album Title, Mystery Jets - Making Dens, MGMT - Oracular Spectacular, UNKLE - Never Never Land and from this year Florence and the Machine - Lungs.

Still, each to there own...
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:51 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx
Definitely some real glaring omission from both lists for me, such as any of Biffy Clyro's albums, Belle and Sebastian's Dear Catastrophe Waitress, Deadmau5 - Random Album Title, Mystery Jets - Making Dens, MGMT - Oracular Spectacular, UNKLE - Never Never Land and from this year Florence and the Machine - Lungs.
Mon the Biffy!

I'm NOT a U2 fan, but _Vertigo_ is curiously absent. A real change of form for them.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

This is a "how-cool-am-I" list. Perhaps we should make our own poll in the Lounge? :-)

This is a list that is meant to cover all genres - but I think it's a better list in general. There's some overlap with the NME list - and some surprises.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...important.html

It's exactly that.

-
Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
It's exactly that.

-
Mmm....don't know about that. Its actually a really good list, but as before - a slightly britcentric listing, with a few notable absences.

There are a few albums out there that probably outsold dozens of albums on this list, but the purpose of the list is to highlight quality, interesting, genre defining albums. I'm sure fans of U2, Coldplay, Beyonce, ect could feel that albums by these artist should appear on the list, but none of them have produced really great works(caveat - this decade), just popular.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

And here comes The Times's Top 100.................. Madonna, Britney, Girls Aloud...... only joking............. or am I?

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6922991.ece
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:45 am