Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

I always thought I kept up to date (well, reasonably) with music developments, but I'm not familiar with a number of these.

Leaving aside the moot point about whether the decade started in 2000 or 2001, there's still plenty to enjoy however.

And................ if 'Asleep In The Back' is better than 'The Seldom Seen Kid', it's going straight onto my Christmas list.

NME's top 50 albums of the decade
1. The Strokes - Is This It
2. The Libertines - Up the Bracket
3. Primal Scream - xtrmntr
4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
6. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
7. Arcade Fire - Funeral
8. Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material
10. Radiohead - In Rainbows
11. At The Drive In - Relationship of Command
12. LCD Soundsystem - The Sound of Silver
13. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
14. Radiohead - Kid A
15. Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
16. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
17. Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
18. The White Stripes - Elephant
19. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
20. Blur - Think Tank
21. The Coral - The Coral
22. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
23. Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future
24. The Libertines - The Libertines
25. Rapture - Echoes
26. Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner
27. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
28. Johnny Cash - Man Comes Around
29. Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World
30. Elbow - Asleep In the Back
31. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
32. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
33. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
34. Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
35. Babyshambles - Down in Albion
36. Spirtualized - Let It Come Down
37. The Knife - Silent Shout
38. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
39. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
40. Ryan Adams - Gold
41. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
42. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
43. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
44. Outkast - Loveboxxx/The Love Below
45. Avalanches - Since I Left You
46. Delgados - The Great Eastern
47. Brendan Benson - Lapalco
48. Walkmen - Bows and Arrows
49. Muse - Absolution
50. MIA - Arular
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NME's Top 50 Albums of the Decade

is this it is a great album, but not sure it's the album of the decade...no killers (hot fuss?) in there which is a bit odd...

err...and i don't spot any mozza either, lol...

MM, xx
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
is this it is a great album, but not sure it's the album of the decade...no killers (hot fuss?) in there which is a bit odd...

err...and i don't spot any mozza either, lol...

MM, xx
Two Libertines and a Babyshambles.............. you just can't keep a good man down...........

Last edited by The Dean; Nov 19th 2009 at 2:37 am. Reason: a
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:50 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice

Dizzee Rascal??? Amy Winehouse??? Outkast??? Bloody hell, I have lost all respect for NME. Seriously, where are ANY of the Kings of Leon albums?? Muse at number 49?? And how has The Streets got two entries???!!! So many other artists missing, they have got this seriously wrong. Impossible to be objective for sure... Terrible selection (albeit Jack White and Radiohead got two entries) and so many other worthy entrants. Boo hiss NME!! Wonder if Q magazine and Kerrang have done the same - must check... Cheers The Dean for posting - food for thought...
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:43 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daniel Marsden
Dizzee Rascal??? Amy Winehouse??? Outkast??? Bloody hell, I have lost all respect for NME. Seriously, where are ANY of the Kings of Leon albums?? Muse at number 49?? And how has The Streets got two entries???!!! So many other artists missing, they have got this seriously wrong. Impossible to be objective for sure... Terrible selection (albeit Jack White and Radiohead got two entries) and so many other worthy entrants. Boo hiss NME!! Wonder if Q magazine and Kerrang have done the same - must check... Cheers The Dean for posting - food for thought...
Uncut had The White Stripes as the top album of the decade - better list too... probably more to the Bored's taste too...

In reverse order (for some reason) Here's the top 20:

20 Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
19 Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
18 Kate Bush - Aerial
17 The White Stripes - Elephant
16 LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
15 Radiohead - In Rainbows
14 Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
13 Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)
12 Portishead - Third
11 The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
10 Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
09 Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
08 Bob Dylan - Modern Times
07 Arcade Fire - Funeral
06 Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
05 The Strokes - Is This It
04 Brian Wilson - Smile
03 Wilco - A Ghost is Born
02 Bob Dylan - 'Love and Theft'
01 The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/white-...s-best-/33402/
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

I got to 21 before there was something not on my iPod. A few notable omissions I thought, but a pretty good list.

These things are always very subjective and NME is pretty skewed towards English musicians, so the absence of The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi battles the pink robots, and Nick Cave's Abbottoir Blues is not suprising, but the absence of Burial's Untrue is odd.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:03 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
I got to 21 before there was something not on my iPod. A few notable omissions I thought, but a pretty good list.

These things are always very subjective and NME is pretty skewed towards English musicians, so the absence of The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi battles the pink robots, and Nick Cave's Abbottoir Blues is not surprising, but the absence of Burial's Untrue is odd.
True, true... Burial should be in there. No Stereophonics, Kaiser Chiefs, Killers (as noted by MM), Franz Ferdinand...

Pleased to see The Avalanches were not forgotten.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:03 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough they claim to like british bands (as someone else mentioned), but they really need to stop smoking whatever it is they've got their hands on...

Muse at number 49? To be honest that says it all...

Where are all the groundbreaking british bands if they like british rock so much? Kasabian, Snow Patrol, Kaiser Chiefs, Stereophonics, Scouting for Girls, Fratellis, Franz Ferdinand...the list goes on and on...

Oh and they fit Jay-Z in the list. Jay-Z????!!!

Last edited by norsk; Nov 19th 2009 at 3:00 pm. Reason: left out sort of a critical word... (stop) :-)
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Fair enough they claim to like british bands (as someone else mentioned), but they really need to smoking whatever it is they've got their hands on...

too right, dull shite should be nowhere near the top 50

nee Editors is a surprise
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Uncut had The White Stripes as the top album of the decade - better list too... probably more to the Bored's taste too...

In reverse order (for some reason) Here's the top 20:

20 Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
19 Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
18 Kate Bush - Aerial
17 The White Stripes - Elephant
16 LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
15 Radiohead - In Rainbows
14 Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
13 Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)
12 Portishead - Third
11 The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
10 Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
09 Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
08 Bob Dylan - Modern Times
07 Arcade Fire - Funeral
06 Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
05 The Strokes - Is This It
04 Brian Wilson - Smile
03 Wilco - A Ghost is Born
02 Bob Dylan - 'Love and Theft'
01 The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/white-...s-best-/33402/
Agree - that's a better list. At least they remembered 'Modern Times' which I rate above 'Love and Theft'.

Sad to see the ludicrously overrated Amy Whorehouse in both lists though.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear - I feel so old! I used to be an NME fan (20 years ago).

I have many songs by many of these artists, but have not been so brave or wanton as to download a whole album!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:01 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Agree - that's a better list. At least they remembered 'Modern Times' which I rate above 'Love and Theft'.

Sad to see the ludicrously overrated Amy Whorehouse in both lists though.
'back to black', despite her being fully turbo mental, is a fûcking fantastic album.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:05 pm
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice

Originally Posted by norsk
Fair enough they claim to like british bands (as someone else mentioned), but they really need to stop smoking whatever it is they've got their hands on...

Where are all the groundbreaking british bands if they like british rock so much? Kasabian, Snow Patrol, Kaiser Chiefs, Stereophonics, Scouting for Girls, Fratellis, Franz Ferdinand...the list goes on and on...

Oh and they fit Jay-Z in the list. Jay-Z????!!!
Spot on norsk...
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
'back to black', despite her being fully turbo mental, is a fûcking fantastic album.
yeah, it is amazing...

MM, xx
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:53 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen the beehive lady in action in Camden a couple of times, and both times people would stop and stare and even laugh at her. She even kind of acts up due to the audience.

Her music is awesome although I wonder if she could still pull it off. Her tour last year didn't go that well..in fact I think it could be called a disaster..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.