Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
why? thousands of people don't get accommodation provided (myself included). Just make sure they pay you enough and it makes bugger all difference.
apart from your apartment/villa will be in your name so if they give you the boot then you still have to pay the rent. It can go the other way as well though, we have experienced both.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
apart from your apartment/villa will be in your name so if they give you the boot then you still have to pay the rent. It can go the other way as well though, we have experienced both.
Or if you get the boot you are homeless and jobless. I'd rather use savings to pay some rent and sort each problem out one at a time...
Old Feb 10th 2011, 3:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Or if you get the boot you are homeless and jobless. I'd rather use savings to pay some rent and sort each problem out one at a time...
which is what we did a couple of years ago
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

sushiholic is an unknown quantity at this point

waiting for a final offer from Saudi Aramco. sounds like Raj Tanura. Bachelor first then wife and kids to follow. Originally from Denmark, but have been in Southern California 20 years.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:52 am
Just Joined

azzy100 is just really niceazzy100 is just really niceazzy100 is just really niceazzy100 is just really niceazzy100 is just really niceazzy100 is just really niceazzy100 is just really niceazzy100 is just really nice

I wouldn't trust them with a bargepole!
Thanx every1.

Could do with making friends here in dubai.Could you let me know the best places to go to meet new people?

What do most expats do in dubai for leisure?
I like to play and watch football,golf,cricket,and badminton.

Appreciate your comments on Globaleye,but i think most of the companies who are in the business of Financial advice are the same.They all make money from us no matter who they are.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by azzy100
Thanx every1.

Could do with making friends here in dubai.Could you let me know the best places to go to meet new people?

What do most expats do in dubai for leisure?
I like to play and watch football,golf,cricket,and badminton.

Appreciate your comments on Globaleye,but i think most of the companies who are in the business of Financial advice are the same.They all make money from us no matter who they are.
Have your tin hat ready when Meow reads that.............
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:15 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Have your tin hat ready when Meow reads that.............
Well of course a business wants to make money. We aren't charities

There is however, a difference in the way that some operate. And some IFAs are jolly nice people too!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:28 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

well yes, but you would think they would provide somewhere for the first month until you get on feet. I keep forgetting we are on a featherbed package
Did someone mention 'feather-bed'?????
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
You're alive! Where have you been?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 5:25 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
welcome back
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Hello everyone,

Moving from Edinburgh to Dubai in March with family (wife & 2 kids). After 5 great years at the Bank (currently/soon to be ex Snr. Finance Systems Manager@Bank of Scotland) thought I’d take a few years career break and head out to somewhere drier and warmer.

Presumably, Dubai has somewhat recovered from its own financial farce, it appears Britain is heading to depression thanks to coalition gov’s great oppression, should nae affect me too much as working for Deloitte’s in Dubai seems a safe bet!! At least from Edinburgh!!

We will be residing somewhere near Emaar business park as work has arranged accommodation for the first month but for a more permanent place I am hoping to find something decent within Greens, Springs or Ranches . I'll be trawling these boards for info/tips but if anyone has a good starting point for me, please feel free to post here or PM.

Appreciate any help/advice offered and hope to make some new friends.

Cheers
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:53 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by sherri
Hello everyone,

Moving from Edinburgh to Dubai in March with family (wife & 2 kids). After 5 great years at the Bank (currently/soon to be ex Snr. Finance Systems Manager@Bank of Scotland) thought I’d take a few years career break and head out to somewhere drier and warmer.

Presumably, Dubai has somewhat recovered from its own financial farce, it appears Britain is heading to depression thanks to coalition gov’s great oppression, should nae affect me too much as working for Deloitte’s in Dubai seems a safe bet!! At least from Edinburgh!!

We will be residing somewhere near Emaar business park as work has arranged accommodation for the first month but for a more permanent place I am hoping to find something decent within Greens, Springs or Ranches . I'll be trawling these boards for info/tips but if anyone has a good starting point for me, please feel free to post here or PM.

Appreciate any help/advice offered and hope to make some new friends.

Cheers
Welcome to BE, sounds like you are all sorted. Take a look at The Lakes development as well, right next to the Greens and in my opinion superior to the Springs
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Welcome to BE, sounds like you are all sorted. Take a look at The Lakes development as well, right next to the Greens and in my opinion superior to the Springs
Thanks Blue Cat.

I have checked a couple of properties at The Lakes on dubizzle.com, rents are extortionate there . Currently I pay £1850pm mortgage (approx. aed 11000) for a very spacious 4 bedroom detached property in Edinburgh but it seems you get a pigeonhole in Dubai for that .

Luckily, the housing allowance is generous and I should be able to afford top-end but the plan is to settle for economy in the first year to build up liquidity and upgrade to first class if Dubai’s charm inspires us to settle there for longer.

I guess the biggest headache will be to secure a place at one of the schools we have shortlisted for our son (he’ll be 3 in April). We are looking at DBS, Kings Dubai or the Gems Wellington. We are hoping the admission at FS1 would not prove too challenging .
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:06 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by sherri
Thanks Blue Cat.

I have checked a couple of properties at The Lakes on dubizzle.com, rents are extortionate there . Currently I pay £1850pm mortgage (approx. aed 11000) for a very spacious 4 bedroom detached property in Edinburgh but it seems you get a pigeonhole in Dubai for that .

Luckily, the housing allowance is generous and I should be able to afford top-end but the plan is to settle for economy in the first year to build up liquidity and upgrade to first class if Dubai’s charm inspires us to settle there for longer.

I guess the biggest headache will be to secure a place at one of the schools we have shortlisted for our son (he’ll be 3 in April). We are looking at DBS, Kings Dubai or the Gems Wellington. We are hoping the admission at FS1 would not prove too challenging .
look at Regent International School my daughter is there, she has gone since she was three and we are very happy with the school
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

look at Regent International School my daughter is there, she has gone since she was three and we are very happy with the school
you on commission there ?

I helped build it btw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.